Jessie Willcox Smith

October 17, 2012

This post is brought to you by Art.com. Before October is over, Art.com will be hosting a $500 shopping spree especially for their Pinterest followers. Follow them here, then watch for details!

——-

By Gabrielle.

Do you enjoy Americana art? I think my favorite pieces are by Norman Rockwell. But a close second are illustrations by Jessie Willcox Smith. Do you know her work? Her drawings of children are so sweet they will melt you.

My mother displayed Books In Winter in our house growing up and she feels it influenced my sisters and I to become avid readers — more avid than my brothers. So when she put together a playroom for her grandchildren, she made sure to include another Jessie Willcox Smith print, but she purposefully picked one featuring both a boy and a girl. : )

Have you ever felt a piece of art had direct impact on your actions?

P.S. — Speaking of Americana, Art.com just launched a whole section dedicated to American Art by region. Also, here’s a gorgeous video about American craftsmanship.

1 Angela October 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

Only sisters in my house growing up – but we had multiple pictures of libraries posted in the hall upstairs, and this one was my favorite:

My mom always bought the CBC’s book week poster, and we had a rotating cast of those up as well. They are awesome:

2 tere October 17, 2012 at 11:54 am

I could just stare at archimboldo pieces for hours when I was a girl, but I really loved all paintings and drawings from Carl Larsson, with a living family living inside what a gnome home would be… they are beautiful and my kids love them now too.

3 G at willowday October 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Yes and Yes again. One of my favorite things my mother did was to ask us to write stories about what was happening in the paintings… I can still fall into the world behind a piece of art.

4 Brandy @ The Prudent Homemaker October 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I have this picture in TWO bedrooms (one small image and one large image, both framed. The large one has hung in my daughte Winter’s bedroom for several years.

I also have two other Jesse Willcox Smith pieces framed in my house. One is a boy and girl in a library, and it hangs in my library. The other is a little girl looking at a starry sky.

I’m going to be moving the two ones with little girls into the other girls’ room soon.

5 Bridget October 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Gabrielle, if you’re interested, there’s a book detailing some of the history of the three famous lady-painter-roommates of that day and age, the Red Rose Girls (Jessie Wilcox Smith, Elizabeth Shippen Green, and Violet Oakley). I will say I didn’t like it as much as I had hoped —there weren’t enough pictures! But they certainly lived fascinating lives!

6 Cathy October 17, 2012 at 4:02 pm

A few days ago, I bought a Jessie Wilcox Smith calendar for 2013! I learned to like her artwork MANY years ago as covers on Good Housekeeping magazine.

7 Leslie October 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Since I am an art history major- you betcha! art does influence. I have art in my home for my girls and 1 boy. The art portrays girls doing things or symbolizing virtues that I want to instill in them, and boy art with the same idea. People always comment on how powerful the art is when they walk into our home.