Clippings

November 8, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Confession: I can’t remember the last time I had an actual newspaper in my hand. I don’t read French well enough to subscribe here. And in the States, I get all my news online. I still haven’t given up on paper magazines, but real-life newspapers have become a non-part of my life.

I have the best memories of waiting impatiently for my turn with the comics on Sunday mornings before church. It’s so strange that my kids won’t have that experience at all!

Donna Ruff makes the headlines stunning. I bet she could turn even the worst news into a work of art. : )

How about you? Any die-hard, ink on your fingers all day newspaper readers out there?

P.S. — My LIVE chat on the Pottery Barn Kids Facebook page starts in about an hour (11 AM PST). I hope you’ll join me!

{ 2 trackbacks }

Happy Weekend! | Snippet & Ink
November 9, 2012 at 7:30 am
» Happy Weekend! May I Have The Ring
November 10, 2012 at 10:03 pm

1 Lori H November 8, 2012 at 11:08 am

We still get the newspaper everyday! Old fashioned, I guess! I don’t enjoy reading it on-line, even though I read lots of blogs.

2 Giulia November 8, 2012 at 11:29 am

We used to get our comic books every Saturday morning. My mom still reads 4 papers a day and keeps sending me interesting clippings all the way from Switzerland. It’s a nice way to get news from home that wouldn’t normally make it into the online version.

3 Gina November 8, 2012 at 11:29 am

Nope- I check it all online, especially the chocolate newspapers. Yum.

4 Tiffany Lewis November 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm

My husband and I are both journalists, so we get the newspaper, but I cringe that it often goes unread for days! I’ll play catch-up every few weeks and plow through stacks of great newspaper articles. (My boys do love, love the Sunday comics however.)

5 Catherine at Design Editor November 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I am CRAZY for this! Gorgeous. As a newspaper designer, my fingers are crossed that you get a lot of “I read the paper” replies!

6 Anna November 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm

We get two Sunday papers. We started doing it when our church time was 1:30! The paper made Sunday mornings more tolerable and now we all love it so much that we still do it even though our ward meets earlier now. My son loves the comics and the kid’s crossword puzzle. My girls love clipping coupons and looking at the ads. I like the book reviews. I love the Sunday ritual of a newspaper.

7 marie November 8, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Paper newspaper ! I grew up with a daily and a twice-a-week paper. I love the paper. Even if plain. And I love the kind of print on it. When I’m abroad I have to buy a newspaper. Even in places I can manage only part of the text. At home I try not to have my computer next to me for meals. But newspapers are just perfect at the kitchen table.

8 Amanda Z. November 8, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I am a graphic designer at a small hometown free newspaper (award winning ahem) – we do 2 weekly papers and one bi-weekly. So needless to say that printed paper is my livelihood!

9 wanda November 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm

We read the news on line everyday, but on Sundays we receive the NY Times and spend our mornings with a cup of coffee and the paper spread all over the bed. I cherish those moments! I work 6 days a week, so, spending the morning in bed with the paper is the best pampering after a long week. I trade comments and articles with my husband of 39 years and when we finally get up to make brunch, the paper feels like a good friend that came to visit and brought all the good gossip to us!

10 Tasha November 10, 2012 at 9:30 am

That is lovely!

11 Heather November 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I read actual paper because I think I’m more likely to find interesting articles that way. Otherwise you tend to read the same types of things over and over.

12 Anne November 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I absolutely love newspapers. One of our greatest joys last year on sabbatical was to get up around 5- 5:30 am and read the Danish newspaper in bed with our cup of coffee. Politiken is like the New York Times of Denmark. Long, in-depth articles about the world, culture, books, theater, etc. What a delicious pleasure. I miss it as we read the truncated version of news we see in the Seattle Times these days. The routine of coffee and the news is still a pleasure though.

13 Angela November 8, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I get the paper on the weekends. It is a real joy for me to sit in quiet and hold my paper catching up on the news. I check it out during the week online, but I just can’t give up the real deal all together. I love the actual feel of it!

14 hibiscus November 9, 2012 at 1:23 am

Trop beau! It’s so nice! Kind of Christmas!

15 marilee pittman November 9, 2012 at 7:13 am

everyday! nothing can replace the tactile experience of holding a paper (or wrestling with it ) and a morning coffee….

16 wendy November 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

We get the Sunday paper.
My little ones love waking up early to run out and retrieve the paper from the driveway. They run back in and proceed to dump the Sunday paper into a big pile on the floor. They dig around for the Best Buy ad for Dad, the sports section for the teens and the comics for a sibling to read to them.
It’s a wonderful Sunday tradition!

17 amy c November 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Gorgeous paper art!

18 Joy G November 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm

We didn’t get a newspaper growing up, but my grandparents did. I remember rifling through all the pages to find the comics on Sunday afternoon when we went to their house for lunch. Now that I’m an adult I get most of my news online, but we get a newspaper at the office. Whenever I can, I take the time to read it. There’s something about those skinny columns of words that always brings me back to the dream I had to be a journalist when I was writing for my school newspaper as a kid. :)

19 Ann November 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Love this art! My sons really dig the newspaper comics and I have to say that I really enjoy reading the newspaper when I get one which is usually at a coffee shop infrequently. I love those times when they are pouring over the comics and I’m reading something local or global.

20 Erin November 10, 2012 at 1:47 am

I adore the Saturday newspaper (The Vancouver Sun)! It’s even better if I read it with a cup of tea and in bed!

21 Tasha November 10, 2012 at 9:36 am

I have always enjoyed a daily PAPER! I also love the crafts made from old stacks: paper palm trees, hats, etc.! I used to have contests in class where my students made either outfits, tools, or even animals out of the paper. After doing current events, of course! Love paper (and pencil I must say)!

22 Ashley November 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm

We also get our news online and do not subscribe to the paper. Lucky for my kids, my Grandmother lives in our guest house and saves the comics from her paper for them, so they get to read them every Sunday.
She faithfully reads the paper every day and it is one of my clearest memories of her from when I was a child. She would sit each day at her table with her cup of warm tea and the paper…