How Croissants are Made

December 28, 2012

By Koseli.

It may be all the sweets I’ve eaten in the last week or my ongoing obsession with finding the perfect croissant in New York City, but this video of how croissants are made is absolutely fascinating. Every detail, from the multiple layers of butter from the elasticity of the dough, has to be perfect in order for the final croissant to be moist and flaky. And the final result (especially the pain au chocolat!) looks mouthwateringly divine.

Do you have a favorite pastry or bakery? Are you a pastry chef extraordinaire?

P.S. — Remember this yummy visit to a French Bakery?

{ 2 trackbacks }

Whatever its Wednesday « KrisPix
January 2, 2013 at 4:52 pm
30/365: National Croissant Day « Eat My Words
January 30, 2013 at 2:02 pm

1 Nicole December 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

We are so lucky to have a french family bakery just down the road (Pierre Michel)! They used to have a shop in Paris, now they are here in Highlands Ranch, CO!!! Such a treat… yumm-o.

2 Koseli Cummings January 7, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Oh, so lucky!

3 Tanya December 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I’ve given up looking for something comparable to a French croissant or pain au chocolat here in DC. Trying to use American flour & butter is part of the problem. So I’ve resigned myself to periodically buying the croissants from Williams Sonoma. They are SPOT on in taste and flakiness. Sure, they’re a little pricey, but at least I know I won’t be disappointed.

4 Koseli Cummings January 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Oh, I’ve seen those online but never tried them. Good to know!

5 Darci December 28, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I’m totally going to the the French bakery on the ues tomorrow for a pain au chocolat!

6 kimberlee December 29, 2012 at 9:45 am

awesome video!

7 Valerie {all mussed up} December 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm

This video completely fascinated me! I watched the whole 10 minutes with wide eyes….do you remember the magical scene in “It’s Complicated” when Meryl Streep takes her date to her bakery in the middle of the night and makes pain au chocolat from scratch for him? Sigh.

8 Ilene December 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Fascinating video. No wonder croissants are so yummy, lots of butter and sugar! Makes you really appreciate a great baker.

9 Heather December 31, 2012 at 11:28 am

Great video! The other day my son had croissants for snack at preschool and he came home telling me “We ate bread shaped like tornados!” He has forever changed how I look at croissants. :)

10 Koseli Cummings January 7, 2013 at 6:34 pm

That is so cute, Heather! A tornado of deliciousness. And what a decadent preschool snack.

11 Jennifer January 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm

There is nothing like a warm Parisan croissant! Loved the video!!!! I’m out if luck here in Utah county!

12 gillian January 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm

great video! there aren’t many great croissants here in the midwest but i’ve found that the frozen ones at trader joes that you proof overnight and then bake are pretty fantastic.

13 Koseli Cummings January 7, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I’ve never tried those. Thanks for the tip!

14 Colleen January 7, 2013 at 3:25 pm

My boyfriend lived in Lagos, Portugal for a whil and when he took me there on holidays few years ago he took me to the most wonderful cafe, who made fresh croissants and not much else. Every morning I had one filled with chocolate and banana…I had never found the supermarket croissant offerings to be very appealing, but oh my. What an introduction to croissants this shop was!

15 Koseli Cummings January 7, 2013 at 6:36 pm

That sounds incredible romantic, Colleen. So lovely.