Subway Poetry

October 16, 2012

By Koseli.

One of the unspoken rules when riding the subway is never, ever stare at the other passengers. But that doesn’t mean you can’t find art there and ogle all you’d like!

Jack Cheng takes pictures of ads in subway stations and turns the words into poetry. He calls it Subway Cento. The torn and faded ads when rearranged and juxtaposed becomes strangely meaningful, doesn’t it?

I see people all the time stopping to snap pictures of what I might consider nothing-too-special. But I wonder if they take it home and turn it into art like Jack Cheng does. Do you ever find art in unsuspecting places? What do you do with it?

{ 2 trackbacks }

Happy Friday! | Breakfast in Moscow
October 19, 2012 at 4:29 am
Underground Poetry « Annie Cardi
October 19, 2012 at 11:20 am

1 Stephanie October 16, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Fun! I always inspect the subway posters, mostly because I never remember reading material. The no staring rule is true, but isn’t that the case in most public arenas? I have honed my looking-but-not-staring skills over the years of riding the subway and bus.

2 Mara {A Blog About Love} October 16, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I love this so much. I think I’ll look at the Subway ads in a different way now.

3 amy c October 17, 2012 at 8:31 am

I love this!

4 Lindsay - Shrimp Salad Circus October 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I love this! I’m a big ‘snapper of random things,’ so I can definitely appreciate it. I like to turn some into ‘quotables’ posters with a quote over them, and others are fun just to serve as a bit of inspiration when I need it. Maybe it’s the color palette or maybe just the design, but it’s fun to collect random bits and pieces through photography!

5 Ester October 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Interesting idea. Reminds me of London tube guerrilla signs – http://imgur.com/a/lUWTG
(A different kind of subway poetry.)