Celebrations: Thanksgiving Kid Table

November 14, 2012

By Gabrielle.

If your kids are frowning about not getting to sit at the grownups table, I may be able to help you out! I made a little video with a few tips to make the Thanksgiving Kids Table the most coveted seat in the house.

Paper bag turkey by One Charming Party.

I’d love to know: Will there be a kids table at your house this year? Do your kids ever get jealous of the grownups table?

P.S. — Secrets to the Perfect Turkey and the Perfect Pie Crust.

{ 4 trackbacks }

Friday Link Hootenannny :: Fun Things to Browse – Modern Kiddo
November 17, 2012 at 5:26 pm
A few things | The Loveliest Hour
November 19, 2012 at 11:49 am
Pop, pop, gobble, gobble | One Hungry Mama
November 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Beautiful Fun | Beautiful Musings
November 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm

1 Tasha November 14, 2012 at 4:17 pm

How cute that is!!! What people think of!

2 Amy November 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Great video! At what age do you transition your kids to the big table?

When I was growing up, I had 24 first cousins. So we sat at the kids’ table(s) until we left home because we just chose to sit with people our own age. My kids have one cousin! So we’ve integrated them into the grown-up table once they could sit still for a reasonable amount of time, around the age of five.

What about you?

3 Design Mom November 15, 2012 at 3:57 am

At our house, it’s often a decision about space. The kid table appears once the grownup table is full.

But this year, we’ll be having a Thanksgiving without guests, so the whole family will be at the same table — even little June!

I prefer integrating them in as soon as possible. But when it’s not, I love the make the most of the kids table!

4 Azra November 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Gabby, I loved this video. We always host Thanksgiving and it seems crazy with so many children. I will try this project with them. Thank you.

5 Wendy McDonagh-Valentine November 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I saw my first paper turkey in person a couple of years ago when one of my son’s teachers made one and instantly fell in love. I thought it was absolutely adorable!! Thanks for the DIY link!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!! : )

~ Wendy

6 Cheryl Burchett November 15, 2012 at 3:23 am

I just posted a tutorial for making a treat filled paper turkey leg and a treat filled tissue paper ear of corn. The idea would be having each place at the kids table already set with the play food and then the kids can tear it open and also play with the treats while waiting for the long meal. Here’s the link: http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2012/11/thanksgiving-kids-table-crafts.html

7 Design Mom November 15, 2012 at 3:57 am

What a fun idea, Cheryl!

8 Bellenza Bistro November 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

Now, the grownups will want to sit at the kids’ table!

9 bdaiss November 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

Wait – why give the kids plastic stuff? We’ve been known to host about 30 on Thanksgiving, nearly half of which are kids. If we don’t mix them in, the kids’ table is always EXACTLY the same as the adults. (Okay, they do have funky red goblets instead of the wine glasses the adults sport, but that’s because sparkling grape juice looks a lot like white wine…) Of course our holiday dinners are a bit of a spectacle: 5 courses, no recipe ever repeated, and a different adult and kids beverages with each course. So.Much.Fun. The only exception I’ve ever made to the same-as-adults rule is a kid who’s just started big-kid food (ie not pureed everything). But they usually end up on mom’s/dad’s lap anyway. We haven’t had a broken dish yet.

10 Kiley November 15, 2012 at 9:22 am

Love this turkey! Would be fun to pair with the Jack Prelutsky poem “The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven,” a silly poem about a turkey that is accidentally stuffed with unpopped popcorn.

11 Jane November 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

We’ve always had a kids’ table. I have a million cousins, and most of us now have families of our own, so Thanksgiving has grown quite a bit. There’s still a kids’ table — only it’s all of us grown ups. That’s because, luckily, there’s still no room at the adults’ table as everyone’s in good health (*knock on wood*).

12 Lisa November 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

I remember always being so jealous of the grown-up table, and was quite indignant when I realized at some point during college that I wasn’t going to be bumped up, ever. We had a large-ish family (my mom had 5 brothers, with 2 kids each), so it was partly due to space. Later, they did make an exception for me, but not until I was married. Sigh. My nuclear family is smaller, so no kids table is necessary.

13 julia November 15, 2012 at 11:25 am

Gabrielle: I have been lurking on your blog for so long! But just ADORE this new series of movies- Olive’s and these. My almost 3 yo loves them, too. Today’s Thanksgiving Kids Table video was especially sweet. I really value how thoughtful and gracious a mom you are. I hope I am like that, too. We only have one so far (and one on the way), but hope for lots more. I will do my best to remain as present and easy going as you! And I hope we have as much fun as it seems you do! Anyways, thanks for the inspirations! Cheers, Julia

14 Design Mom November 20, 2012 at 6:28 am

Julia! This comment came into my inbox at a low point in my day, and absolutely turned my attitude around. I can’t thank you enough for your kind words!

15 tere November 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’m loving your tips! My kids have permission to set their table as fancy as they want to when we have a big meal ahead with guests. It always turns out even better than mine, haha!

16 Stoich91 November 16, 2012 at 10:08 am

This is adorable, practical and so creative! You rock!

17 Ann November 18, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I love that popcorn turkey! I have to say I got a little depressed when I graduated to the adult table. The kids’ table rocked!