Closet Talk

November 2, 2012

By Raleigh-Elizabeth.

If my closet could talk, I’m sure its first few words would be a hounding interrogation over the size two tops I haven’t fit into since 2007 that still roam its interior uncheckedThis would surely be followed by a stinging conversation about all the old shoes I refuse to downsize, especially the cheap ones from Target that, while brilliantly stylish for exactly three weeks, lose all glamour immediately after and never make it to the Goodwill bin.

What would yours say, if it got to speak? Would it hash out a lifetime of mismanagement, squirreled away stuffed animals, and partnerless socks? Would it remind you of that time it held all the contents of your momentarily untidy bedroom when your mother popped by for a surprise visit? Would it tell you the 20 things it should get to do before it dies? If I took pity on mine and channeled my inner apartment therapy guru, I would probably stop to thank it: Yes, there actually is at least one thing in there I could put on that doesn’t look awful. It might even encourage me to stop driving past CrossFit every time I’m downtown, but to instead turn in, subject myself to a military-style exercise regime, and eventually show those size two tops some action after all.

What kind of relationship do you have with your closet? Are you the smart, kind, and discerning type with just the perfect number of boatnecks and long sleeves whose items sit happily folded and unencumbered and look fabulous in person? Or, like me, are you hoarding an unnecessary shop of off-size and unwearable items and maybe a felt hat collection that you can’t remember when or why you started but seem unable to part with?

Pretty closet found here.

P.S. Remember Closet Visit? I wish they’d pulled out the most embarrassing items from their closets, not just the most stylish. You know there’s a pair of ancient pajamas or a sports-team sweatshirt in there, somewhere.

1 Maria November 2, 2012 at 7:35 am

My closet would say, “Really? Reallllllly???” I’m not exagerating when I say I have ZERO fashion sense. Like, NONE. It’s sad really. :(

2 raleigh-elizabeth November 2, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Mine would say this too. Except the items that are decidedly not in my size. Somehow, those, which are fashionably housed inside my other lackluster closet, are always quite stylish. I’ve yet to figure that part out.

3 Sharon @ Discovering blog November 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

I’ll admit to having many garments that I had purchased solely because they were on sale. Might not have been my style, or my size, but they were a bargain!
We redid our bedroom this summer, which meant emptying out the closets, and I got rid of A LOT that needed to be tossed. I feel a lot better now.

4 raleigh-elizabeth November 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Come do mine?

5 Dana November 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Just found your blog and love it!
There are so many great inspirations on it *-*

6 Karin November 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm

My closet is happy today. I just lost 40 pounds and got rid of everything with an x in the size. So all new clothes for an all new me!

7 raleigh-elizabeth November 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm

GO KARIN!!!

8 gia November 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Yes, sale shopper and my clothes are a little pitiful. I do not know how to shop for an entire outfit! That’s the issue for me.

9 Abyss November 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm

One word for my closet: ABYSS.

There should be an “Enter at Your Own Peril” plaque on my closet door.
a) Fashion-less, totally lacking in fashion (yup, my clothes)
b) Disorganized (exactly how does one organize an abyss?)
c) Pigsty (as a teenager I thought my mother to be daft; what? my closet? a pigsty? indignant I was; since then: epiphany! why are mothers always so on-point?)
d) Definitely the most depressing space in my home (personal shopper? style consultant? yep, need ‘em all)

But you, Raleigh-Elizabeth, seem so stylish and in control. I like you even more now that your closet might be a teensy bit like mine!

10 jessica November 4, 2012 at 5:06 am

My husband just finished some crazy schooling and in between the final exam and the start of work we spent two days clearing out our master closet, repainting and then only putting the essentials back in. It feels so good!

11 Lisa Ash November 5, 2012 at 9:34 am

Mine would say, “Put your finger down my throat …. please!”

12 Thrifty Mum November 5, 2012 at 11:15 am

Mine would say ‘being thrifty and mainly buying in charity shops is all very well BUT it might be time to treat yourself now’.

13 kpriss November 9, 2012 at 1:45 am

Mine would just say ‘organize’. ‘puhhhlease’ . I do feel you on the cheap shoes, though.. I just can’t seem to find it in my heard to get rid’of’em. Do you think they’re enchanted? By some Cheap – Shoes – Fairy? hmmmm