DIY: Reusable Advent Calendar

November 29, 2012

By Amy Christie.

Advent calendars are such excitement builders and I’m a big fan. It’s that little something extra to look forward to on each day of this festive season.

Now that I have little ones, I like seeing the twinkle in their eyes as they open the day’s tiny package, and it’s wonderful to take an advent-time-out together. They enjoy the treats and small gifts while I read from an advent book. I’m planning to add in Christmas verses this year as well.

Easy Advent Calendar DIY. Reusable! No sew!
Easy Advent Calendar DIY. Reusable! No sew!
Easy Advent Calendar DIY. Reusable! No sew!

December doesn’t begin for another two days, so don’t fret. You still have time! And with this very simple no-sew-yet-reuseable advent calendar, you’ll put yours together in a snap.

Supplies:

-fabric
-circle stencil or bowl
-pinking shears
-baker’s twine
-1-25 numbers ready to print
-fusible web for fabric, like this
-ornament hooks
-treats, sweets, little gifts, Christmas verses, activities to do as a family

Lay out the fabric, trace enough circles for all of the days and cut them out with the pinking sheers.

Next, cut a piece of fabric to the size of a piece of printer paper. Iron this piece of fabric to a piece of fusible web of the same size. The fusible web will make the fabric stiffer and more paper like which allow it to pass through a printer.

Print the number document on the piece of fabric/fusible web.

Cut out the numbers, peel off the paper backing of the fusible web and iron it in place based on the time recommended by the manufacturer.

When the number badges are securely attached, fill the pouches with goodies or small gifts.

Tie them up. Then display them in a basket, on a shelf or window sill. Or, using an ornament hook, hang the goodie pouches from fallen branches. Then let the fun begin!

Happy Advent!

P.S. — Gabrielle likes to include holiday activities in her advent calendar — like taking a drive to see Christmas lights, reading a particular book, or going to the Nutcracker. What do you put in your advent calendar?

{ 15 trackbacks }

December 1, 2013 at 3:51 am
Twelve Days of Christmas – Day 1, The advent calendar |
December 1, 2013 at 6:53 am
The First Week of Christmas on Pinterest - Simple Sojourns
December 6, 2013 at 11:01 am

1 This girl loves to talk November 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm

great advent! And has plenty of candy to be shared! I find I struggle with four kids – many advent calendar are too tiny to hold enough of something for each kid. I’ve done take turns in being the one to open it, but then I had to keep track very closely to ensure no fights!
I’ve made 3 advent calendars this year! We’ve made a jesus one out of pictures cut from the ensign, I’ve made a sewn brown paper envelope one filled with christmas jokes and tiny silver ornaments and a candy one based loosely on a candy leis (candy wrapped in cellophane and tied off, then another in a long sausage shape)

I make a new advent calendar each year – its fun to mix it up.. I might use this idea next year thanks!

2 Dale Coykendall November 29, 2012 at 5:59 pm

We like to make new ones every year also… so many ideas to mess around with Haven’t really had / made anything heirloom worthy it’s fun to keep it easy and loose
Dale

3 Melissa Ritacco November 29, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I love this idea!

4 julie November 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I just sent our Advent calendar to my oldest son for our first grand-baby’s first Christmas. I sent along a note to his wife so she would know how we used it:
When there was only 2 little boys, that meant one got the candy cane, (and the other got one too!) Then when our 3rd came along, we switched to plastic candy canes, and the one whose day it was to remove the candy cane got to choose a chocolate from a little Christmas tin. As they got older the tin was filled with little notes and the one who had the day chose one. The notes said things like:
Stay up 30 minutes past bedtime, or have an extra dessert tonight, or choose the bedtime story. It was some immediate reward that made their night just for them. They would watch TV with Dad, or have something just for them while the brothers were in bed.
Then there were times in the growing up when the notes might include something like: Do something nice for a brother, or help a brother with a chore. (After all, friends will come and go, but a brother is a brother forever—) I still see that they are the most thoughtful and loving brothers I’ve ever seen.
Eventually they just got to remove a candy cane, and everyone got candy. Then they started taking off the candy canes in reverse order, or taking two at a time, or all of their special ones at a time. It got crazy and funny. They fought over who would start the calendar because they all wanted to be the one to take off the last one. They were all such mathematicians!
You can be creative and do whatever your family decides and it will grow as baby does and understands more, but just be sure to remember to teach him to be a giver through it too. He won’t forget. I love that you can begin using this for your baby boy. I made it in 1980 and loved every stitch and every December 1st when we hung it up.

5 invitation consultants November 30, 2012 at 9:00 am

what a fun idea!

6 Helen November 30, 2012 at 10:58 am

How fun would it be to hide these around the house and everyday the kids would have to run around and find the right number?

7 Annie November 30, 2012 at 11:56 am

This is soooo pretty! I purchased this lovely one from etsy and am waiting for it to arrive:

BUT i love the tree part of yours!

8 Daphne@The Wondersweets December 1, 2012 at 8:33 am

Totally love this idea! I probably won’t be reusing the same bag again next year, but I might be using these bags for upcoming parties! :)

9 G at willowday December 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I love that these are re-usable! Sweet. I’ve scoured the boys Lego bins for shapes to make this DIY LEGO Advent Calender and thought of this immediately. Happy First of Advent to you!
if interested: http://www.willowday.com/2012/12/lego-advent-calender.html

10 Anneliese December 3, 2012 at 8:46 am

My mother used to put an activity a day in wrapped matchboxes she used for Advent. I loved the idea of a new Christmas activity each day! I’m too disorganized or lazy to get that going with my little ones! Maybe next year! But I have to say it just makes me joyful to look at these beautiful photos.

11 Erin December 8, 2012 at 10:29 am

what kind of fabric is used in this tutorial? it’s so beautiful!

12 prints April 9, 2013 at 12:48 am

Will you be in a position to manual myself in your website owner or man which manages your blog post, I would like to determine if it might be easy to be a invitee poster.