A Few Things

November 4, 2012

Hello, Friends! How are you doing? We are smack in the middle of a 2-week school break. As I mentioned last Friday, we thought a road trip was in order, but ended up doing nothing but chilling at home. I must say, it was incredibly refreshing to sit still for a minute. Like many of you, we were also watching #Sandy updates non-stop (the image on New York Magazine made me gasp).

I’ve found myself sort of dumb-founded at all the devastation. And I think it’s because of the warnings ahead of time. We knew the hurricane was coming. Evacuations happened. Windows were boarded up. Water was stockpiled. And I think in my head, all that preparation was going to equal smooth sailing. But really, that preparation equaled less devastation, not zero devastation. I’m still kind of wrapping my head around the whole week. I’m sure many of you are too.

Next up for the Blairs: We’re spending week 2 of our school vacation filming 8 more Olive Us episodes. We are psyched! Most of the episodes will be shot outdoors, and it’s cold(!) this week. So I’m working hard making the wardrobe options as cozy as possible. : ) I’ll try to instagram like crazy this week if you’d like a sneak peak.

In the meantime, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:

- Being in nature.
- Easy exterior updates.
- What are your plans for Tuesday?
- In case you need help deciding.
- These are the colors I’m craving this month.
- Polka dot pendant lamp DIY.
- Bored kids? Try a kaleidocycle.
- Dreamy images.
- I can’t believe it’s been a whole year.

I hope you’re having a lovely weekend. I’ll meet you back here tomorrow. I’ve missed you already!

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Caroline November 4, 2012 at 11:11 am

Amazing photo !

2 Lori H November 4, 2012 at 11:28 am

Tuesday I will vote. Chomping at the bit!

3 Michelle November 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Thank you for so clearly putting this into words for me! I have been feeling the same shock, perhaps because the preparations often do soften the devastation? Often times the storm is not nearly as bad as predicted?

On the positive note of more Olive Us episodes, I couldn’t be happier! My 3-year old son and I have been enjoying them immensely :). I love that he will even request an episode by name. This is such a wonderful endeavor your family has embarked on – we’re looking forward to seeing more!

4 Jessie Newman November 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm

This photo really captures the divide in Manhattan that evolved between those who have power and those who don’t. There literally was a line! Here is a great article that explains a bit about how the photo was taken. http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/194225/architecture-photographer-explains-how-he-got-that-new-york-magazine-cover-shot/

5 michelle a. November 4, 2012 at 8:49 pm

oh how we ADORE your episodes. it’s a family favorite in our house! thank you for all that you do – what joy you bring to so many. extra big hugs to the kids. they are so precious!

6 Linsey November 4, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Gabby, Thank you SO much for thinking and posting about the devastation Sandy has brought. Its been a little disheartening to see that so many important voices—even those in NYC—have skimmed right over it even as thousands of people are scrape up the pieces of their lives or freeze in dark apartments with no water or power. The destruction is staggering.

7 katharine November 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

The following agencies are among those accepting contributions to assist people affected by Hurricane Sandy:

American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/hurricane-sandy

Brooklyn Recovery Fund http://www.brooklynrecoveryfund.org
perhaps you could let your readers know how to help the thousands of people in the NY metro area who need assistance.

Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City http://www.nyc.gov/html/fund/html/home/home.shtml

Salvation Army http://www.salvationarmyusa.org

United Way Sandy Recovery Fund uwsandyrecovery.org

8 dervla @ The Curator November 5, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Isn’t that image insane?! We lost power too on the Upper East Side for almost a week but that isn’t depicted here. I just came across this awesome Amazon fund set up so you can give the EXACT items that people need, like wool blankets and diapers. It all gets sent to a church in Brooklyn: http://www.amazon.com/registry/wedding/32TAA123PJR42