Happy Thanksgiving + A Few Things

November 21, 2012

Hello, Friends! Are you ready? Are you set? The holidays are here! I’ve been trying to put on my gratitude hat today, to sit still whenever I can and think about what I’m thankful for. Here are 7 things that came to mind:

- I’m thankful that Ben Blair takes his job as a parent seriously.
- I’m thankful for enthusiastic kids.
- I’m thankful that we get to live in this paradise for 2 1/2 years.
- I’m thankful my body does what I need it to do.
- I’m thankful for work that inspires me.
- I’m thankful that I recognize beauty.
- And I’m thankful everyday for YOU. As cheesy as that might sound, I’m constantly amazed at how supportive and good this community is. Design Mom readers really are outstanding.

How about you? What are you feeling thankful for today? I’d love to hear!

I’ll be taking a couple of days off for the holiday, so here are a few things to keep you entertained until I get back.

- Moomah Magazine. We should all memorize their tagline before the holiday rush starts: Be Inspired And Know You Are Doing Enough.
- Wow. It’s the size of a quarter. It tracks your movements when you swim, bike, run.
- Now I want to read Gone Girl.
- Awkward.
- Love: Underground New York Public Library. Thanks, Carter!
- Does yellow cheer you up?
- Excited for Liz’s new project!
- Loads of ideas for your holiday table. (And here are 18 craft ideas for the kids.)
- I’ll be instagramming and pinning through the break. Join me!

I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving, and a lovely weekend with friends and family as well! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Gina November 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm

First- that is a darling picture. Second, I am thankful that my husband has a job, we have a warm place to live, food to put on the table (when I cook it) and family in general. I do also like how you pointed out being thankful for your body… as a nurse I have seen that not many people recognize that.

2 Design Mom November 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oh man. It’s so easy for me to take my body for granted when I’m feeling healthy. But I try hard not too! : )

3 Caroline November 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Enthusiastic ! How fun ! That’s the word they were describe by french people they met this evening… :)

4 Design Mom November 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm

They had fun at that class! And they were glad you were there.

5 Christina @ Homemade Ocean November 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Ohhhhh please do read Gone Girl….it is such a great book!

6 Christa the BabbyMama November 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I’m especially thankful for this healthy baby – who despite weird test results did not have Down syndrome and despite being a bit early did not have to spend any time in the NICU!

7 Ilse November 21, 2012 at 8:35 pm

You live in a French movie!!!!! I browsed all of your La Cressonière pics! I’m thankful for Internet and for pictures and for people like you who posts so we can all travel to La Cressonière!!!!!,

8 Design Mom November 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hah! I feel the same way about this house.

9 Aline November 22, 2012 at 4:10 am

Gabrielle,
you’re a lovely one. I’m thankful for discovered Design Mom!

I’m thankful for my beloved family.
I’m thankful that I recognize beauty and poetry in my life.
I’m thankful for the little things.
I’m thankful for the blessings of God.
I’m thankful for love I give and receive.
I’m thankful for living in a peaceful country.
I’m thankful for the love and pleasure of reading and writing.
I’m thankful for being sensible.
I’m thankful for my dreams.
I’m thankful for my grateful heart.

10 Margit November 22, 2012 at 8:04 am

Ooh, I love this question! It’s been a hard year for me, but I’m still thankful for so many things….

I’m thankful for:
Living in a country where women can still work with their doctors to make the best decisions for their bodies and their families.
Our country choosing a president who cries when he thanks his volunteers over a president who was a bully to shy, long-haired boys in high school.
My parents and their support of us through tough times and losses this year.
The Mother’s Milk Bank of New England, which is transforming a terrible personal loss for me into a way I can help other mothers.
My rabbi, who is just wonderful.
My son, who is even more wonderful.
My husband, who has been a source of wonder and gratitude in my life since 1989.
Olive Us, which makes my little guy happy!
All the wonderful blogs that teach me and make me happy — Design Mom, Oh Happy Day, Shakesville, My Marrekesh, Angry Chicken, Filth Wizardry, Soulemama, Gennine’s Art Blog, I could go on and on!
My friends, who have truly shown me what friendship means this year.
Living in a beautiful place and having all we need.

I’m sure I could go on for weeks and not get to the end of the list, which makes me feel good. No matter how tough things are, there’s always so much to be grateful for and appreciate.

11 Megan M. November 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I’m reading Gone Girl right now!!! It is excellent so far!

12 Design Mom November 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm

It’s next on my list! Hopefully I’ll squeeze it in before Christmas.

13 Stella November 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I just read Gone Girl a few weeks ago, and it is really good! I definitely wouldn’t recommend it for my Relief Society book club…. but it was absolutely fascinating. And in a twisted way, deeply moving. I was profoundly more grateful for my own marriage and our commitment to the institution of mariage after reading the novel. Anyway, you should read it. Just maybe hide it so the kids don’t pick it up for a little light reading ;)

14 julia November 24, 2012 at 4:51 am

Love your site and your red wellingtons and scarf, Are they Hunter wellies?

15 Design Mom November 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm

That’s my lovely daughter, Olive and yes, those are Hunter wellies — hand me downs from her big sister, Maude. They last forever!