Winter Chic

November 28, 2012

By Gabrielle.

I’m drawn to flannel during winter months, but pulling off a chic ensemble that looks less lumberjack than lovely is a tough trick. I’ve found that a tailored fit is the right beginning. Adding skinny pants, toasty boots with a hint of knit stockings peeking out, incongruous accessories, pink cheeks, and a warm mug of cocoa doesn’t hurt the look, either.

It’s the same with most chill-weather gear, isn’t it? The best hats are often a little goofy. Your favorite Saturday sweater is shapeless. Your hand-knit scarf has seen better days, two winters ago. Puffy coats feel perfect mid-December…until you catch sight of your puffy profile! Tell me: how do you keep warm and keep your sense of style, too? All tips welcome!

Flannel style found here and here. Giant scarf found here.

{ 1 trackback }

Layering for the cold. |
February 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm

1 Giulia November 28, 2012 at 8:34 am

Move to a warmer country! I loved winter in Switzerland where it was more mild and I got to wear several type of boots styles and a wool coat got you through the winter. Here in Canada I have the puffy coat and the pair of boots that can get me through snow drifts…by January I can’t take it anymore!

2 Design Mom November 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

Hah! Sometimes I daydream of life in San Diego.

3 julia [life on churchill] November 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

I feel the same way about Minnesota. January is tough!

4 Azra November 28, 2012 at 9:20 am

I was complaining this morning about the winter and how we should move somewhere warmer … to California. We live in freezing New England.
I am not a fan of cold, but I love to ski and skate and I love watching the mountains of snow. So pretty.

I have a North Face arctic parka, which is really warm and pretty tailored for a winter jacket. This winter I am wearing a Gap hat (not big fans of hats) inspired by this post http://www.lecatch.com/2012/11/bean-town.html
And I would love to add some chunky scarf… but maybe with my parka it would be too much.

My friend has a really, really nice parka by Canada Goose. It is perfectly tailored, super light but so warm. And she looks super cool.

5 Design Mom November 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

The Canada Goose parka sounds lovely. I’m getting by with this parka:

I’ve had it for a couple of years. I especially love it during December because I feel so festive in red.

6 Laurie November 28, 2012 at 9:59 am

Canada Goose coats are the best!

7 Lori November 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

I live in Maine, and don’t even own a winter coat. I wear layers, then top it with my windbloc fleece and down vest. Sometimes I will put my rain coat over my fleece and that is fairly warm. I have yet to find a good warm winter coat that would fit better than my layering options.

8 Design Mom November 28, 2012 at 11:49 am

I think layering is an art! I’ve become much better at it here, but I think I would need to live in a Nordic country — or Maine! — to become really good at it.

9 Shannon Bradley-Colleary November 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

I daydream of wintery places. Madness I know. But there’s something about perimenopause in Southern California that doesn’t encourage a fashionable style. I’m frequently just running around wearing nothing but a grape leaf and a smile.

10 Design Mom November 28, 2012 at 11:50 am

I happen to know you owe yourself a Paris trip. Paris in the winter is lovely.

11 julia [life on churchill] November 28, 2012 at 11:51 am

I invested in a good pair of tall keen boots a few years ago. I really would like to get a 2nd pair to change it up a bit! also recently bought a headband from h&m http://www.hm.com/us/product/02078?article=02078-C it works for when my hair is in a ponytail

12 unfounddoor November 28, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Thermal longjohns!
And a big massive scarf like that last picture. And it turns out my mum was right – wearing a wooly hat really will keep you warmer (now avoiding hat hair – thats something I’d love tips on;)

13 unfounddoor November 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm

You’re right, I think feeling stylish still s all about proportions – definitely agree that skinny trousers are key to offsetting 6 layers of cardigans!

14 Rosa @ FlutterFlutter November 28, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I adore the layered winter look!!! I just picked up a bunch of really long knit socks from H&M and I am LOVING them over skinny jeans with my new Frye boots. Yay for the little pleasures! :) xo

15 Design Mom November 30, 2012 at 12:57 am

I’ve been coveting a pair of Frye boots for years. They’re so gorgeous!

16 Anna Newell Jones November 28, 2012 at 7:06 pm

love the mix of practical, cozy, and feminine- so cute…

17 PinonCoffee November 28, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’ve been wearing my big sparkly necklace over flannel! And a little lipstick doesn’t hurt, either. :-)

18 Design Mom November 30, 2012 at 12:57 am

I’m with you on the lipstick.

19 We Heart Home November 29, 2012 at 4:29 am

Hi Gabrielle,

Lovely the flannel shirt with that skirt and necklace – definitely an idea for this weather. Here in Berlin it is already 0 degrees some days… it gets to minus 25 in Jan and feb.. might need more than just a woolly hat by that time :S

Anyone fancy a trip to the bahamas??!

Trisha Xx

20 kimberly November 29, 2012 at 8:21 am

we moved from northern california to colorado two years ago and i am still trying to figure out the layering game.
now that i have a 7 month old, it’s vital that i get him bundled well, too.
thankful we’ve had mild winters thus far…i’m such a wimp.
love reading through these comments.
thanks.

21 Design Mom November 30, 2012 at 12:59 am

Little June was a Colorado baby. I loved staying in with her on snowy days and nursing by the fireplace. Good memories.

22 Koseli Cummings November 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Proportions are key, I think. If I”m wearing a puffer, I need skinny jeans or leggings. If I’m working boyfriend jeans, better off with a straight wool coat. At the end of the day, all I want to be is warm so I’m totally willing to sacrifice fashion to make that work.

Also, love my warm Loeffler Randall rain boots for wet, cold days. Surprisingly warm and they look like real shoes. They’re pricey but I wear them several times a week and walk miles in them with no problem. http://www.loefflerrandall.com/LRProduct.aspx?ProductID=420&CategoryID=68