December 5, 2012

personalized bookplate by Oiseaux

By Gabrielle.

Do you use bookplates? I don’t. But every time I see them I vow to collect the prettiest ones and add them to every book in our collection. I really like the idea of the books being handed down someday with book plates or notes in the margins — evidence the volumes were held and loved by our little family.

These beautiful options from Oiseaux are made from vintage children’s book illustrations. They’d be charming in a stocking. And they’d made good gifts for the members of your book club.

personalized bookplate by Oiseaux personalized bookplate by Oiseaux

1 kassandra December 5, 2012 at 7:35 am

my daughter has the first one (only her name is penelope). i haven’t used them yet because she loves to take stickers off of things (including her growth chart). i did frame because it is so beautiful and to remind me apply them to her books one day.

2 Design Mom December 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

What a great idea to frame one! Such a treasure.

3 Jess December 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

One of my favourite things is finding old bookplates, notes etc. in secondhand books! I love thinking about the people who enjoyed a story before me.

4 aimee @ smilingmama December 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

I love giving personalized book plates as a new baby gift — especially when I know the parents are bibliophiles!

5 Sara @ What About Sara December 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm

What an awesome idea! Thanks for the shop recommendation; will put this on my list for my little guy’s first birthday in June :)

6 Amy December 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I am in the Pathway program from Brigham Young University-Idaho, and we recently had a lesson on marking books/taking notes. There was a short essay we read titled, “How to Mark a Book”. Mortimer Allen is very passionate about marking books.

7 Kristen E December 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Yes, I love getting interesting bookplates! I put them on my favorite books. Not the cheapo copies that I know I’ll give away, but the good ones that I can’t live without. :) My current favorites need to be licked to apply them, and I like that.

8 valerie December 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

put a lovely stack of that very one (top photo) in my daughter’s stocking a couple of years ago. lovely.

9 CMN December 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Bookplates? Oh yes! Absolutely! I used to love watching my Dad apply a bookplate to each new book he acquired. When I started building my own library, I immediately looked for bookplates of my own to use. (And possibly pinched a few of his blank ones, when necessary. But we don’t admit to that!) Over the years, the plates I’ve used have changed, but I love the variety.

Plus, I’ve learned from experience that it helps to make sure my books come safely home when borrowed by anyone in the extended family. A few books have been lost over the years — or I just couldn’t be sure if the book I saw lying at someone’s house was mine or not. So now nothing goes out the door without a book plate. ;)

Long live the bookplate!

10 Karen Gardner December 6, 2012 at 7:18 am

You’re right that bookplates make wonderful stocking stuffers! And many people give them as baby gifts. Please consider checking out the many designs at our website, We have many classic bookplate designs from the now defunct Antioch Bookplate Company, plus some newer designs, including designs by Mary Engelbreit.

Thank you!