Meet Koseli

October 29, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Please tell me you’re loving meeting my new contributors as much as I’m enjoying introducing them to you! Up next is Koseli, who finds the coolest things for us daily in addition to having one of the coolest names ever. (I just discovered that I’ve been saying it all wrong in my head!) A New York transplant, she also gives me a lovely dose of East Coast edge that I crave all the way from La Cressonnière. Among other things, Koseli has shown us beautiful subway art, changed the way we see clouds in the sky, and took us along when she met Maira Kalman. And now, I’d love for you to meet her. Friends, this is Koseli!

Q: If we only knew four things about you, what would they be?

A: I love young adult fiction and crave good solid teen angst every couple of months. Keeps me grounded. I love to cook, collect Japanese stickers and stationery, and I also have serious wanderlust. I want to move to Copenhagen, or really anywhere in Scandinavia, for a year and see everything. My name is Norwegian, actually, and pronounced Kos-lee. There isn’t an exact English translation but it’s an adjective that means warm and cozy. Like Christmas morning. (I couldn’t stop at four!)

Q: How did you get here?

A: I come from a big, happy family, and what I’ve learned within that framework defines much of who I am. My husband’s name is Keenan. He’s my better half and I still feel like I’m crushing on him even after five years. I don’t feel like my professional pursuits can be unraveled from my personal ambitions; they work in tandem. Unlikely mentors along the way have guided me towards copywriting, but blogging was always there, keeping me writing and aspiring — though I was scared to death and only published privately until I started Inadvertent Haiku last year. I’ve since retired IH and just launched Original Archiving Company. It’s blog as catalog.

Reading is so important to me. The first year I lived in New York City I worked at a huge publishing house and had unprecedented access to a multitude of bookshelves labeled Free Books. I read more than 300 books that year. My mind was already buzzing with the newness and oddities of the city; unearthing previously undiscovered authors was the cherry on top. It was a transformative time for me. I spent almost every lunch break sitting in a park off Hudson Street, reading. It makes me super nostalgic just thinking about it.

I also think that kindness and curiosity are two of the most important qualities a person can pursue.

Q: Tell us about your life today, right this very minute.

A: I often feel like a child playing an adult, but I’ve always been an old soul. I say I love this or I love that at least twenty times a day. But I really mean it! I have a one year old little boy named Silas. He has mullet-like blonde hair that I just can’t bear to trim! I take mental snapshots of him constantly. I feel I’ve become more me and more creative since his birth, which has been a wonderful surprise.

We’ve called Brooklyn home for four years but are both transplants from the West. In simplified terms, we love the take-out but hate the winter blues. If you’re ever in New York City, get in touch! I would love to recommend our favorite restaurants and to-dos in the city, and will also cleverly convince you to cross the bridge and explore the best borough of them all. Oh, my Brooklyn. Please do not miss Brooklyn Bridge Park at night!

Q: Three things you love, and three things you don’t love at all!

A: I love tiny things, stickers, brunch, tacos, a good zinger, my son’s rosy cheeks, and Freaks and Geeks. (I could not keep it to three for the life of me.) I do not like unhelpful customer service representatives, lousy fitting t-shirts, and Thai food. I’ve tried liking Thai for so long but I threw in the towel this summer. All I ever want to eat is a variation of a burrito bowl so I keep canned black beans, fresh mozzarella, spinach, green chiles, and brown rice on hand, always.

Q: How do you spend the favorite part of your everyday?

A: Almost every morning before my husband and son wake up, I walk or run in Prospect Park. Some say Frederick Olmstead saw it as his personal masterpiece. I run by splashing natural waterfalls, dense green woods, and a shimmering lake en route to home. The park has kept me a happy Brooklyn resident while I miss the pined and wild mountains of my home state. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to Prospect Park to get away from the city and felt like I was transported somewhere far away. It’s important to feel transported every once in awhile. It’s a magical place.

Q: The last thing you saw online that moved you…

A: I feel like I should say something serious, but Pusheen. I am just another person who loves funny, fluffy, fat cat pictures. If they’re animated, all the better. Truthfully, there are so many things I see online that move me but sometimes I just need a laugh.

Q: If you were given one do-over, what moment would you choose to change?

A: The second I threw in a ‘d’ in H-E-G-E-M-O-N-Y in my elementary school’s spelling bee. I was meant to be a District contender!

Q: Please fill in the blanks: If I weren’t a (blank), I’d probably be (blank).

A: If I weren’t a mediocre cook, I’d be a food critic. I love good food so much but my palate is nothing close to educated. Maybe joy school standard!

—-

Thank you, Koseli! I love that your name means warm and cozy…like Christmas morning! And when you wrote that “I feel like I’ve become more me and more creative since his birth,” I smiled at your luck. It’s a wonderful thing when our babies bring us closer to our truest selves, isn’t it?

P.S. — You’ll be meeting more of my lovely and smart contributors soon!

1 Dasha October 29, 2012 at 9:31 am

I like the way you write about your contributors and the way you pick them… After reading this post, I start to know why I am loving your blog!!

2 Koseli October 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Gabrielle is the sweetest. I love getting to know the other contributors this way.

3 val October 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

Simply Beautiful! Koseli, your responses are so descriptive and lovely, I can actually imagine the places and people you described. My favorite: that your son has “mullet-like blonde hair that I just can’t bear to trim”. It brought so many joyful memories of my own sons at that stage of life. I also love your description of Prospect Park. I definitely want to visit now! Here’s praying that you stay safe and protected from Sandy :)

4 Koseli October 29, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thank you so much, Val. It is a magical thing to be a new mother. (I still consider myself “new” after one year.) It’s surreal experiencing what I’ve waited for all my life.

If Prospect Park is left after Sandy hits, give me a call so we can explore together. :)

5 Azra October 29, 2012 at 10:02 am

You are so lovely! I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you.

6 Koseli October 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thank you Azra! Look forward to writing many more that I hope you’ll love.

7 Chedva October 29, 2012 at 10:57 am

I love those posts! And Koseli, I have a cousin who has the same (beautiful) name as yours – I always thought it was Hungarian.

8 Koseli October 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Oh, really? I’ve never met anyone with the same name. How cool.

9 Janssen October 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

What a beautiful post – I can’t wait to meet the rest of the team!

10 g October 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I lived in Norway for nearly a year and a half and “koselig” was one of my favorite words. We should import it, since we don’t have an equivalent in the states. I’m new to design mom and though my personal strengths lie elsewhere than design, I am enjoying my time here. Thank you for contributing.

11 Koseli October 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Oh, how sweet! Yes, my parents chose the name because it is their favorite Norwegian word. And lucky you for living in Norway for a year and a half!

12 Dee October 29, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hi Koseli! I’m a native Brooklynite and spent my entire childhood in Prospect Park. I love to meet people who have adopted my beloved borough as home. :) My own Spelling Bee mistake was “familys” instead of families. I could’ve won first place! Argh! Anyway, nice to meet you.

13 Koseli October 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for letting me love Brooklyn, too. It is so amazing.

Darn Spelling Bees.

14 amy c October 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm

It’s so nice to know more about you! What a lovely interview. Prospect Park sounds wonderful, what a nice way to start the day. :)

15 Koseli October 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Thanks Amy! It is a very nice way to start the day. With the hurricane, I’ve obviously skipped a few runs and I’m missing the “runner’s high” like crazy.

16 Stacy Remer October 29, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I have loved the DesignMom blog for what seems like forever and now I will love it even more with Koseli as a contributor! She probably doesn’t remember me, but I worked with her as a youth in the West. I’m not surprised she has grown into the wonderful young woman that I just had the pleasure to read about! I look forward to more contributions from her to the Design Mom blog.

17 Koseli October 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Stacy! Of course I remember you. You were such a good leader. Thank you so much for commenting and I hope you and your family are doing wonderfully.

18 Carly October 29, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I’m so excited you are to have residence here. I (as you know) just love you and love thinking about you and Keenen and Silas making life wonderful in NY. You write beautifully.

19 Koseli October 31, 2012 at 7:46 am

Thank you, Carly! :)

20 tere October 30, 2012 at 11:00 am

Nice to meet you! I’m loving your posts, great voice!

21 dervla @ The Curator November 1, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Hi Koseli, I’ve always loved this blog, but your posts are so sweet and personal and totally draw me in. Looking forward to reading more of your posts and following you on your own blog also.

22 Koseli November 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Thank you Dervla. I appreciate that so much. I love being here and there.

23 Sasha Peterson November 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I must say the meaning of your name, koseli, is perfect description of how your posts make me feel. Your beautifully sincere and simple posts are like a fountain of hot cocoa for this momma bears soul. Keep up the awesome job your family is so proud I am sure!

24 Koseli November 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Thank you, sweet sister. I’ll be your Cocoa-Motion any day.

25 Summer March 22, 2013 at 10:04 am

Ah, my favorite contributer! I missed this post in the beginning though. Kose-lee? That’s so pretty (I’ve been saying Kus-selly, haha)! We almost broke up at the Thai food comment, but seriously, burrito bowls are amazing. You’ve been redeemed. ;)

26 Summer March 22, 2013 at 10:05 am

Doh, and I just realized how I missed this post – I was in NYC at the time trying to outrun Sandy. :P

27 http://www.yk-yy.com/plus/view.php?aid=57439 August 23, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Le droit de grve est un droit humain fondamental . mme pour un tudiant. Il est l’expression d’un droit d’opinion et de conviction auquel tout tre humain a droit. Faudrait il aussi interdire le droit d’expression selon les Libraux. A ton encore le droit d’tre anti libral sans tre tax d’anarchiste??? Je pose la dilemma: parce qu’au vu du grand dballage de la fee Charbonneau, il semble pourtant qu’il rgnait une belle anarchie dans certaines administrations librales. Mais il est vrai que cellel profitait au grand march capitaliste