Jiro Dreams of Sushi

November 28, 2012

Jiro Dreams of Sushi 1

By Koseli.

When choosing a movie, I almost always go for something light and entertaining. But sometimes, I also crave thought-provoking (or even sad!) films, and I have always loved foreign films and documentaries.

While flying home on a red-eye flight recently, my husband and I discovered Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Have you seen it? I thought it was absolutely beautiful. It’s an intimate look at the dedicated life of the most accomplished sushi chef in Japan, Jiro, and a fascinating portrayal of a person wholly passionate about his work. A personal passion for sushi isn’t necessary for enjoying this film, I promise. (I’ve posted the trailer below.)

What about you. Do you enjoy documentaries? Foreign films? What’s your favorite you’ve seen recently?

1 Lindsey (Cafe Johnsonia) November 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I’m so happy to hear you loved it! I saw a trailer awhile back (can’t remember where) and I’ve been wanting to see it ever since then.

I’m a huge foreign film fan.

I really loved Tell No One (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362225/) though it’s been a few years since I last watched it. Play the Queen is another one I enjoyed.

The Color of Paradise was a film I really wanted to like, but the ending was terrible! It was a beautifully shot film though and worth checking out because it was so interesting. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191043/

2 Koseli Cummings November 28, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I enjoyed the Color of Paradise. My husband bought it for me when we were in school. I will check out Tell No One and Play the Queen! Thanks Lindsey.

3 Gayle Markow November 28, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hi Gabrielle. I love your blog and have been following you for almost a year now.. Love Olive Us. and so much of what you share. Thank you. Recently saw a documentary “The Flat”, an Israeli film. Quite extraordinary. Also, another really good film, not a documentary, The Late Quartet – excellent. For excitement and adrenalin – Argo. Lots of good movies recently. Thanks again for your beautiful and inspiring blog.

4 Koseli Cummings November 28, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Great recommendations. Can’t wait to watch!

5 Victoria November 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I really enjoyed this movie too! Maybe one day I’ll get to visit his restaurant or his son’s. Perfectionism at its highest!

6 Koseli Cummings November 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Wouldn’t that be amazing? I think it would be every (many!) penny.

7 Gia November 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I loved Jiro Dreams of Sushi! I’m a big documentary fan. Two favorites I saw recently (neither of which are uplifting but both are astonishingly good) are the american documentary “The House We Live In” about the war on drugs and the american prison industrial complex. The second is an Israeli documentary called “The Flat” which is a great look into what happens after a grandmother dies and her family begins to clean out her flat in Tel Aviv. History, a little mystery and some tears make it a great film.

8 Maria November 28, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I’m a huge documentary, foreign films and classic films fan! Over the summer I think I nextflixed over 20 foreign French and Spanish films, and loved every single one! As far as documentaries, my all time fave is I AM by Tom Shadyac, (http://iamthedoc.com/). I’ve seen it at least a dozen times, and every time I see it, I learn something new.

9 Koseli Cummings November 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Maria, I’m so excited to watch I AM. Never seen it. Thank you!

10 Christa the BabbyMama November 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm

This movie keeps coming up on my Netflix recommendations – now I *have* to watch it :)

11 Sharon Fischel November 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm

The restaurant Jiro founded is here in Seattle. We’ve been and it was delicious.

12 Maureen November 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I have seen it and loved it!!

13 sherri November 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I love documentaries, foreign films and sushi. not necessarily in that order. been meaning to check this one out, thanks for the reminder.

14 Koseli Cummings November 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm

You’re so welcome, Sherri. Enjoy with some sushi! :)

15 Jennifer November 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm

A couple of my favorite documentaries are Mad Hot Ballroom and Babies. Neither are new, but they are both such very happy films.

16 Koseli Cummings November 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Babies. I love that one so much. It’s really amazing. I recommend it to everyone. I’ve never seen Mad Hot Ballroom. Can’t wait to check it out.

17 Cobalt November 28, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I saw this documentary last week. Honestly, it left me feeling sad for Jiro, for his sons too, but mostly for Jiro. He is a man so dedicated to his work/art, that it appeared to me even the relationships with his family were sacrificed. It seemed clear he had no regrets about devoting himself so wholly and passionately to his business, but family will always be a higher priority to me. I know I won’t wish I labored more for my business on my death bed. It’s possible Jiro will. Maybe it reflects our different cultures. I still prefer my way of prioritizing family before work.

18 Leanne November 29, 2012 at 7:46 am

Ha Cobalt! I saw this last week too and I thought the exact same thing. I can’t decide if I felt really sad for Jiro because he seemed to have absolutely zero joie de vivre or jealous because he seems to have reached such a level of contentment with his life.

19 Koseli Cummings November 30, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I wondered about his family as well, Cobalt and Leanne. How difficult to be his son.

20 Ann November 29, 2012 at 8:10 am

I’m a documentary fiend. The most recent I’ve watched are “The Queen of Versailles” detailing the fall of billionaire family during the 2008 economic crisis and “First Position” a documentary that follows young ballet stars competing in the Youth America Grand Prix.

If you’re looking for a documentary with a real twist, check out “Catfish”. I can’t say much more or I’ll ruin it for you. The friend who recommended it also suggested “Jiro Dreams of Sushi” which is currently in my Netflix queue. Sounds like I should bump it up to first spot!

21 Koseli Cummings November 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I can’t wait to watch Catfish and The Queen of Versailles, Ann. I’m so intrigued!

22 Sarah November 29, 2012 at 8:44 am

this is one of my favorite films – it really inspired me to hold myself to high standards – but standards that are personal and set only by me…

23 Stella November 29, 2012 at 8:57 am

I really like foreign films, but the only movie rentals around here are from Redbox (unless I want to drive a half hour to my nearest Blockbuster)… and Redbox is not exactly a great place for connoisseurs of foreign film. Do you use a streaming system? Or where do you find them?

24 Megan Flowers November 29, 2012 at 9:32 am

Netflix is a great streaming system if you have reliable wi-fi. We also have a Roku box which is linked to our amazon account so we can either purchase rentals through there or watch whatever is available free to us as amazon prime members. We don’t have cable so this works great for us.

25 Megan Flowers November 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

My husband and I watched Jiro last night. I found it beautifully inspiring. The message I took is that it is important to stay moving and growing, to keep learning and never assume that you have achieved perfection.

26 Alison November 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I sat and watched it with my 8 year old on an afternoon he was not feeling well. We both were enjoyed and ended up craving sushi. “The Saltmen of Tibet” is another favorite slow documentary

27 Koseli Cummings November 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Sushi and snuggles. Not a bad afternoon. :)

28 Audrey November 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I mostly just felt sorry for Jiro’s family because it seems he was never around. Did you notice how a wife was not mentioned once? Not surprising. I do love documentaries and have seen so many ~ a few of my favorites: Touching the Void (AMAZING!), Dear Zachary (moving), & Herb and Dorothy.

29 Amy3 November 30, 2012 at 8:44 am

This is on my Netflix queue. Now I want to move it up!

30 Kim December 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm

This documentary was so beautiful and represented something that I think is often missing in today’s get-rich, get-famous, get-attention culture … the value and joy of hard work and pride in your work. Then again, I’m biased towards documentaries and movies about food.

I love Babette’s Feast and find the cooking scenes so mesmerizing. And Eat, Drink, Man, Woman. I love the chef’s approach to his life through food.

31 Miss Lindsey D December 2, 2012 at 9:25 am

we go in phases with documentaries over here and have been out for a long time. This inspires me to concoct a lovely dinner and a movie night at home with some sushi take out and this film. The trailer is beautiful and I’m even more excited after reading everyone’s great comments.