Olive Us: Episode 10: Carwash

October 18, 2012

Carwash. A fun little video by OliveUs.TV

This post is brought to you by Volkswagen. It’s not the miles, it’s how you live them. Read our stories or share your own at whyvw.com.
Oh man! I’m so excited for you to see this video because we had such an amazing time filming it. We started by borrowing this insanely charming, perfectly restored VW Bus from friends in St. George, Utah.

Growing up, my family always drove Volkswagen vans and as an adult, they’ve been my car of choice as well. (Here’s the VW Transporter we drive now.) So you can imagine I was feeling nostalgic that day!

Want more behind the scenes? Here you go:

Carwash. A fun little video by http://OliveUs.TV

Once we had the van, we scouted a location. We knew the gorgeous VW would look great against the local red rocks. So we drove around until we found a potential spot, then we’d knock on the door of the house and inquire about shooting a video in their back yard. Hah! We ended up shooting at Cottam Farm (fun fact: my family used to buy milk from the some of Cottam cousins).

When we picked up the van, we found a vintage cooler and coordinating luggage inside. We could not believe how awesome it was! We decided the cooler would work well with the story line and filled it with old-fashioned sodas — a reward for a job well done. St. George is still a small town in some ways and it was hard to find vintage soda pop. We ended buying these bottles from… Old Navy!

Carwash. A happy little video by www.oliveus.tv

When we borrowed the VW, it was sparkling clean, so we had to get it dirty. The day before the shoot, we parked it on location on the red dirt and covered it until it was filthy.

That night, a heavy rainstorm moved through the area and in the morning, the van was spotless again. : ) So we dirtied it up once more.

Carwash. A happy little video by www.oliveus.tv
Carwash video by OliveUs.Tv
Carwash. A fun little video by http://OliveUs.TV

Carwash. A fun little video by http://OliveUs.TV

As you can imagine, making the bubble beards was one of the favorite parts. But Baby June would none of it. Sweet thing. Bubbles in the bath is A-OK, but bubbles at the carwash were no go. So we distracted her and put some bubbles on her hair where she wouldn’t feel them.

Carwash. A fun little video by http://OliveUs.TV

Carwash. A fun little video by OliveUs.TV

It felt like a big family affair. And the simple story line (a grumpy child finding a better attitude and embracing a day of work) was something that felt true to life for our family.

I hope you enjoy the video!

Carwash. A fun little video by OliveUs.TV

1 julia g blair October 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

LOVED going through the process with you! What a fun outing!
Eager for Gabby to be safely home again. October is going too fast. We are
enchanted always with Design Mom and Ben and Ralph, Maude, Olive, Oscar, Betty and sweet baby June. What a terrific Tribe!

2 Christina @ Homemade Ocean October 18, 2012 at 8:51 am

That looks like fun! I can’t believe you had to dirty it up TWICE :)

3 Design Mom October 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

Isn’t that crazy? Rain in St. George is such a rarity!

4 amy c October 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

so cute!! June is absolutely darling (so are the rest of them)! Love the van.

5 Liz - Image3D October 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Wow that is sooo fun! made me smile :-)

6 Corinne October 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I love it! Your kids are such great actors! These episodes are my favorite, though I love your whole website. Well done! (my kids love to watch these videos too) :)

7 Design Mom October 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thank you, Corinne! We love making the videos and it’s wonderful to get positive feedback.

8 marilee pittman October 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm

We had a van just like this one. I loved it and love the video.

9 Lisa | Happy By October 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Little June helping with everything you shoot and following her siblings is just priceless :) She’s growing up so fast!

10 Christy@SweetandSavoring October 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Who would think of finding vintage soda bottles at Old Navy? Nice detective work! And all around wonderful shoot/video- I love the location, the bubbles, the vintage-ness and of course the adorable family. You guys rock!

11 Design Mom October 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hah. I totally felt like a detective!

12 Amy Hackworth October 18, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Sooo fun–I love it! Looks like your kids are having fun doing these, too. This is such a great project!

13 Tamsin October 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Cute! And next time you need a vintage soda in St. George, check out Judd’s General Store. They have shelves upon shelves :) http://www.greengatevillageinn.com/juddsindex.html

14 Design Mom October 21, 2012 at 9:25 am

Yes! I’m a big fan of Judds. My dad actually taught at Woodward School which is across the street, and the year I went to Woodward, the entire 6th grade would visit Judds every lunch hour. : )

Bummer for us, it was closed for a summer break the week we were filming. Shucks!

15 Sophie October 19, 2012 at 4:47 am

Great video! I like the music very much and decided to get it for myself! It reminds me of The cruel Sea (Album the Honeymoon is over). Do you know them?
I love to read your web site. I am so admiring how creative you are, and when I think that you have six kids… a super Mom really! All the best, Sophie

16 Emily October 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Love the video but have to say, my first thought (being from that area) was: Yikes! Maude’s white pants and that red dirt! How did you get around it?

17 Design Mom October 21, 2012 at 9:27 am

They got so dirty! After the shoot, we made a paste of detergent and water and scrubbed it into the spots. Luckily, most of the mess washed right out.

18 liso. October 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Oh, no! Come on, not Old Navy! Old fashioned soda bottles can be found in just about every variety at Judd’s General Store downtown…

Next time!

19 Jeannine October 23, 2012 at 9:26 am

so loved the video, and love your family!! xoxo

20 Kate October 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hello Gabrielle! As a fellow at George native myself, you must have forgotten about Judd’s store on tabernacle and main! They have all things vintage soda and candy! Just a little tip for next time, ;)

21 Em April 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm

This is so cute! Great video too!!