Statement Tees

November 6, 2012

By Raleigh-Elizabeth.

Between you and me, I like to keep my brand choices to myself. I’m always pleased when I can snag a great deal at Target or find a super steal on the sales rack of a fancy department store, but I never buy a t-shirt that tells you exactly where I got it. There’s something about spending forty dollars to be a walking advertisement for a store in the mall that feels wrong to me.

But some statement tees make me happy. More than ever, I’m loving my I Heart NY shirt, although a t-shirt can’t begin to adequately profess my affection for or solidarity with that city. I’ll even admit to owning an almost-hipster pop cultural reference tee: it says Ice Ice Baby with two bags of ice and a picture of a baby, and I’m convinced that it makes me the coolest cat at the gym whenever I wear it. (We can all admit that even the way I phrased that precludes me from being the coolest cat anywhere.)

Are you as brand averse as I am? Or do you have a statement tee that you love and wear and will never give up, hoping someone will notice, smile, and realize instantly how absolutely awesome you are?

I Love New York as art.

1 Heather November 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I am also pretty statement tee averse, BUT I just recently purchased a tee with Khaleesi written across the chest. In case you haven’t seen Game of Thrones, “Khaleesi” means queen in Dothraki (google it…would take too long to explain). I LOVE that shirt and want to wear it all the time even though I feel like I’m promoting a show.

2 Amy November 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Ditto! The brand or price tag shouldn’t matter if it fits well, looks appropriate, and makes you feel good!

3 Emily November 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I am absolutely with you. Especially with my children’s clothes. I go to great lengths to find sweatshirts that don’t scream “I BOUGHT THIS AT . . . ” for my 3 boys. Just give me good, fleecy, navy comfort with a zipper and hood. That’s all I need.

4 Chrissy November 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’m not against a statement, but I don’t own any. I guess I enjoy reading others’ shirts. HOWEVER, I cannot stand brands being advertised for free, especially on my children’s clothing. I try to get creative and cover up the brand name, which is usually a hand-me-down or thrift buy anyhow.

5 April Louise November 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’ve always wanted an I heart ny tee, but this is one of a kind, I love it and I love the fact that it’s off-white.

6 Tasha November 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm

It would look great with a pair of true ballet pink flats!

7 jo November 6, 2012 at 4:45 pm

i don’t like brand tees. but i do like funny quirky tees or band tees. i used to have one that said, “similes are like metaphors” and i thought it was so funny. i also had one that had the state flag of colorado, my home state, on it. i loved that tee shirt to death. :)

8 Tasha November 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I hear and agree with you all…not offended by any brand name merch, and in fact have worn some myself I’m sure, but I’d rather a good, leather Italian vs. a Coach or whatever bag that everyone else has (not that they’re bad). I just don’t get it. Although working in a junior high I see this with kids all the time, and I get it at that age…but the kids with flair, that stand out are the “artsy” ones who dress their own way, and look confident while doing so. Too bad we as a culture don’t have this acceptance and inner strength projecting to the world. ♥

9 Lori November 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm

So right on.

If Old Navy wants me to advertise for them they’ll have to pay ME.

(that said, my kids have several “branded” shirts they got as hand me downs, and I don’t have a problem with them wearing them…because I didn’t pay for them. :))

10 Ali November 6, 2012 at 7:49 pm

If you have to walk around with words on-have it say something funny,or about something you believe in,or even the name of a place you love-not just a store.Not just “I bought this blank brand”.

11 Esther November 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

i’m with you! i’ve always hated anything with a brand or logo on it. but that shirt is amazing!

12 Nina November 7, 2012 at 5:50 am

My 2-year old son wears a lot of fun t-shirts, short or long sleeved, that I buy at J. Crew, Carter’s and Circo/Target. Yesterday at Target I got him a bright blue one with five different kinds of mustaches to honor Movember ;)

I’d love to find fun t-shirts in adult sizes too! Anyone know where I could start looking?

13 Miss Lindsey D November 7, 2012 at 6:03 am

Completely agreed, with not wanting to advertise brands, but we do love showing off the things we love, brands, our hometown and such. Have you checked out Everlane yet? They have very high quality yet dare we say cheap t-shirts – no branding to be seen but the tag.

14 Alysa November 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm

When I was in high school, I got a shirt in a bag of hand-me-downs — I can’t even remember who it was from. Most of the stuff went to my little brother, but there was a shirt I had to have.

Black shirt, white print. It said, “Baker/Ride or Die” and I just loved wearing it. Baker is (or was?) a skateboard company, and I don’t skateboard. But I’ve always wished I could.

The shirt made for great conversation — “what’s Baker?” from non-skaters and “you skateboard?!?” from skaters. It gave me a chance to talk about how I wished I could skateboard, and somehow made me feel like I was very hardcore (even though I was a total wannabe and did not “ride or die”). :)