Alice in Vogue

November 12, 2012

Alice in Wonderland for Vogue 2003 by Annie Lebovitz Alice in Wonderland for Vogue 2003 by Annie Lebovitz Alice in Wonderland for Vogue 2003 by Annie Lebovitz Alice in Wonderland for Vogue 2003 by Annie Lebovitz

By Koseli.

Photographer legend Annie Leibovitz, who has taken some of the most iconic photos of our time, shot this Alice-inspired editorial spread for Vogue.

Look closely. Those aren’t runway models! Marc Jacobs, Karl Lagerfield, and Christian Lacroix, among other designers, make appearances alongside Alice (who is Natalia Vodianova, the one model in the images). She’s couture in layered silk-tulle, delicate chiffon-organza,  and dresses lined in lace. It’s imaginative and quirky but still quite stunning, don’t you think?

P.S. — Alice Liddell is the real-girl inspiration behind the curious, stubborn girl who fell down the rabbit hole. Are you an Alice fan?

1 Gina November 12, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I have always been an Alice fan. But more than that, I have always been a fan of Annie. Her work is just amazing… I actually thought it looked like her work before I scrolled down to read the post. :)

2 Koseli Cummings November 13, 2012 at 5:57 am

You have a good eye, Gina.

3 robbie November 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I remember buying my copy of this issue in the grocery store when it came out, about the same time I was auditing a class in nonsense literature (Yes — I took a class in nonsense! In graduate school!). This issue of Vogue is among my treasured possessions — I remain amazed at how these photos capture the spirit of the books Alice (discomfort, confusion, the absurd) so elegantly.

4 robbie November 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Or “Alice books” not “books Alice.” I’d say I was being intentionally nonsensical, but according to my prof, I doubt this blunder would qualify.

5 (plum) November 12, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I was lucky enough to see this gorgeous collection of images at a gallery exhibit in NY (also featured, Chuck Close portraits). Yep, it was an amazing display of artistry and my good friend and gallery companion purchased 2 of the amazing Alice in Wonderland pieces. They are even more fantastic in person!

Isn’t art incredible!

Best,
D.

6 Koseli Cummings November 13, 2012 at 5:55 am

Wow! That’s amazing.

7 pattern society November 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm

✚ oh yes, I think I had that issue, I wonder what became of it! ♥

8 Koseli Cummings November 13, 2012 at 5:58 am

It would be so fun to have the actual spread. You could frame it.

9 Joslynn November 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Beautiful!

10 Koseli Cummings November 13, 2012 at 5:56 am

I thought you’d like it.

11 Mickey@EuroAmerican Home November 13, 2012 at 3:19 am

I first read Alice when I was a child and I didn’t really understand much. Then I studied it in high school, all by myself, for the political implications and the perfect use of satire. I’ve been hooked ever since. Then I became interested in design and I just keep seeing it everywhere, from Gwen Stefani videos to house tours on Apartment Therapy.

12 Koseli Cummings November 13, 2012 at 5:57 am

I feel the same. It is not a children’s story, really. As I’ve re-read Alice and Peter Pan, they’ve become true treasures and mean more to me than when I was a childhood.

13 Another Kimberly November 13, 2012 at 7:58 am

I love Alice in Wonderland so much that I get bothered by the sexualized versions of her (see the come-hithery picture 1). Maybe I’m just getting too old or am still bugged by the “sexy Alice/Minnie Mouse/fruit salad” costumes from Halloween. (Get off my lawn!) ;)

14 Koseli Cummings November 13, 2012 at 9:47 am

I don’t like those costumes either, Kimberly.

15 arah D. November 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

I agree with Another Kimberly. Why are the only “real people” in the shoot the old men? Why is the sultry young thing not a “real girl”. Creepy.

16 FreeRange Pamela November 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

Agree with Another kimberly and arah D. It says something that a real normal person isn’t acceptable for the one female in these images. It’s only OK for men to be un-model-like, apparently.

17 Koseli Cummings November 13, 2012 at 9:53 am

The men pictured are the designers behind each of the elegant pieces Alice is wearing. The men are also wearing Chanel, Versace, Marc Jacobs, and on and on. It’s like a triple layering of a fantastic world, a designer’s creations, and the designer’s themselves.

Annie is known for taking edgy pictures!

18 Miss Lindsey D November 13, 2012 at 11:35 am

We have such an appreciate for the great ideas behind wonderful art. Annie Leibovitz is the queen of these :) We could spend hours with these images, so fun!

19 Katherine | Gathered Heart November 15, 2012 at 11:05 am

Oooh yes! This issue came out when I was in high school and I had almost all of the photos taped to my walls for years. How lovely to be reminded of them again, thank you!