Tiny Tiny House

November 6, 2012

By Koseli.

This house re-defines tight quarters. Malissa’s tiny but gorgeous 170 ft. home in Washington won Apartment Therapy’s Small Cool Contest this year. As one of the commenters brilliantly called it: Smallest. Coolest. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Marissa lives in her wood-filled house with her husband and their two cats.

Is your favorite home you’ve ever lived in cozy and tight or overflowing with extra floor space and lofty ceilings? After living in a 250 sq. ft. apartment for one year, my husband and I upgraded to an airy one-bedroom. Believe me when I say that even after two years and one addition to the family, we still feel like we live in a palace!

P.S. — More small: firetruck guest house and tiny victorian cottage.

1 Angela DeMuro November 6, 2012 at 7:44 am

Wow, very charming. It reminds me of a story book tree house!

2 Corrie Anne November 6, 2012 at 7:46 am

That’s adorable!! I clicked on the link, and the loft bed looks pretty amazing.

3 val November 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love the creative use of materials for the shower. The entire house is delightfully charming. How fun!

4 Sarah Barksdale Design November 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

Goodness that house is so small! Its like a real life tree house! Love it

5 Laurie Wirgler November 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

Love the amazingly warm feel!

6 CMN November 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

So lovely. And charming! However. However! My first thought was “Where will they keep their books??” LOL! I guess I wouldn’t be a good fit for that space, if I’m wondering where to put all the books. :)

7 Lynne December 27, 2012 at 11:42 am

Your reply made me smile – I think it’s just a question of your own personal prioroties.
If your priority is keeping lots of books, make a wall of books! I hear they are fantastic insulation so go for it!
I admit it has made me look at the space I inhabit and I know I don’t use all of it when I’m on my own. So I’m going to chart which space I use most of the time, see which space can be dual purpose and plan accordingly.
Exciting, isn’t it?

8 Heather November 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Does this tiny have a toilet?

9 Amanda November 6, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Ah, I love it! Just my style. Thanks for sharing :)

10 Bestof2sisters November 7, 2012 at 4:59 am

VERY cozy, but I worry about where would you keep your stuff? Your clothes? Books? And you know, stuff? I’d love this as a homey little retreat in the mountains:)

11 invitation consultants November 7, 2012 at 8:43 am

adorably quaint space!

12 Stephanie November 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Love that shower! If you live in a house that small, you dont have many books and “stuff”. Our 900+ sq. ft. row house is plenty big for soon-to-be 4 of us and a cat. Although, I do wish we had a proper guest room.

13 Andrew January 16, 2013 at 2:45 am
14 mary January 17, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Love the use of materials in the house and lighting. I would have tiled the entire area shower is in and put on a glass door though. I can just imagine the shower curtain sticking to my body otherwise. For those needing book cases, I got tired of dusting mine so I gave mine to charity and visit my library once a week and also bought a Nook, tons of great books are free out there waiting to be downloaded and read.