Tiny Treasures: The Perfect Mug

October 18, 2012

By Koseli.

Chilly temperatures mean mug time. The perfect mug makes sipping hot drinks a daily ritual, and elevates the ordinary to a pleasurable distraction or even a family tradition. I stoically defended my favorite red cup all growing up; it was my cup and I truly believed everything tasted better in it, and no one — I mean no one — was to use it but me! I’ve since replaced that red cup with a personalized mug, and it makes my nighttime ritual of sipping chamomile tea from it the loveliest segue to serenity.

Do you have a favorite mug? Any morning or evening hot drink rituals? If you haven’t found your own mug just yet, this personalized postcard one or this simple white one may be just the thing.

Photo by 3191 Miles Apart.

P.S. — DIY monogram mugs.

{ 1 trackback }

Favorite Mugs | Erstwhile dear
November 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm

1 JR October 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I do have the perfect mug. It is a clear glass Anchor Hocking mug that has my name etched into the glass by a man at a flea market years ago. Everything about it is perfect for me: from its weight, to the handle, to the memory of my Dad purchasing it for me that day. I love it!

2 Koseli October 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm

A flea market find. I love those. Weight, handle, size. It’s all so important in picking the perfect mug. I love that you remember your dad purchasing it for you, too. So sweet.

3 Jimmy October 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

We have a few, slightly bigger than your standard mug, but well proportioned. They are all from promotions of one sort or another.

However, I just got a mug from an estate sale that I absolutely love. It is totally cheesy, just a regular white mug that says “Pray for me, I’m married to a Norwegian.” Got it while we were visiting my wife’s (Norwegian) family in the midwest. It’s perfect.

4 Koseli October 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm

My mom would love that mug! And I think my husband might, too. I can be a little stubborn. I love a mug that’s a bit oversized, too, Jimmy.

5 Molly October 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I do! I always have my morning coffee out of a whale mug.

Oddly, I have a small collection of whale mugs. This quirky habit began when I started to exclusively use two mugs I had picked up at a garage sale–both had whales on them. Initially I was drawn to the cylinder shape, easy handle and the light inside (it’s easier to see what I’m drinking) but I grew to love the old school print on the mugs too. I picked up another whale mug at a museum, found the 4th at Target, and the 5th was a gift. Luckily there aren’t too many mugs out that there meet my “whale mug” specifications, so the collection can’t grow to be too big.

It’s silly, but fun. And it’s turn to a nice little joke around the house.

6 Maria October 18, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I used to have a fantastic asian mug that I had my coffee in every morning, but my then 1 y/o broke it about a year ago. I almost cried. Coffee hasn’t been as good since. :(

7 Koseli October 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Oh no! Fair warning to protect mine from my son. Hope you find the perfect mug soon, Maria.

8 jessie hansen October 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm

We have a few craft shows at our civic center starting in November but our favorite one is the Potter’s Guild show. I love getting Christmas presents there. Last year we went and my husband saw a cup that he actually picked up and, well, essentially just had good vibes for. This never happens! So I bought it for him and bought myself one from the same lady in the same shape. We used them a lot last year. I bet we will use them even more this year when the weather starts getting cooler if I decide to make some of these “hot chocolates on sticks” I found on Pinterest! http://www.giverslog.com/?p=3290

9 Tasha October 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Thank you, so cool! Like those chocolate teaspoons…so decadent, right!?

10 Tasha October 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm

YES!!! Has to be a certain size, weight and feel LOL
Although “it” changes for me after a while those things remain the same:)

11 Erin October 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

We have a set of mugs that I threw myself on the wheel, and we love them. Well, actually mostly just three of them. The rest of the set aren’t quite the same, because they’re handmade and all slightly different.

Having been made with my own two hands, they fit my two hands just perfectly!

12 Koseli October 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I love that you made it! How special.

13 Sally October 18, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I try not to have a single favourite mug, because when I do it inevitably gets broken! I do have a weakness for mugs, though, and keep buying lovely ones – and my husband buys me mugs too. My former favourite was a pink one with a crown and ‘Mum Rules’ on it. Not one I’d have chosen myself but it was a present from my children! It cracked and leaked tea everywhere so now it’s a pencil holder on my desk.

My favourite coffee mug (I like a small mug for coffee) has a quotation from Louisa May Allcott: ‘She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain’. For tea, I like a good, big mug with a wide bottom so it doesn’t tip. I have some pretty ones with roses on, a rather lovely one with chickens, and a blue one with owls on, among others!

14 Rachel October 20, 2012 at 7:03 am

I have used the same Starbucks mug for 4 years. It’s a white matte finish with green inside (my favorite color!). Bought it on a girlfriends weekend and its comfort in a cup for me. Nobody is allowed to use it but me! :)

15 Kellee October 21, 2012 at 2:59 am

My favorite is a white mug with a cheesy “Kiss me I’m Irish” painted on one side. I’ve had it for 35 years – almost my whole life! When I was about 5 years old, I asked my mom why she had an Irish mug. (I knew that she wasn’t Irish, but that my dad was.) She explained that when she and my dad divorced, the mug just sort of ended up with her stuff. It wasn’t a big deal – it’s not like it was a high value item! – so she just never bothered to give it back to him. I was very lucky in that I got to see my dad every-other weekend growing up, and he called me every weekend that we didn’t spend together – but that still meant that I would go for two weeks at a time without seeing him. And so, whenever I missed him, I would drink from his mug. It’s kind of silly, but it made me feel better and so I’ve hung onto it for all of these years. He passed away a decade ago, and I still turn to that mug when I need a hug from my dad. So glad I have that little piece of him, insignificant though it may be!

16 Koseli October 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm

So sweet Kelle!

17 Rachael October 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I love this topic!

I think it makes such a nice effect when restaurants have unique mugs. It makes me want to return…which mug will I get this time? Or ask the waiter to grab a special one for me. : )

18 Koseli October 31, 2012 at 7:53 am

That is very true. I always love when a restaurant has great flatware that fits the restaurant’s overall vibe.