Julia Groberg Blair

December 28, 2012

Today is the 80th birthday of Julia Groberg Blair. Julia is the 2nd oldest of 11 siblings. The mother of 8 (Ben Blair is #7). The grandmother of 33. The great grandmother of 3. And a terrific mother-in-law.

Julia has been a teacher for most of her adult life. She is constantly reading and learning. Whenever I’m in her home, I notice a new stack of books that she’s reading her way through and then gifting to someone else who might find them interesting. With all that reading, she tries hard to keep an open mind — she never seems to assume her opinions are the one right way, and is earnestly interested in hearing opposing views. So admirable!

Julia is legendary in her generosity and her ability to open her home to one and all. Guest lists for gatherings at her house easily grow beyond capacity because she can’t stand the idea of anyone being left out.

Mother-in-laws have a reputation for being difficult to get along with but I got lucky. I love spending time with Julia — I think everyone does.

More on Julia? She loves nicknames, and here are her thoughts on pregnancy.

P.S. — The day after Christmas, Ben Blair flew to Utah so he wouldn’t miss his mom’s party. He’ll be back on Sunday. I miss him like crazy.

1 Winter December 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

I totally lucked out too–my mother-in-law is amazing and generous and kind! What a lovely tribute to yours!

2 mom in mendon December 28, 2012 at 10:55 am

You DID luck out, DM. Julia is a woman both regal and approachable at the same time. We adore her. Happy Birthday, Dear Friend.

3 Kim December 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Is that Betty and Oscar in the last photo? ;) Genetics are strong!

4 Darci December 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I think Ralph looks like grandpa

5 cbloe's mom December 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I can definitely see your children in those faces. I bet they are just as smart as they are beautiful – aren’t you so glad you married Ben? So great to see a couple love each other so much.

6 Kat December 28, 2012 at 9:14 pm

My julia turned 6 today. I love my mother in law as well and after reading your blog for several years I feel blessed to know my julia shares the same birthday with your Julia!

7 julia g blair December 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thanks millions, Gabby Dear! Especially tons of thanks for encouraging Ben to come home and surprise us! What a MARVELOUS surprise! We keep re-living the moment he burst through the door with his wonderful, warm smile. We’ve loved every moment of his being with us. You guys are so kind to share him for a couple of days. It is interesting to be 80. I am pleased that I believe I am a bit wiser than I was 20-30 years ago! So much to learn and so many to love and understand.

Love and appreciation to you all! Julia

8 Azra December 30, 2012 at 8:05 am

She is beautiful… and she seems lovely! Happy birthday to her and Happy New Year to all! XO

9 Cathy January 1, 2013 at 10:28 am

What is the first name of your father-in-law? And who are Julia’s parents? My husband’s roommate (930 Cedar, Provo) one year at BYU was Richard Groberg – any relation?

Life can be a very small world sometimes.

10 julia g blair January 2, 2013 at 8:53 am

Hi, Cathy! This is Julia Blair. My husband is Robert W. Blair. We did
have a home at 980 Cedar Ave. I have seven younger brothers. My maiden name is Groberg. Richard is one of my wonderful seven brothers. He’s still a great and successful man with an outstanding family. Thanks for asking!

11 E January 1, 2013 at 8:09 pm

The little girl in the photo looks just like your girls!

12 leska January 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Crazy how much Olive & Betty look like that girl on the far left! Sweet lady! You are blessed!