Tiny Treasures: Twinkle Lights

November 14, 2012

Twinkle Lights for soft indoor lighting all winter. Helps fight SAD, too

By Koseli.

Today’s Tiny Treasure is twinkle lights. They’re inexpensive and commonplace, but my-oh-my they make a home feel warm and welcoming. Once a chill hits the air, my family strings up one or two strands of tiny white lights on each mantel and turns them on at dusk. (Which is before five o’clock these days!) It instantly brightens my mood and makes our apartment feel festive and cozy. I’ve been known to keep them up through February!

Any one else affected by grey days and early sunsets? Do you have dark-too-early wintertime solutions? Have you ever tried a blue light?

P.S. — I keep coming back to Gabrielle’s DIY glass bottles of light as a lovely way to bring some twinkle indoors during the winter.

1 Azra November 14, 2012 at 7:36 am

That is a great idea. I need something to brighten up my house and my mood as well. I am not a winter person at all. Thank you.

2 Grace @ sense and simplicity November 14, 2012 at 7:38 am

We eat by candlelight almost every evening once we hit the dark days of winter (which is about 6 months of the year here in Toronto). I love the little twinkle lights too.

3 Koseli Cummings November 14, 2012 at 8:01 am

Grace, that sounds so romantic and moody. That’s a great idea.

4 Maria November 14, 2012 at 8:07 am

We have these lights all over our house at all times. People come over in like May and say, “You have Christmas lights up still?” And I say nope, these are twinkle lights and they make me happy all year long. It just doesn’t feel like my kitchen, unless the window is surrounded by white twinkle lights. They do make me so happy.

Also, did I miss the latest giveaway winner?

5 Maria November 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

Oh nevermind! I see it!!

6 Gina November 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

I am a total sun baby so any light is good light. My husband and I don’t look forward to short days… except for the skiing! :)

7 Koseli Cummings December 5, 2012 at 6:27 am

Ditto.

8 Gabriele November 14, 2012 at 9:07 am

I agree with Maria, twinkle lights all year long. http://backontheflooragain.blogspot.com/2012/11/twinkle-lights.html

9 Jennifer November 14, 2012 at 10:04 am

My mom has twinkle lights in her living room all year long, and the effect is really lovely. Maine having a pretty long season of dark and cozy. We bought an electric fireplace heater, and I thought I’d cringe at the artificial flames, but I must say it’s made our den/sun nook a very cozy spot during the long cold nights. Thanks for this article, I may just have to put up some twinkle lights myself!

10 Dale Coykendall November 14, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Twinkle lights are one of the first things my daughter packs as she heads back to a new school year.(Really warms and cheers up a drab dorm or apartment)We made some sparkling casual metallic shades for a strand last solstice out of gold mesh I had left over… Added another subtlety to them
Thanks ! Dale

11 Miss Lindsey D November 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm

we are also white light fans! It is amazing the giant warmth that a tiny white light can bring – there’s a good metaphor there :)

12 A Day in May Design November 18, 2012 at 12:16 am

You definitely can’t go wrong with twinkle lights! My mood is definitely affected by the early dusk so this will be fun to try at home :).

13 Vanessa January 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm

What a wonderful idea! I love the look of this: soft, warm, and romantic. I am from California and have never seen these small, twinkling lights in store. Where do you think I can purchase these for cheap? There are craft stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michael’s. Think I should check there?

14 David Paterson March 13, 2013 at 6:32 am

Where can I buy these lights as I want them for my conservatory