NYC + Martha Stewart’s American Made

October 17, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Friends. I’m on a plane again. Can you believe it? I’m about to land in NYC for a really quick trip. And I always love a trip to New York, so despite the emotional avalanche of my last 2 weeks, I’m feeling good.

The purpose for my trip is a speaking engagement at a big event called American Made. Martha Stewart Living is transforming Grand Central into a multimedia celebration of American artists, artisans and entrepreneurs. It’s a two-day, one-of-a-kind artisanal fair showcasing the best of American food, fashion, design, community, gardening, crafts and technology. Doesn’t that sound fabulous?

I’m speaking on the last panel of the event with some of my blogging idols — Maxwell of Apartment Therapy, Deb of Smitten Kitchen, and Erica of P.S. I Made This. Pilar Guzman, editor of Martha Stewart Living, will be moderating the panel. (I adore Pilar!).

I’ve done my fair share of speaking, but I have to tell you, this panel intimidates me. Please wish me luck! And I’d love to know: what sorts of things intimidate you?

P.S. — If you’d like to eavesdrop on the American Made event, follow the #americanmade hashtag on Twitter.

1 Lori H October 17, 2012 at 11:37 am

Speaking in front of a group is intimidating enough, but on a panel of such famous bloggers (I am including you!) I would be terrified. But excited to be there :)

2 Caroline October 17, 2012 at 11:40 am

Ha ! New York ! Grand Central ! Martha Stewart ! Say Hello for me :)

3 Giulia October 17, 2012 at 11:40 am

I’ve been following along on Twitter. Looks like such a great event. I’m usually fine speaking in front of people if it isn’t about myself. With Deb on your panel it should be pretty funny.

4 rachel swartley October 17, 2012 at 11:41 am

You get to NYC more often than I do… and I’m only 100 miles away! :)

5 Kinga Bereczki October 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

Good luck and have fun! And don’t worry, I’ve seen your speech at the Hive this spring…you were great, light and funny just how a crowd likes it!

6 Ann October 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I can hardly speak in front of kids let alone adults. What an honor! Have fun!

7 G at willowday October 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm

You ARE the modern fairy tale! Gina

8 Dale Coykendall October 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Have a blast, you’ll be great

9 Lisa October 17, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Congratulations! You’re gonna do great. After freaking out reading all those mother’s post on how your life changes after you have kids, you are my comfort, hope and inspiration when it comes to doing what you love even with 6 kids Gabrielle. Have a safe trip and successful presentation:)

10 Heidi October 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm

How wonderful that you can take the lessons (or should I say the spirit) of Ethiopia to this next event. Good luck!

11 Brandy @ The Prudent Homemaker October 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Pilar Guzman is pretty awesome!

I’ve been a speaker at events that included Liz Lemon Swindle and John Bytheway. I spoke in the room next door, though, and not next to one another on a panel! I did get to have dinner with Liz and dessert the next day, and I learned that she teaches her grandchildren to paint. That was an interesting conversation.

I spoke last night in public, and I’m speaking again on Saturday, but if I ever get to speak on such a great panel, I would be very excited! I’m sure you are, too!

12 Megan October 17, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Pilar’s MOM intimidates me! :)

Actually, Ms. Guzman is a wonderfully generous opera singer that I had the pleasure of meeting as an undergraduate classical voice student. Very inspiring and helpful to young aspiring singers.

Imagine my surprise, when many years later, subscribing to Living… I opened the magazine to read the editorial page and I recognized the name! Pilar mentioned her mother in her monthly piece at some point last year, confirming my hunch, and I smiled enjoying the neat little connection between my two passions: music and craft-homemaking-resourcefulness!

13 allysha October 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

You will do awesome. If I were still in NY I’d come. Good luck!

14 Christy@SweetandSavoring October 17, 2012 at 4:27 pm

What a fun event this sounds like! Wish I could make the trip down!

I get intimidated whenever I feel I need to “present” myself- at job interviews, for example (today I was so nervous, and it was only a baby-sitting gig!). That dang self doubt creeps in for no reason whatsoever! This is a huge presenting-yourself-situation, but I’m sure you’ll do great :) Have fun!

15 Dee October 17, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Gabrielle, I’ll be in town and I saw something about this event on facebook. I’m definitely going to try to make it now that I know you’ll be there. :)

16 Azra October 17, 2012 at 8:31 pm

You will be fabulous, I am sure. Have fun and remember to breathe. :)

17 susan October 18, 2012 at 5:43 am

Gabrielle, We love you because you are ‘real’ and leading an intentional life in France (OK, I am jealous about that) with a large family. You are an asset to that panel. They are probably intimidated by you:)

18 Sharon @ Discovering Blog October 18, 2012 at 7:24 am

You should create a calendar section on Design Mom, so we’d know in advance about these great events! I would have loved to have attended this – it looks like it will be full of awesome.
Hope your flight is time away from your family is smooth and quick.

19 Aline October 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Rude people usually intimidates me a lot. (Sometimes I even cry..)

Have a good trip!

20 Alexis January 2, 2013 at 5:33 pm

This is so delayed but how did you like the American Made event? I actually illustrated the canvas tote bags they gave away for the event, which was such an honor, but I was itching to be there myself! I think it would have been SO inspiring!

21 walmart garcinia cambogia March 23, 2013 at 8:33 am

A fascinating discussion is worth comment. There’s no doubt that that you ought to publish more about this issue, it might not be a taboo matter but generally people do not speak about such subjects. To the next! All the best!!|