A Few Things

November 9, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How is November going for you? Have you started to think about Thanksgiving yet? We are wrapping up a week of filming Olive Us. We’ll shoot a 7th episode today — which is the last day of our kids school break. And then I will be embracing the weekend with arms flung wide!

Speaking of the weekend, we will be doing a little exploring, because it’s time for Love the Place You Live! Do something local. Discover a shop/park/cafe/museum you’ve never tried. Then write up a little post and add your link to my Love the Place You Live post on Monday. It’s lots of fun, I promise!

While we all think of a new place to explore, here are a few things I thought you’d enjoy:

- Red and Blue? We are all purple.
- 30 Writing Prompts for 30 Days. A fundraiser for Sandy relief efforts!
- This holiday DIY e-book is getting rave reviews — 18 projects, 100 printables, just 10 bucks.
- The spoken word. (Warning: there’s an F-word 2-3 seconds in, but get past it, and then get psyched!) Thanks, Karey.
- A dollhouse made from 3-ring binders.
- Things people say to transracial families. Via Laura Mayes.
- Easy + pretty for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — For a sneak peek of what I’ve been working on, take a look at my Instagram feed

{ 1 trackback }

LOOK: Binders Full Of Barbies | Political Ration
December 3, 2012 at 9:52 am

1 Susan November 9, 2012 at 11:52 am

thank you Gabby, for the link to A Hip Handmade Holiday, The Craft Pack loves you!

2 Gina November 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I usually post about a craft or recipe on Monday… hmmm. I will have to think about this one. But I am definitely up for checking in on the local scene.

3 Whitney Smith Cripe November 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Love the link from Laura Mayes. Brilliant, hilarious, awful and true! Love it.

4 Megan M. November 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I loved the Laura Mayes video. I don’t have a transracial family but I remember being horrified when a classmate in college told me she was regularly asked if she was her twin boys’ nanny…

I also loved the spoken word poetry! I’m going to have to listen to it again to catch every single amazing turn of phrase.

5 mandi@herbanhomestead November 9, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Ah, the thing people say video…I must add that most of those are things that people say to parents of any adopted child. The most typical ones “what happened to her real mom?” and “does she have any real brothers and sisters?”. Ouch.

6 Tasha November 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I LOVE the doll house idea!!! I used to make my own Barbie furniture as a little girl. Wow, a terrific idea. I adore making things out of everyday items and cardboard (from the pizza box lol) and have fond memories of doing so many years ago. Will do!

7 Linda Geertsen November 9, 2012 at 11:33 pm

“Rock out like mangoes are in season.” :)

8 Béa November 10, 2012 at 3:04 am

Have you ever visited the Bavent pottery? Typically normand.

9 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux November 10, 2012 at 7:49 am

Wow – so many neat links. I have to say I love the dollhouse made of 3 ring binders – how original and creative. I love it as it’s so creative, could be fun to play with but doesn’t cost a lot. A project that a 8-12 could easily put together and be very proud of. Thanks for sharing – Have a great weekend! I’m looking forward to love the place you live on Monday – always such great links!

10 Bek. November 10, 2012 at 8:31 am

As part if a transracial family– I have heard all of these. Sigh. I should make a video of sassy comebacks. ( but that only world till your kids are old enough to understand.. Then you have to be an adult and use it as a teaching moment. Double sigh.

11 Darci November 10, 2012 at 10:16 am

This was the best round up of links…I reposted the Direct Orders video, signed up for the writing prompts, purchased the e-book, have the DIY page open for pinning and laughed/cried endlessly at the transracial video. Thanks for the Saturday Morning love.

12 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay November 10, 2012 at 11:10 am

Oh yes, we’ve heard most of those trans-racial family comments. I would love a video of sassy retorts.

My favorite was at a playground when a woman asked it we adopted “that mulatto boy.” Lovely.

Thank goodness the love that we have in our mixed-up family makes the ignorance pale in comparison. It can be exhausting though.

13 Tina November 11, 2012 at 6:21 am

I love the purple map! What a statement that makes.
best,