There’s No Such Thing As Pink

October 9, 2012

By Koseli.

MinutePhysics created this hand illustrated science lesson to teach about the color spectrum, light and the reason the color pink doesn’t exist. Gasp! Hold onto your chair but sky blue doesn’t exist either. Bill Nye was so right — science rules.

Dreamy minus green and green swirls found here.

P.S. — Moms out there. When you found out you were having a girl, were you turned off by all things pink, or did you embrace it? Have you ever dressed your boys in pink?

1 Barchbo October 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I have difficulty finding cute baby things that aren’t pink, animal print’ or both! And all the sayings and pictures! I like plain. Where are all of the solid color clothes for newborns?! :)

She’s only four weeks. – I notice there are more non-pink options as she gets older.

2 Koseli October 9, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I had such a hard time finding basics that weren’t covered in cartoon characters, cars, monkeys, etc. when I had my little boy. It drove me crazy! Solid onesies, leggings, cardigans and t-shirts in unisex colors are so practical, I’m surprised there isn’t a bountiful supply of them.

That being said, I love a good shade of pink any day!

3 ARM October 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I think a lot of European clothing makers make nice solid colored or striped stuff for kids (e.g., Hanna Andersson). And they favor strong colors. My mom (who is Danish) hates all the pastel stuff; she always gives my son things that are solid red or blue or burgundy, etc.

4 Koseli October 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

You’re totally right. Thanks for the tip. I’ll check those out.

5 Meggan Hayes October 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I have 4 girls. I still love the color pink. Matter of fact, we have one load of laundry, twice a week, that is only pink clothing. :)

6 April Louise October 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I think it was like that in my house growing up with three sisters!

7 Alliey October 9, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I just had a little boy, but his cloth diapers were bought second-hand from a mom of two girls. I find he rocks the pink diapers just as hard as the blue ones- he’s just a stylish guy like that.

8 Koseli October 9, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Ha! Wearing pink and proud.

9 Megan October 9, 2012 at 4:35 pm

When I found out I was having a girl, I planned a nursery around the idea of no pink. I just wanted something fun. Here’s how it turned out!

10 Linda K October 10, 2012 at 7:34 am

Beautiful! Well done. My daughter also has a pink-free room and wardrobe. At first it was my choice, but now that she is older it is by her choice. Phew.

11 SarahBeth October 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Loved your nursery when I first saw it on Apartment therapy. It was a great inspiration for my daughters grey-blue nursery. We didn’t know the sex when we painted and people kept asking “But what will you do if it’s a girl?!” I was pretty certain she wouldn’t grow up with any identity issues because of her nursery wall color!

12 Patricia October 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm

We have boy girl twins and I do not like the color pink or pastels for the most part. We went with more bright colors and mostly orange and blue. I tried very hard not to do gender specific colors especially since they share a room. As for clothing we didn’t discriminate. Both wore all different colors. When my son came home from preschool and told us pink was for girls, my husband went out and bought a few pink shirts to show him otherwise. He is 5 1/2 and happily wears pink :)

13 Koseli October 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Intervention. It’s cute that your husband took a stand. I like that.

14 julia [life on churchill] October 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I’m not opposed to pink, but my little girl also wears a lot of purple. And because I’m practical I try to have a few shirts/dresses in each of my wash load categories–blues/green, red/pink, whites and darks.

15 Emily October 9, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Another great post!

16 Corrie Anne October 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I love pink! I dress my husband in it, and would definitely use it for both boys & girls.

17 Koseli October 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I would too, Corrie Annie.

18 brittany October 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm

We are expecting a little girl in a few weeks and I have to admit I am tired of pink. Anytime I pick up something for the baby now I look for purple or teal or some other color because what if my little girl turns out not to be a fan of pink….by the way, using this video as a warmup with my 7th grade science class tomorrow. Thanks!

19 Erica October 9, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I have two girls (and a boy), and I adore the color pink. There is a lot of pink in our house from clothing, to bedding, and toys. My husband also wears some pink.

20 Jimmy October 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I prefer red. In fact, I think red wins the gender-neutral color competition over green by quite a bit if you’re like us and decide to wait to find out the baby’s sex.

21 Koseli October 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

I love red, too. So much.

22 sonia October 9, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I love pink too and I dress my son with every colors!

23 Regina October 9, 2012 at 11:25 pm

When we found out that our first would be a girl, I was gifted and handed-down so many pink clothes! I really wanted more neutral colors so I went out and bought yellow, green, and even blue. Then our daughter was born and sooo many people kept mistaking her for a boy. I got tired of that and surrendered to the color pink! :)

24 * October 9, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I think the way you dress your baby girl reflects how you interpret gender and feel about it.
I really wanted a baby girl and was blessed with 3. I prefer gentle pastels for babies, too bright seemed out of place for me. Once the girls were old enough to choose I tried to be sure they had a rainbow of colours to choose from.

25 @ October 10, 2012 at 2:58 am

I love this post, this is a favorite topic of mine! My toddler son has always worn soft, neutral colours – and yes, there is definitely pink in there! I don’t buy into the pink/blue division ;)

26 Carol October 10, 2012 at 6:36 am

I sewed! The brighter and more patterned the better–but it was the early 90s and that was still okay.

27 Rhonda October 10, 2012 at 8:45 am

I designed the nursery in golden yellow and blue before I knew my baby’s gender. When she was born I was drawn to navy, grey and green clothes. Turned out she looked fantastic in pale pink (little pink cheeks, pink lips, blue eyes, red curly hair). As she got older she loved loved loved pink and wore it almost exclusively. I got used to it since it looked so cute on her.

When I decorate onesies for baby gifts I have found that Target has many neutral solid color onesies, not just white. But really, babies are just so darn cute it doesn’t even matter what they wear.

28 Captain Crafty October 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

Pink was one of my twin boys favorite colors from the ages 2 to 5.
He chose pink clothing, toys, and my all time favorite – pink and white checkered Van’s sneakers.
My husband and I embraced his love of pink, it was a precious time while it lasted, now he prefers green.
I myself love all the colors of the rainbow and do my best to instill that in the wee ones too!

29 robyn October 10, 2012 at 11:34 am

my daughter just turned two months old and we are swathed in pink (from day to night) unless she’s wearing her brother’s hand-me-downs (which she does). of course, i’m dealing almost exclusively in hand-me-downs from her cousins which are (gloriously) free, so i don’t feel as though i should complain. as long as it functions, she can wear it. and truth be told, she looks wonderful in pink. :)

30 Kirsti October 10, 2012 at 11:54 am

When we were going to start baby swimming with my son Max (3 months) he needed swimming trunks. All they had was one in pink… Now everybody is asking how old my sweet baby girl is ;)

Kirsti

31 SarahBeth October 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

My husband is the curator of my daughter’s wardrobe. He loves to dress her in warm fall tones — mustard yellow, orangey-red, cobalt blue, and charcoal grey. She always gets mistaken for a boy, but even when she’s wearing pink and purple, polka-dots and hearts, so I’m not too worried about it. As her hair grows, the ponytails and pigtails will emerge and her gender will be much more obvious.

32 Dixie Fentriss October 10, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I found this post really interesting. I’m a painter and as I study color as it exists in the visual world and as I try to recreate what I see in paint I’ve realized that pink doesn’t really exist. In my experience, what we think of as pink is really a cool orange (vs. warm orange). It’s funny how people can come to similar conclusions by totally different routes.

33 Koseli October 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm

That is so interesting, Dixie! An artist’s eye.

34 Miss Frazzled October 11, 2012 at 12:00 am

My daughter loved pink, so I bought her pink. It suited her when she was little. At 9, she rarely asks for it, especially light pink.

My sons have never asked for pink, but I occasionally buy them polos or button-downs or ties with pink in them, and they wear them without complaint.

35 julie r October 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

when pregnant with my first (a girl), i was totally ANTI-pink! of course, she grew up to love it, but loves a full spectrum, let me tell ya! she loves to be colorful! anyway, then after having a boy, i had another little girl and enjoyed pink. maybe that blue in between made me appreciate pink more. :)

36 Elizabeth Hamister-Burnett October 12, 2012 at 7:51 am

The physics behind color is one of my favorite parts of teaching color theory to kids. It’s awesome how much more excited they are by learning the science than just mixing colors–although the young ones are pretty excited about that too. Thanks for posting this video. It’s a great resource for teachers and parents alike…and pink abounds in my household. I shied away from pink when Milla was born, but she grasped onto it with both hands and I’m glad. I love it!

37 Koseli October 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm

It is so fascinating—and important to understand, too. Thanks, Elizabeth!

38 Corinne October 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I guess I’m boring, but I loved pink, especially soft pink, for my little girls. And blue for the boys.

And I like pink or purple on men– we lived in England for a couple years and men have embraced the pink/purple ties there more wholeheartedly than men here. I think it can look really good. I have almost bought my hubby a pink tie a couple of times and chickened out because I wasn’t sure if he would wear it. :)