Trees

November 5, 2012

By Koseli.

Tall, graceful, stoic, sure. Trees mark the surety of one season’s end and another’s beginning. Full green leaves, to burnt oranges and reds, then bare windy branches until tiny buds burst under the sunshine. My favorite are Aspens. I love their rounded leaves that glitter like gold coins in the sun. Though it’s been years since I’ve lived near an Aspen, I can perfectly recall the sound of wind in Aspen leaves and find myself lost in memories of home.

Do you have a favorite tree? Or a fond memory of a tree? The smell of pine on a cold night reminds me of the night I told my parents I was getting married.

P.S. — Bryan Nash Gill uses relief printing and a specific rubbing technique to create large prints from the cross-section of trees. Aren’t they beautiful? If you like them, you can buy a whole book.

1 Patricia | unfounddoor November 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

I really like the tree rubbings – much better than the bark rubbings we used to do as kids.

Favourite tree? That’s harder than favourite flower… but I think 3 right now? Rowan trees are powerful protective, Roman Pines are elegant and Monkey Puzzles are fun. And all trees that are good for climbing.

2 amyks November 5, 2012 at 9:46 am

My all time favorite tree is a birch tree!!! We had a couple in my yard growing up.

3 TennesseeCassie November 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

I go gaga for trees!!! I have a favorite Ginkgo in our backyard. We also live near an arboretum with beautiful walking paths and indentifying plaques.

4 Koseli November 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I love paths through groves of trees. They make me feel small and curious.

5 Sarah November 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I have to chime in on this one too! I do love trees! So much so that we named our kids after them! We have an Aspen, Cedar, Olive, and Linden plus one more girl that is yet to be born and as such, yet to be named! Trees carry such great messages. Aspen is for family roots, Cedar is sacred and from the bible, as is Olive, Lindens are sturdy and strong yet beautiful and inviting! Yea for trees!

6 Koseli November 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm

You do love trees! I love it. Those are beautiful names.

7 Erin November 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm

When I see those giant, really old trees, I wonder what secrets they could tell. I imagine generations picnicking underneath, children climbing the lower branches, a reader relaxing against the trunk, or couples stealing a private moment in the shade. Such history!

8 Koseli November 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Yes, they’re like wise, silent stoics.