Decorator in a Box

November 26, 2012

By Gabrielle. Image of Kirsten Grove’s lovely home. See the full tour here.

For any of you who need help putting your home together but are intimidated by hiring an interior designer, I just read about a new service and it might be appealing to you. It’s called My Designer In a Box. You describe your room + goals to Annie, and she sends you a box with a floor plan, materials, colors, shopping list — and a personal note! She charges by the room, and the turnaround is about 2 weeks. (Which means, you have time to redo your living room before Christmas!)

Hey, I get it. Hiring an interior designer is not a typical errand. Who do you call? How much do they charge? What exactly do they do? Do they come in to your home? Do they pressure you to spend more than you have? What if you don’t like their taste? What if they don’t like your taste?

These are all legitimate questions. And hiring a designer isn’t for everyone. But if your house is stressing you out, I highly recommend getting some help. It’s definitely worth a call — there is very likely an option out there that fits your budget, needs and project.

Tell me friends, have you ever worked with an interior designer? Did you enjoy it? And would you do it again?

P.S. — My answer to a related Ask-Design-Mom question. Plus, 4 more online interior design options.

1 Gina November 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I have not worked with one… but my brother does heating and air conditioning in homes. He says they are always telling him where he can have the vents- or not. :)

2 Giulia November 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I’ve seen this service around quite a bit these days. Designers in general seem to offer online service like you mention.
Once example here in Canada is Design in Box: http://www.nylafreedesigns.com/designinabox/

I think I’d get a designer if I was working on a big kitchen or bath reno. Getting those plans right would be so critical. The decorating I like to do myself.

3 Amy Hackworth November 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I’ve resisted working with a designer because I feel like I have good taste on my own and can do a lot of work myself, but I’m also my own worst enemy because I put off making decisions or do too much research or think way outside my budget and then don’t do anything. I’m starting to see one of the benefits of a great designer would be someone to help me make a decision (for goodness sake) and execute the plan. And even though I like thinking I have good taste, I am learning professionals are professionals for a reason and I’d love to tap into that experience and wisdom. I’m definitely having a look at Annie and her work!

4 betsy November 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I’ve always wanted to try this type of service, seems to be what I need to get my place a little extra spice without having to bring someone in at an hourly rate. Maybe I’ll give it a shot, Thanks !

5 Sonny November 26, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I was delighted to read about your discovery of Annie and “My Decorator in a Box.” I just got done using her for my new rental in Los Angeles. I was surprised how she even paid attention to the retail community in my ‘hood of Sherman Oaks and Studio City in making selections(!) She’s fresh, current and a very fun and sweet person, too. Her design sensibilities are exciting, but she also really paid attention to my demand of a “function” as well as “fashion.” (I needed the living space to double as my workspace — and I’m a rowing machine fanatic!) I’ve downsized and want to “live simply.” Annie honored that by creating a very efficient living space for me. I really cannot say enough about her. And she’s very reasonable, too. I think “mydiab.com” is a great way to decorate!!!

6 Sharon @ Discovering Blog November 27, 2012 at 7:46 am

I think what I might like about this is it doesn’t sound like you have to commit to spending more than you want. You would get the suggestions from the designers, but could ultimately choose if you want to make the purchases, right?
That’s my biggest fear about hiring a designer – getting in over my head.

7 Amanda November 27, 2012 at 8:31 am

I offer online design. It works really well and gives me the
opportunity to work with all kinds of clients. Its also a less expensive
option and makes hiring a designer more affordable for more people.

8 Holly November 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

I too have an online design website. I am fortunate to live and work in a fun environment but love offering services to people who may be more remote. It’s a great option to supplement what you want to do on your own or if you just need to run your choices by a seasoned professional. Collaboration is a great way to get outside the box and be totally inventive! My site and business are geared toward “green” design…always thinking of the environment and how we can create more sustainable living practices.

9 Annie November 27, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hi Everyone! This is Annie of Decorator in a Box. I love reading all your comments and appreciate you visiting the website. Please let me know if you have any questions about the service. I can create a custom quote to meet your specific design needs. Thank you Gabrielle for your wonderful post. All the Best!

10 Haeley @ Design Improvised November 27, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I think online design services are great for people on a budget that are feeling a little stuck making a space in their home feel right and just need a little help to get them started. I offer an online room design service that focuses on inexpensive yet chic pieces from online retailers (and even Craigslist) and personal accents from Etsy, etc. I pull it all together in a mock-up of the room for the client. It’s then up to them to pick and choose what they want and pull the room together. So options are more limited using an online designer, but I think it is worth it to get some quick inspiration for a significant cost savings!