Bookplates

December 5, 2012

personalized bookplate by Oiseaux

By Gabrielle.

Do you use bookplates? I don’t. But every time I see them I vow to collect the prettiest ones and add them to every book in our collection. I really like the idea of the books being handed down someday with book plates or notes in the margins — evidence the volumes were held and loved by our little family.

These beautiful options from Oiseaux are made from vintage children’s book illustrations. They’d be charming in a stocking. And they’d made good gifts for the members of your book club.

personalized bookplate by Oiseaux personalized bookplate by Oiseaux

1 kassandra December 5, 2012 at 7:35 am

my daughter has the first one (only her name is penelope). i haven’t used them yet because she loves to take stickers off of things (including her growth chart). i did frame because it is so beautiful and to remind me apply them to her books one day.

2 Design Mom December 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

What a great idea to frame one! Such a treasure.

3 Jess December 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

One of my favourite things is finding old bookplates, notes etc. in secondhand books! I love thinking about the people who enjoyed a story before me.

4 aimee @ smilingmama December 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

I love giving personalized book plates as a new baby gift — especially when I know the parents are bibliophiles!

5 Sara @ What About Sara December 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm

What an awesome idea! Thanks for the shop recommendation; will put this on my list for my little guy’s first birthday in June :)

6 Amy December 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I am in the Pathway program from Brigham Young University-Idaho, and we recently had a lesson on marking books/taking notes. There was a short essay we read titled, “How to Mark a Book”. Mortimer Allen is very passionate about marking books.

7 Kristen E December 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Yes, I love getting interesting bookplates! I put them on my favorite books. Not the cheapo copies that I know I’ll give away, but the good ones that I can’t live without. :) My current favorites need to be licked to apply them, and I like that.

8 valerie December 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

put a lovely stack of that very one (top photo) in my daughter’s stocking a couple of years ago. lovely.

9 CMN December 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Bookplates? Oh yes! Absolutely! I used to love watching my Dad apply a bookplate to each new book he acquired. When I started building my own library, I immediately looked for bookplates of my own to use. (And possibly pinched a few of his blank ones, when necessary. But we don’t admit to that!) Over the years, the plates I’ve used have changed, but I love the variety.

Plus, I’ve learned from experience that it helps to make sure my books come safely home when borrowed by anyone in the extended family. A few books have been lost over the years — or I just couldn’t be sure if the book I saw lying at someone’s house was mine or not. So now nothing goes out the door without a book plate. ;)

Long live the bookplate!

10 Karen Gardner December 6, 2012 at 7:18 am

You’re right that bookplates make wonderful stocking stuffers! And many people give them as baby gifts. Please consider checking out the many designs at our website, http://www.bookplateink.com. We have many classic bookplate designs from the now defunct Antioch Bookplate Company, plus some newer designs, including designs by Mary Engelbreit.

Thank you!