The Impact of One

October 16, 2012

By Gabrielle.

I’m home from Ethiopia. And my life is rushing around me as usual. Filling backpacks. Laundry (always laundry). Errands. Work. After-school activities like tennis and trombone. Kitchen Cleanup…

But my mind is never far from what I learned/experienced/saw last week. The thing I keep coming back to is how much impact one passionate person can make. Every organization we met with had at least one key person. Someone who made this good thing happen. They made the plan. They raised the money. They hired the workers. And they helped dozens, or hundreds, or thousands of people.

I still have lots to tell you about what I learned in Ethiopia. I want to tell you about the inventive medical system in the rural areas. I want to tell you about 2 scarf factories — a big one and a small one — and the very real help they’re offering to the people involved. I want to tell you about the women beekeepers we met. I want to tell you how communities are learning about farming and nutrition.

I know last week was pretty heavy, so I’ll be spacing these reports out over the next while. I hope you’ll read them and think about how you, you yourself, might make an impact. And I’ll be thinking the same thing: How will I, Gabrielle Blair, make an impact? I want to make a big one!

Image by Karen Walrond.

Last week, I was in Ethiopia at the kind invitation and expense of The ONE Campaign, a nonpartisan, advocacy organization dedicated to the fight against extreme poverty and malnutrition, particularly in Africa. ONE works to convince governments to invest in smart programs that save lives. While there, I traveled with a group of parenting bloggers to observe how the organizations for which ONE advocates are effecting real change in Ethiopia.

ONE doesn’t ask for your money, just your voice. If you’re moved by anything you read or see here, or on the ONE blog, please consider adding your voice, and join ONE by filling this form. Your information will remain confidential.

{ 1 trackback }

ONE | The Impact of One
October 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm

1 Christa the BabbyMama October 16, 2012 at 6:54 am

I wish more people understood that it starts with a single person who has a dream and the passion to follow through!

2 Melanie October 16, 2012 at 7:02 am

I can’t imagine how overwhelming it must have been to have that experience. I’m looking forward to reading more about what you saw and learned and how it affected or inspired you.

3 BON VOYAGE October 16, 2012 at 7:04 am

Thank you for your brilliance and sharing this part of the world with us. I’ve been in awe and incredibly inspired all week by your involvement and participation. Way to go Mom… Thank you

4 Boston Mamas October 16, 2012 at 7:31 am

Gabby, it was so, so wonderful to share this experience with you. I’ve always known you to be smart, generous, thoughtful, and creative — and I feel like I saw these qualities at an even deeper level. Love you so much.

5 elz October 16, 2012 at 8:47 am

So right. I was thinking about the power of one the other day. My husband and his friend started a charity shooting tournament with a local breast cancer charity last year. The first year they raised $50,000, this year they raised $108,000. Just two guys who wanted to help our friend’s wife (breast cancer fighter) and figured out how to make an impact. I guess their story is the power of two! But, people really can make a difference.

6 Jeannine October 16, 2012 at 11:28 am

Love you so much!

7 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux October 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thanks so much for sharing…it sounds like such a wonderful organization and it’s so nice to see where we can really make a difference. Thank you – you are inspirational! I’m so glad I found your blog – so energizing.

8 Amy Hackworth October 16, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I remember when I realized there isn’t a collective “they” that gets things done. It starts with one person. It’s amazing, and blows my mind a little every time I think about it. It’s exhilarating and a little intimidating at the same time.

So glad you had the chance to go and I’m looking forward to reading more about it!

9 Mom101 October 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

You WILL make an impact. I think you already do.

10 michelle twin mum October 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I want t make an impact too Gabby. I can see you having a real impact for Mula with all the contacts you have. Mich x