Silver And Gold

November 1, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Remember when you wouldn’t be caught dead wearing gold earrings with silver bangles? Or the seemingly monumental pressure involved in choosing an engagement ring and wedding band that wouldn’t clash with the other jewelry you’d be wearing for the rest of your married life? (Those first decisions seem so huge, don’t they?) Silver or gold; is it a difficult choice for you? And is the unspoken rule still one finish at a time?

Lately, I’m drawn to the rule-breaking style of pairing silver and gold. What once looked a bit mismatched now feels beyond chic. Tell me: Do you mix your metals?

Blend found here.

P.S. — Are you enjoying the first day of November?

1 shelley Taylor November 1, 2012 at 8:40 am

I’m a mixer. Married in the early 90s, I sport gold wedding rings. When silver became more popular, I quickly got over the one-metal-at-a-time mentality. Now I just wear what I like, and it somehow always seems to work.

2 Summer November 1, 2012 at 8:54 am

I’ve been a mixer for the last 10 years or so. My birthday is in May, and it’s damn near impossible to find emerald and white gold. So, I just started wearing my one gold ring with my regular silver jewelry. Nowadays, I’m always wearing gold, so it’s my diamond ring in white gold that’s usually the odd man out. Haha, but I think it looks good!

3 Sarah Barksdale Design November 1, 2012 at 9:09 am

I dont mind mixing metals either…. gold is my favorite to wear, but my wedding rings are silver. I love that Colby June jewelry, its really gorgeous

4 Katt November 1, 2012 at 9:10 am

I am a mixer. My wedding set is white gold. I wear a ring on my middle finger usually all of the time that is either silver or white gold. On the other hand I have yellow gold and sliver. Earrings and necklaces I always mix.

5 Kelly November 1, 2012 at 9:14 am

Yes! Mixing finishes is very chic – mix away!

6 Hannah Alexander November 1, 2012 at 10:03 am

Silver and gold, brown and black, french fries and ice cream…mix it up!

7 Chelsey November 1, 2012 at 10:09 am

I’m right there with you! I love mixing metals now, and brown and black would have been an utter nightmare before, but now I’m drawn to it. Funny how things change.

8 Miss Lindsey D November 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

In 7th grade I picked out some sliver eyeglass frames on a whim and it dictated my jewelry decisions really up until the last year. It wasn’t until I inherited some beautiful gold and garnet jewelry from my grandmother that I started to mix simply because I wanted to wear other pieces so badly. I’m still a bit cautious about it but I agree with you mixing feels chic. I’ve been a big fan lately of mixing silver and bronze. Mix away we say!

9 Azra November 1, 2012 at 10:54 am

Yes, I do. Mixing them is very chic, as you said.

10 Lori B November 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’ve only ever worn silver jewelry (gold doesn’t suit my colouring) but my engagement and wedding rings are gold- and I love them! My husband picked them out, and though they’re not what I would have chosen, I can honestly say that he got it exactly right- the style and shape suit my tiny hands, and the gold that looks awful near my face looks just fine on my finger :) Nineteen years on, I still smile every time I catch sight of them…

11 Kate November 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Ha! I have always worn gold and silver together. My engagement ring is platinum (picked by hubby). We went wedding ring shopping one christmas eve and we just couldn’t decide on matching platinum rings so we both went for yellow gold.
To quote the frowning jeweller “It’s very unusual to select different coloured metals” – well, I like being different. However, when we got home and telephoned the in-laws, my mother in law confessed that her wedding ring was yellow gold and her engagement ring was vintage platinum. Perhaps a good omen?!

12 Lana Cole November 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

We got a rose gold engagement ring, which I adore. But I also wanted it because I knew that the peachy gold would blend with other golds and other metals just the same. My husband has 4 rings. A titanium one, a copper one, a gold wedding band that was my mothers! and a cheap silver “One Ring to Rule them All” he loves to wear different ones on different days.

13 christie November 1, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I mix not only silver and gold, but the rose gold as well. Best with a LBD.

14 Heather November 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I mix all three rose, gold and white! I’ve always been inspired to by my dad’s tri-colored wedding band and family heirlooms of black hills gold (on one side of the family) and turquoise which is always paired with silver (from the other side of the family). I think wearing all of the above connects me with my ancestors and makes me feel super chic!

15 Dee November 1, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I didn’t think of myself as a mixer, but I routinely wear silver earrings or bracelets with my yellow gold wedding band. So, I guess I do!

16 Katherine November 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm

All of my jewelry was white gold or platinum but now I am loving yellow gold so I am finding that I am turning into a mixer. Mix away!

17 Vanessa November 1, 2012 at 6:21 pm

What a lovely hand in the picture! I look best in gold, but I’m a mixer as well. Took me quite awhile to get used to it!

18 Jackie November 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Others break rules so well but I can’t bring myself to do it. No mix metals. No navy and black or brown and black and no multi patterns. I know its trendy to break fashion rules but I just think it looks bad on me when I try.

19 Kelly November 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I break it all the time. I wear 3 tiny stacking rings every day – silver, gold and rose gold. Rules don’t apply if it makes you happy!