Window Seat

October 11, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Do you prefer window or aisle? I’m a window girl, myself! On take-off and landing, and through all the clouds in between, I can’t tear my eyes away from the view below. No matter how many flights I take, the magic of it all never goes away. (Unless I’m stuck in a middle seat!)

In his Planes series, photographer Matt Low captured on other travelers’ faces the same child-like amazement he feels when gazing out the window at 30,000 feet. It’s wonderful.

Do you still get butterflies when you fly?

1 SEC October 11, 2012 at 7:20 am

Small bladder = need for aisle seat!

2 Amanda October 11, 2012 at 7:21 am

I actually just took my first flight in August, when I moved to China! It was a long one! And I had a middle seat, rats! But I have my fingers crossed that I’ll get a window seat eventually!

3 Jenni Bailey October 11, 2012 at 7:32 am

I love this series. I usually opt for an aisle because I’m tall and I want to get off the plane quickly when we land. But I spend plenty of time peeking across my neighbor at the view outside. I feel the same as you; I have flown a lot in my life but it still seems improbably and slightly bizarre that we are able to do it.

4 Megan @ Me and Wee October 11, 2012 at 7:44 am

Beautiful shots! That’s a great idea! I like the window seat for the views and as a place to rest my head/ball up my sweater into a pillow against. The butterflies I get during flight aren’t always because of the views; turbulence can do a number!

5 Camille October 11, 2012 at 7:45 am

These photos reminded me of Sophie Calle’s piece “Voir la mer”. The artist filmed men and women when they set eyes on the sea for the first time. Can you imagine such an emotion! I can’t even remember the first time I saw the sea – but even today it still takes my breath away…
The films are displayed in a gallery in Paris until October 27th http://www.startergallery.com/magazine/agenda/voir-la-mer…-sophie-calle

6 Ann October 11, 2012 at 8:16 am

window seat here! I love to take photos of the clouds. I love looking at the topography especially in the mountains. I love the crop circles too. All that puts me in complete awe.

7 Helen October 11, 2012 at 8:18 am

Window all the way. I LOVE flying – it just makes me happy to be going somewhere and I am in ore of being in the clouds.

As a teenager I had the opportunity to do aerobatics in a small 2-seater plane. It was incredible!

8 Sara October 11, 2012 at 8:27 am

No butterflies over here. We fly way too much and with many small children for way too many hours. After you fly around the world and it takes you 30 hours with toddlers flying just isn’t fun any longer. I’m an aisle girl myself. The kiddos get the windows.

9 Jen October 11, 2012 at 9:40 am

WINDOW. :) My favorite part every single time is feeling the plane accelerate down the runway then leave the ground. The speed, the huge plane overcoming gravity’s bonds, and the perspective out the window are truly awesome to me. It’s a rush every time, and I can’t help but smile. And I’m 44 years old. (That being said, if I’m with my kids, they get the window for sure.) I love your window seat photos.

10 Caroline from France October 11, 2012 at 9:49 am

I’m so honoured you gave me YOUR window twice :)
We miss you, come back soon !

11 Anné October 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

I have to say, I really like the option of the window because I like knowing that I’m not flying in a dark tin can. BUT I really don’t like the window seat, much too scary for someone like me! I prefer aisle seats and towards the middle or back. :)

12 bdaiss October 11, 2012 at 10:42 am

I was firmly aisle for a long time, but am now a window gal. I hated when people would pull the shade and not let me sneak a peak of the view. : )

I’m afraid being a frequent traveler has taken the butterflies out of flying (unless it’s fretting I’ll miss a connection). But I still love to do it.

13 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity October 11, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love having a window seat. I remember a few flights where i have had a map with me of the region we are flying over. I love following along and seeing it appear in 3-d before my eyes.

14 The New Diplomats Wife October 11, 2012 at 11:46 am

window seat all the way – somewhere to look when you’re awake, somewhere to put your head when you’re not!

15 tere October 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Window too, can’t get enough!! When I was at school I wanted to be a pilot, until I learned to drive cars, then I thought: If this is hard, I shouldn’t risk lives on and airplane! I really suck at driving…haha!

16 Darci October 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I used to love the window seat, but now I always choose the aisle. Don’t know if that’s my age, or that I have children ;) most of my travel these days are long overseas flights for business. I need to use the bathroom far too many times to take a window seat