Gift Guide #2: For Book Lovers

November 7, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Okay friends, here is Gift Guide #2 (find Gift Guide #1 here). As promised, it’s all about Books. I’m a huge fan of giving books because a) you can always find the perfect selection for anyone, young or old, b) there are so many choices, you’re sure to find something in your price range, and c) they’re easy to wrap — no box needed. : ) Here are 12 of my recommendations for holiday gifting.

For Foodies, I’d recommend A Year of Pies by Ashley English. It’s beautiful and I think it would make the perfect Thanksgiving hostess gift. I’d also recommend Deb Perelman’s The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. Last month, Deb and I spoke on a panel together and afterwords she sent me a copy. Friends, it’s gorgeous. And highly useable! You definitely want this book.

For Crafters, you could go with Heather Ross Prints or Pretty Paper Parties. I really like both of these because even flipping through them gave me ideas I wanted to try right then and there!

For Teenagers, I’d see what they thing of this other Face Book. I think it would make them laugh! And it’s really cool in and of itself. Or how about Unusual Creatures for someone who’s curious. Lemony Snicket gave it a seal of approval, so you know it’s good. (Technically, it’s intended for about age 8 and up, but I think people of all ages would enjoy it.)

For the Little Ones, try the activity Kokeshi Style, the latest in the Kokeshi series (my girls LOVE this series, if it’s new to you, start here). Or how about When You Were Small (or the companion book, When I Was Small)? Simple, sweet illustrations and a storyline that will make kids grin.

For Parents, a sweet gift would be My Prudent Advice, a keepsake journal that prompts mothers to record their own personal advice for their daughters. I would also recommend Closer to the Ground, a volume about a father learning to share his love of nature with his children — by actually spending tons of time outside.

For Artists or Hippies, I would give Woodcut by Brian Nash Gill. It’s full of his amazing prints made using cross-sections of trees. I would also recommend In The Wilds by Nigel Peake, a collection of the artist’s hand-drawn observations of rural life. It’s a very pretty little book.

What do you think? Any books on your good-to-give list this year?

P.S. — I may have to do a second book post, because there are so many great choices!

{ 2 trackbacks }

ebb & flow :: fabulous finds & divine designs » Weekend Wrap Up 11.11
November 11, 2012 at 11:39 am
Favourite things – Christmas gift guides | Naomi Bulger
November 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

1 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag November 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I second the Kokeshi books! We have one of the other ones, and they are SO special, and perfect to give as a gift. I am really hoping that Santa will leave me the Smitten Kitchen cookbook this year….:)

2 Sarah G November 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

It would be great if you could provide a link to gift guide #1. I had a look around and couldn’t find it.

3 Design Mom November 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

You bet, Sarah! Great idea. Added the link above, and here it is so you don’t have to search:

4 Hannah Alexander November 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm

One year I gave each of my nieces and nephews a book for Christmas. I made the mistake of wrapping one in a MacBook box. My nephew squealed with excitement when he peeled off the wrapping paper and said, “COOL! A LAPTOP!!!” It was a slightly different emotion when he opened the box and found a book, not a MacBook. Moral of the story: Give books, but be careful of the wrapping!
Love the books in this post! Especially 2, 4, and 6.

5 Sara O'Leary November 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Great list (and thanks so much for the mention of my small books!) I think I will have to look for a copy of Unusual Creatures for my own unusual creature. If you are doing another list I have a gift suggestion perfect for babies and new parents: Cozy Classics is a new series of board books that takes classic tales and turns them into simple word books with beautiful needle-felted illustrations. The first two titles in the series are Moby Dick and Pride & Prejudice. You can see more at their website: http://www.mycozyclassics.com/

6 Vandegee November 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm

The Chuck Close book is Great – for kids of all ages! It’s a great way of introducing kids to the concept of an artist’s process – something they get no inkling of at a museum. It also makes it easy to compare different mediums – and how the different mediums affect the way a painting or piece of art looks. We love this book! (it’s also great for kids to learn about Close’s paralysis – and a great way of opening up discussion of disabilities)

***sorry for any typos… Typing this on my phone and can’t edit!!!

7 teresa November 7, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I collect Kokeshis books!!!!! I really enjoy looking at the illustrations and my little nieces and nephews have turned fans also!!!!!

8 julia [life on churchill] November 7, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I’ve been hearing a lot about the Smitten Kitchen cookbook. Wondering how easy the recipes are? Definitely not an advanced cook..

9 Melissa November 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Hi Gabrielle,
I enjoy your well thought out posts, I learn something new every time you post. With that said I have given you a blog award as a thank you to making my days brighter. Check out my blog floraseasons.com for instructions.

10 Vana November 7, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Thanks for mentioning my book, Pretty Paper Parties, Gabriel! Always a pleasure to make your favorite books list. xo

11 Pamela November 8, 2012 at 3:10 am

I have been wanting to take one of Heather Ross’s workshops! Until then..her book will be the next best thing. Thanks for the recommendations!

12 invitation consultants November 8, 2012 at 9:51 am

books always make a great gift!

13 vermontmommy November 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I have the Pie book and think it is wonderful. My children have, “When you were small,” and it is quite sweet and funny.