DIY: Balsa Wood Gift Tags

December 21, 2012

By Jordan of Polkadot Press Edited by Amy Christie

These balsa wood gift tags are a quick way to jazz up your Christmas gifts. An added bonus is they’re simple enough for little hands to help with. If your children are anything like my 4-year-old, they’ll love stamping and punching holes in the balsa wood!

You’ll probably have everything you need on hand except the Balsa wood, which is easy to come by and quite inexpensive. I bought one length from a craft store and I will have enough for all my tags!

Grab those wrapped gifts and let’s get started.

Here’s what you’ll need:

-Balsa Wood – found in Michael’s or most craft or hobby shops
-Letter stamps (coloured markers could work)
-Stamp Pad
-Craft knife
-Ruler & cutting mat
-Hole Punch
-Ribbon for hanging

Cut your balsa wood to the size you would like. I used a 4″ x 0.75″ long tag. But you could make more of a square size if you prefer.

Using your letter stamps and stamp pad, add your names or Christmas message. These dry almost immediately given the absorption of the wood.

Punch a hole in your balsa wood. I used an old leather punch I had on hand that gave me different sized holes, but a regular single hole punch would work fine, or even a sharp pencil works; the joys of the soft Balsa wood!

Attach some ribbon and voila…personalized presents!

Balsa wood would also make darling napkin ring place cards!

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas enjoying family, friends and making wonderful memories!

Images by Jordan of Polkadot Prints for Design Mom.

{ 1 trackback }

Last Minute DIY Christmas Gift Wrap Ideas
April 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm

1 The New Diplomats Wife December 21, 2012 at 8:14 am

Love this idea – i have that exact same set of stamps and i’ve been using them for all kinds of tags and place cards but never thought about balsa wood. Note to self. Love the simple white wrapping with red and white ribbon – you wrap like a girl after my own heart!

2 Jordan - Polkadot Prints January 1, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Nice to have a fellow white & red lover. So classic and is so perfectly “christmas” to me : )

3 Diana December 21, 2012 at 8:26 am

Cute idea! Also, spelling alert … it’s “voila” not “viola,” which is a musical instrument. :)

4 Ann December 21, 2012 at 9:56 am

Oh, I like that idea! I love that type of ribbon too. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

5 Sharon @ Discovering Blog December 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm

These are awfully cute! Sweet, simple, and cheap.

6 nicole h December 22, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Very cute, and I have to add my daughter was very excited and surprised to see her name in the first photo. She kept asking if I “did something” to the computer to make it say Ellie in the picture. lol

7 Jordan - Polkadot Prints January 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Haha, that’s cute! Great taste in names Nicole : )

8 Azra December 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Great idea!

9 Corinne December 24, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Pretty! Love them. What a beautiful idea.

10 Annette January 28, 2014 at 10:10 am

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning
this write-up plus the rest of the site is also really good.

11 Cathleen January 28, 2014 at 1:23 pm

This is the perfect website for anyone who
wants to find out about this topic. You know so much
its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually will need
to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic which has been written about for decades.

Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!

12 Casual Sex Sacramento January 29, 2014 at 5:44 pm

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 25
foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it
with someone!