Hair Vitamins

October 19, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Did you have a hair fall-out after you had a baby? I did. After every single one. And then, for at least a year afterward, I would have this awkward new hairline as the regrowth came in. You too? Annoying, yes, but a minor grievance when I had such no-problem pregnancies.

But. When June was born, I had my usual hair fall-out. Then it kept falling. Not as heavily as post-birth, but not as slowly as it should to be considered “normal”. So my hair stylist here in France, who has been watching my hair since June was 9 months old, is worried. And I am too!! If I am permanently losing my hair, I’m going to tell you right now, that I will A) freak out, and B) buy a wig. : )

At my last appointment, he encouraged me to take these Kerastase supplements, and told me I would start seeing results in a minimum of 8 weeks. I’ve been taking them for about 3 weeks now, so I still have a long time until I know if they’re working. Have you ever tried these? Any advice for me?

P.S. — The picture at top is my hair right before June was born, pre-fallout. Also, my stylist told me he had a client that was 101 years old, and had hair regrowth with these vitamins! Do you think he was teasing me?

1 Aliesha October 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

My hair also fell out – a lot – after I had my daughter. And, I feel like it’s kept falling out too! Except, unlike you, no one will acknowledge that my hair is thinner than it used to be, not even my stylist who knew my hair before, during, and after my pregnancy. It is so frustrating because I can SEE the evidence in the shower every day. It is certainly falling out faster than is normal. And my kid is about to turn 2! Anyway – maybe I need to give these a shot. I didn’t have thick hair before, but it’s getting ridiculous.

2 raleigh-elizabeth October 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

Has anyone’s hair fallen out DURING pregnancy? Because that’s my problem right now. I’m terrified to even comb!

3 Jennifer October 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

That’s me right now (at 13 weeks pregnant). And it’s freaking me out.

My previous pregnancy I lost, maybe, 30 hairs total, and then made up for it @ 3-1/2 months postpartum.

I just finished combing my hair out while reading this post and was left with a bird’s nest of loose hairs sitting by the computer. If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know it’s normal!

4 Catherine October 20, 2012 at 8:08 am

It’s completely normal. Postpartum hair loss is caused by changes in hormone levels – obviously the same thing happens in the first trimester and a bit after. I lost quite a lot until about 16 weeks, then it just stopped and I don’t think I lost a single hair until two months postpartum.

5 Kate October 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

I feel like my hair has been falling out a little too much lately so I’ve started taking Biotin. I’m curious to hear what you think about your fancy hair vitamins — I might have to upgrade!

6 Sarah J October 19, 2012 at 8:44 am

I had a major hair loss incident (it was months and months) that was related to iron deficiency, so I’d get that checked out. It was prior to my wedding so I was really freaked. I barely recall the post-baby loss in comparison.

7 Holly-girl October 19, 2012 at 8:48 am

I also had this happen and I have a lot less hair than I had pre-kids. About a year ago, I started taking a daily multi-vitamin and doing vegetable juicing/smoothies each morning and I feel like it has helped! My hair isn’t at a ‘pre-kids’ level of thickness, but it’s quite a bit better than it was a year ago.

8 {plum} October 19, 2012 at 8:54 am

1. you’re gorgeous!
2. holy crap you carried small! I was the size of a house. an unsitely American Mcmansion at that!
3. those witty Frenchmen, you never know. ;)
4. hopefully the vitamins do the trick. I’ll be curious to hear your results. good luck.

9 chelsea October 19, 2012 at 8:57 am

I had the same problem after my second, where the hairdresser freaks out and the awkward hairline. I started using Shu Uemera carnelia hair oil. I put some directly on the scalp and massage and then the ends. Then I rinse it out when I shower in the morning. I have very fine hair and I feel like this has made a huge difference for me. Bon Chance!

10 Casey Smith October 19, 2012 at 8:58 am

I’ve had the same problem. Very heavy loss about 2 months after my son was born and he’s now going on 6 months and it’s still falling out. This is also my 1st child. Everything about the pregnancy/birth was easy breezy and now this:( I’m ready to try these vitamins but I’m breast feeding. Was there any mention of whether that would be safe?

11 E October 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

I am not a mom yet but I have had three distinct experiences with hair loss at 19, mid-twenties, and late-twenties. It took me until the third time to realize the trend: each time I switched a birth control. That makes me think I am very sensitive to hormonal changes and will likely experience this intensely when I am pregnant!

The last time I went to a dermatologist who told me to use Rogaine for women. Since hair growth takes a long time to notice, maybe it would have grown back fine on its own, or maybe it was the Rogaine, but I believe it really helped! After the first few weeks, my scalp began to itch which meant the new hair was coming in.

Additionally, I’ve taken Biotin (over-the-counter supplement) and it’s helped with my hair and perpetually weak nails.

12 Amy Hackworth October 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Ah ha! Hormones! This makes so much sense! I needed this answer, E!

13 Justine @ The Lone Home Ranger October 21, 2012 at 11:33 am

I had the same experience when switching birth control and after babies, and I agree that hormones play a large role. I take biotin, which I think can make individual hairs stronger but would be surprised if it helped regrow hair. Honestly I think some women are unlucky, and there isn’t much you can do except maintain a good diet/sleep/hydration, strive for good mental health, and perhaps keep taking vitamins. I’m not a doctor but have heard Rogaine can lead to potentially permanent side effects of skin damage. I worry that they don’t do enough testing on those drugs before allowing people to serve as guinea pigs. Take care of yourselves, ladies!

14 Amy Jo Schenewark October 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

How old are you? Such a delicate question, I know, but in your 40s our thyroid production gets lower, and our hair thins. I too am in this sensitive stage! So I’ve been trying to eat more thyroid boosting foods that Dr. Oz mentions. Mushrooms are by far the best. Although still thin, it’s thicker. Did your father’s family have women with thin hair (genetics ;-)

15 kathleen October 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

My hair falls out when my thyroid is a bit on the manic side and use it as an indicator to keep my thyroid levels in check. Tons of my hair fell out at 12 weeks post-birth, but I’ve read that is common.

16 Catherine October 19, 2012 at 9:21 am

JUST had this exact same conversation, because it’s been looking like a furry animal was murdered in my tub after every shower since July, and my hairdresser also suggested the kerastase supplements. Not sure if it’s the answer…my husband uses them and they don’t really seem to be doing all that much (some days he claims it’s making it worse). Of course, it may work better for this particular kind of hair loss vs. male hair loss…
If you figure out how to fix this, please share! My plumber will thank you.
Raleigh-Elizabeth: that happened to me in the first trimester. I think the cause is the same, namely changes in hormone levels.

17 Sorcika October 19, 2012 at 9:25 am

Dear Gabrielle, go to the pharmacie nearest to La Cressionnière and ask for Lobamine Cystéine. If you are not breastfeeding, you can use it and it will do wonders.

18 Sandra Gonzales October 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

This is a great read and a real eye opener:

Hormones, Health, and Happiness: A Natural Medical Formula for Rediscovering Youth with Bioidentical Hormones by Steven F. Hotze

19 Sara October 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

You are so beautiful, I bet you could even make bald look lovely! :)

20 Ann October 19, 2012 at 9:49 am

That happened to me and it’s happening to a friend of mine too right now and she is really worried. I started taking Trader Joe’s nail and hair supplement. I don’t take it every day. I take it maybe once a week. I have noticed a difference. You want to check with your Dr. first before taking a supplement. I’m sure you know this. Stress can be a factor too. That’s what is causing my friend’s fallout.

21 val October 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’m loving this thread and all the experiences and great suggestions from everyone. Here’s my two cents: I have 6 kids, with 3 girls first, and then 3 boys. My most devastating hair loss was after my 3rd daughter. My grandmother recommended taking copper and zinc supplements, and because I was desperate, I tried it and they worked — within 6 weeks my hair loss was back to normal, and I was getting lots of great new growth.

I anticipated that I’d have the same level of hair loss after each successive pregnancy, but I really didn’t. My hair was even more beautiful during the pregnancies with my boys, and then after they were born, I had a more “normal” hair loss. After #6, my third boy in a row was born, I was really surprised at how long my hair stayed fabulous after his birth. Because of this pattern, I suspect that my hair loss had more to do with my hormonal levels — and specifically my testosterone levels. I knew each time I was carrying a boy because it affected ALL of my hair growth, down to my leg hair… It was lots thicker and grew much faster during my boy pregnancies.

22 charma July 12, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Hi val what copper and zinc supplements did u take?

23 Stephanie October 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

Off-topic, but WHERE did you find that fabulous dress? I must own one!

24 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux October 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

Great topic…I too experienced hair loss – and I’m still getting hair loss, yes not as much as post-baby but I do think at times it more than normal- I’m in my 40′s and my last child was born 5 years ago. It definitely feel like my hair is thinner…I do think this is age related. I would love to know if the vitamins work.

25 Rachel Schindler October 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

My Mom and her sister both have thinning hair on the tops of their heads. since I am getting older, I have been freaked out about this problem. I recently purchased Hair Essentials by Natural Well I will let you know in about 6 weeks if I see a difference in my hair (especially the top of my head, haha) My problem is that I am so forgetful with taking pills. Do you have that problem?

26 Linda October 19, 2012 at 10:29 am

I’d like to be sympathetic. Heaven knows my thin hair fell out in fistfulls. But I am temporarily unable to kibitz with you about this – distracted by how insanely gorgeous you were during you sixth pregnancy. Give me a few moments to muster empathy while overcoming jealousy…

27 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag October 19, 2012 at 10:34 am

Ah….this might be part of the aging process — my daughter is 6 now and my hair has never been the same since pregnancy — I’m 42 now and things are definitely thinning up there. My hair stylist has suggested some hair vitamins and swears they work. My mom had 4 pregnancies and said her hair diminished in overall thickness with each pregnancy….I have noticed that when I up my calcium intake, I seem to have less shedding.

28 Marlena October 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

I had massive hair loss after I stopped making milk. It was devastating, but I’m glad I knew it would come back. I had the weird baby hairline, too.

29 Alexandra October 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

You should have your thyroid levels checked. An not just basic blood work but full thyroid panel. Hair falling out was my first sign of thyroid issues and is till today when I need meds adjustment.
Good luck.

30 barbara wendell October 19, 2012 at 11:34 am

Such a gorgeous picture of you! (I like your hair curly, too.)
I am a 70 year old grandmother who loves your blog. I too recommend having your thyroid functions checked. In addition to being sensitive to the cold, I experienced drying and loss of hair.
Your TSH should be between .3 and 3.0 See Mary Shomon’s blog on

31 Becky October 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Good advice, I was going to say the exact same thing! I felt like I was developing male-pattern baldness after my kiddos. Post-pregnancy adjustments can throw your thyroid temporarily out of whack, and sometimes it’s permanent. If it is your thyroid, it’s an easy fix. I’m on a fairly low dose of thyroid replacement hormone and after the first month of adjusting to the meds (which was miserable, for some reason) I feel a million times better, and my hair is coming back. :)

32 Laura October 19, 2012 at 11:31 am

The same thing always happens to me after giving birth, but after my daughter’s birth it kept falling out for months and months afterward. Come to find out I was having postpartum thyroid issues… Maybe get your thyroid levels checked just to be safe :)

33 Angela Lee October 19, 2012 at 11:44 am

Before you freak out, I would wait a full year. cause hair can fall out up to a year post partum.

34 Kate October 19, 2012 at 11:56 am

I agree with Angela. Don’t start freaking yet. I have a friend (who has never had a baby BTW) start losing her hair at 30. Her doctor started giving her steroid injections (I have no idea what they were but he WAS a medical doctor! So I’m assuming he knew what he was talking about) right into her scalp and voila! Her hair grew right back. Hang in there, sistah!

35 Heather Balliet October 19, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thank you so much for sharing, I just had my fourth a few months ago and will have to take your advice!

36 Ruta October 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Definitely get your thyroid checked! There is a particular type of hypothyroidism that is associated with the postpartum period… better safe than sorry!

37 Melissa L. October 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

First and foremost, have your thyroid checked. Also, is a invaluable resource for all things hormonal. Blessings to you!

38 Tiff October 19, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I have been debating writing to you to ask readers about hair loss! I lost over half my hair in one month; it stopped about the same time I became pregnant. I am terrified of the post-delivery loss! I’d love any suggestions any one has. I have had my thyroid checked already.

I never hear women talk about this. When I looked up wigs on Amazon, I felt like I must be a freak. Who wears wigs?! And then I saw the hundreds of reviews on wigs and I realized–women are wearing these. But no one talks about it.
I was afraid to sound vain, but hair has such an effect on one’s confidence. I refuse to feel un-beautiful. I don’t mind finding new ways to feel beautiful; life is about change. But how I feel affects how I act and treat others. I reach out more often when I feel good about myself.

So any advice on making the most of thin hair, hair pieces, wigs, whatever–bring it on!

39 jo October 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm

tiff, i am so glad you wrote this comment! i’ve been losing tons of hair too and thinking about hairpieces and things like that but i thought, that’s vain! i should just deal with it! but what you said is so true, “how i feel affects how i act and treat others. i reach out more often when i feel good about myself.” that is the gospel truth! thanks for writing it.

40 Colleen October 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I never comment, but with this post, I couldn’t help it… I second the comments about having your thyroid checked. My youngest daughter is 10 months old and my thyroid is currently overactive, but I did experience more post-baby hair loss this time around than what I would consider normal. The doctors are taking a “wait and see” approach because it seems that it takes some thyroids longer to readjust to the postpartum experience than others. It’s worth having the thyroid blood panels done to check.

41 Windy October 19, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I just talked to my doctor about this issue today. I’m almost two years post-partum. I had the typical hair loss after second baby and then again after stopping breast-feeding. But, now going through it again now. Doctor definitely thinks it is related to birth control pills, which are new. Switching things up to see if it makes a difference and then going to look into thyroid issues. My pretty unscientific opinion is vitamins for hair and nails can have a negligible effect.

42 leslie October 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm

i know some women who used it {i guess it’s a very european product:)} and it helped a lot.
i had MAJOR hair-loss after my pregnancies. it’s been horrible for me and my stylist was very supportive. i’m a huge fan of all things natural, so i used that one:

and seriously? best thing EVER.
i hope that your hair decides to grow again; mine actually did after 4 years of falling out:)

all the best

43 Tiff October 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Thank you!! So nice to hear about some natural options. I have to be very careful because of chemical sensitivites….

44 the emily October 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm

My sister has alopecia and lost all of her hair at 17. It regrew some during her four pregnancies and she was able to go without a wig for probably 7 or 8 years, but it’s all gone again now. She has some really cute wigs, but the hardest part for her is the no eyebrows or eyelashes. She had her eyebrows tattooed a few years ago because sometimes her drawn-in pencil eyebrows would get partially wiped off and she would look like Uncle Leo with the angry eyebrows! She did cortisone shots in her scalp that sometimes worked, but I’ve never heard of those vitamins–though I love Kerastase products, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear they work.

45 Mira October 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I also encourage you to have your thyroid checked. When my hair kept falling out after the normal post-baby hair loss phase, my OB sent me to the lab and it turned out I had hypothyroidism. Once I started taking thyroid pills, my hair went back to normal. It’s a very common condition and often starts in the post-partum period.

46 Amy Hackworth October 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Great post and comments! I’m in the same boat of hair loss, except unrelated to pregnancy….so I’m especially interested in these vitamins and all the other great suggestions!

47 Corinne October 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

You look SO beautiful in this photo, as always!

My hair fell out by the handfuls after each of my preganancies, and I didn’t have much to begin with! Do you know if one can take that while nursing?

48 Caroline October 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Gabrielle we need to talk about that !

49 hotpaprika October 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Oh I share your pain. Even if my hair loss wasn’t due to pregnancy but mosty to stress and perhaps to genetics. My first action was the Kerastase programme as well, and I did see an improvement, if anything else in that the shedding decreased a little. But I don’t know if it was placebo or not. I trully don’t. What I definitely, absolutely know and I’m 100% certain about it, is that I noticed an immediate improvement once I ditched the SLS shampoos. If I have an advise for any woman (hey, any man too!), is to use a totally natural shampoo, and be very careful about the brands that claim they are natural but are not in reality. What also helps is massaging an oil of your choice (best is Jojoba and olive oil) with Rosemary essential oil. It is proven that Rosemary stimulates the blood circulation in the scalp.

I wish you all the best, and most of all be patient. It’s not easy I know. But the change will be slow and stress won’t do any good. Supplements help as well IMO. Just be sure to check the ingredients yourself with a mini-search on the web, don’t just rely on recommendations. It’s always better to know *why* something works.

Oh! I’m sending everyone virtual hugs because I know first hand how frustrating this is. But hey, I did see a difference after 6 months or so, I’m sure all you ladies will too :) xo

50 Michelle October 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I haven’t read all the above comments so apologies if someone has already mentioned it but Phylia de M is astonishing. Hair literally looks and feels thicker and softer from day 1 and then just gets better and better. It’s the only hair product I have ever been blown away by. I get mine from Victoria Health (with whom I have no connection but as a customer):
Best regards

51 margaux October 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm

i’m having the same issue. i have a 6 month old, and the volume of hair in the drain whenever i wash is OUTRAGEOUS. i’ve heard that a combination of Viviscal and biotin supplements do the trick beautifully. i was all ready to order both from, but then discovered that you can’t take either while breastfeeding, so i will have to wait until i wean to give it a shot. in the meantime, dry shampoo has become my best friend. it gives my thinning hair volume at least!

52 Anna October 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I definitely lost a lot of hair after both pregnancies, though I think it was worse after my son (first). I feel like it never came back quite how it was. It’s thinner, and has less red in it. The texture is different, too! It’s not as curly. Not straight, unfortunately, just somewhere in between. I miss my curls. Maybe they will come back someday?

53 Kari October 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

At least we have the option of wigs! My grandpa’s wife wears them all the time. Each time I see her, she has a new ‘do. It’s kind of fun, but expensive. She even keeps up her own hair so she feels ok when she’s at home and without a wig! That includes coloring it. I think that’s crazy, but its her money!

54 Tina C October 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I’m another one advising you to get your thyroid levels checked. After my third child was born I had what I thought was my “normal” post-baby hair fall-out, but it just never seemed to end and my hair started to really look thinner. After a check-up and full-blood work up, I found out that I had Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism. (This diagnosis also gave an answer to a lot of my other symptoms — symptoms that I feel women of new babies and/or other children may have a tendency to shrug off as just typical tiredness, etc.) I started taking Synthroid, but the hair loss has not ceased. I found out that Synthroid itself can cause hair loss. Great, right? I still have a lot of hair (thankfully I started out with pretty thick hair), but I feel like it’s shedding all day every day — i.e. not normal. My hairstylist told me to try taking biotin and evening primrose oil. I’ve also heard many other people recommend this, too. Hope this helps a little. Love your blog.

55 Elizabeth October 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’m not a mom yet, but I’ve always struggled with mysterious bouts of hair loss in cycles I can’t seem to pin to any sort of pattern or antecedent. My hair person noticed that it took 20 months for my hair to grow from a pixie cut to a bob, and then told me that EVERY hair stylist she knows takes prenatal vitamins, as they promote hair and nail growth – I think she was shocked by how little growth I had. My guess is they’re similar to the supplements you’re on but cheaper and easier to find. My hair started growing like it never had before, but the bloating made me stop taking them after a while. Friends and family comment all the time on how long and healthy my hair is now, which are comments I’m totally unfamiliar with!

56 lula October 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I have massive hair loss. It’s so much more traumatic than I ever expected. (which is slightly embarrassing because it’s ‘just’ hair but on the other hand it’s my HAIR!) It’s time to go see a doctor, low iron, thyroid issues and a few other problems can cause hair loss. If you have these problems it’s better to know about it! Sadly, my hair loss is not fixable, will get progressively more severe and wigs are becoming a real option that I have to consider. Vitamins can’t hurt, I take them to keep the optimism alive! ;D Best wishes! (I also recommend NOT looking at it constantly especially late at night, everything always feels worse at 3am.)

57 Lisa | Happy By October 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I don’t have personal experience with drastic hair fall, but yesterday I heard someone in Tv commenting another lady’s fuller and more beautiful hair and she said “She is taking hair vitamins, I know this from her pharmacy lady”. First half of the sentence was true and second half maybe was a joke but vitamins might actually be good. By the way, your hair in this picture is gorgeous and your style rocks :)
Have a nice weekend all of you, beautiful family!

58 Laura October 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Off topic, but do you speak French or English with your hairdresser? I just think it’s fascinating to hear about navigating through the little details of life in another language.

59 Yanira October 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Try Dr Miracles’ Intensive Healing Oil. It worked for me.

60 Anne October 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I’ve had a similar experience post-baby #2 (and no thryoid things going on). My super natural/organic stylists thinks it is “imbalances” and swears that doing a shot of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar a day will balance things out. But, I have to admit, I just haven’t had the stomach to try it. But, it’s interesting to read some of these other suggestions.

Keep us posted on what you find! Glad you posted this.

61 Maria October 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I wouldn’t recommend Rogaine unless nothing else works for 6 months to a year. (Because of the messy application + the fact that any hair regrowth will fall out if you stop using the product.) Rosemary / jojoba / tea tree / Waleda etc oils probably won’t make a difference on their own, and are messy. Hair is very much an inside job. Yes, your thyroid / hormones are probably a bit off, but TSH levels may still appear normal, so an endocrinologist may or may not prescribe anything.

Things I’ve read about — and about to start taking them all:
— horsetail
— biotin — can add up to 5,000 mg
— fatty acids — flax seed oil etc — 6-9 caps
— iron
— zinc
— shen min is the most often used natural ingredient. It’s a Chinese herb. Comes in caps and topical serum that dries into the hair pretty quickly (not required, but helps). Shen min is a DHT-testosterone blocker. That’s the bad testosterone that makes hair fall out.
— there are also various hair-oriented multivitamins, but they’re so crammed with ingredients that I don’t know how much of them gets absorbed. They say you only absorb 10% of a multivitamin. I’ll steer clear of those, but you could take them…
— Kali Phos — a homeopathic remedy
— I’ll order the Phylia de M products.

A detox would be very helpful, since the average person’s intestines are a bit clogged & aren’t absorbing nutrients properly. I’m thinking of doing regular colonics + liver flushes. The thyroid depends on the health of the colon, liver & adrenals (unfortunately…) Keeping those in shape makes for a happy thyroid.

I’d also recommend Donna Eden’s book Energy Medicine for Women, which teaches you how to balance your hormones using your own hands. Studying this now.

Good luck & thank you so much for posting about this!

62 Anne October 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I’m a nurse practitioner and have seen this many times. Have your iron checked or else just start on ferrous sulfate 325 mg three times a day (or as tolerated). iron deficiency is a very common cause of hair loss..

63 Iren October 20, 2012 at 12:19 am

Hi Gabrielle

I also wanted to say, like Anne just did, that also iron can cause hair loss and after six children, this could also be a topic…

I have a problem with iron deficiency and need infusions every year (!), but my hair problems were because of that. ( and make sure that the ferritin is over 50 and not 23, like the conservative doctors would say. I found out, that I need a ferritin of at least 80. If not, my hair starts to fall out…)

Good luck!
love, iren

64 Kelly October 20, 2012 at 2:20 am

I just have to add to this conversation because for the first time in my life I’m losing mass amounts of hair right now, and I’m seeking solutions…for me I’ve decided its related to my adrenal fatigue as I’m not pregnant or been recently. Adrenal Fatigue “Adrenal fatigue is produced when your adrenal glands cannot adequately meet the demands of stress” is totally where I’m at and I fit many of the symptoms which include fatigue, lower sex drive, hairloss, etc. so I’m spending more time doing relaxing things such as going on walks, journaling, reading, getting massages, being religious about what goes into my body to nourish myself, loading up on natural health remedies (**basil, peppermint, lavender, citrus), and trying to keep a better sleep schedule which is probably the hardest of it for me. All of the activities to heal are enjoyable so I feel good about engaging in them! :) I’m guessing that I’m not the only one of your readers who has this, it affects a lot of women and they never consider it. Best of luck with the journey! xo

65 Amy Jo Schenewark October 20, 2012 at 6:03 am

P.S. to #10…make sure you’re using iodine table salt…sea salt does not have iodine and that is very important for thyroid function.

66 kpriss October 20, 2012 at 7:49 am

Wow. Beautiful. As always!

I had a weird regrowth period after each of our four kids but now it’s really getting weird. Because, like you, we too have called it a Full House and stopped. Which never happened before, during the re-growth period, I usually entered the “pregnancy” hair period. That wonderful, fairy – tale time when my hair was all shiny and never fell out (after the 4th month until 4months after birth). Now I’m sadly contemplating the radical cutting perspective because my hair looks odd, the regrowth hairline is around my ears and the rest of the hair (visibly less) is at shoulder blades level.

Monday or Tuesday it’s cutting – day. I have my scissors ready :)

As for regrowth vitamins – I don’t believe in medicating your hair. It’s a delicate balance that needs to be maintained in order to make that hair grow (nails & shiny , healthy skin & scalp etcetera). If there’s one thing I learned over the years is that sometimes, less is definitely more. Take that with a serious dose of daily happiness and magic happens!

Although I do keep my fingers crossed for all of you out there who are taking vitamins or following specific treatments for hair regrowth or re-thickening. May it all work out wonderfully for all of you! :* Bless you

Oh, and also: have a wonderful weekend!

67 Cecilia October 20, 2012 at 7:51 am

As many others have said, do check your thyroid! I started on a iodine regimen (helps the thyroid) and it has made a big difference to my sleep, my hair, and my energy levels. It is also been shown to be protective against certain cancers, especially of the reproductive organs. In addition, I starting taking MSM for an achy hip and it really makes my hair grow! I color my hair (for the grays: nothing, it seems, gets rid of that) and I have to schedule color appointments more often because the gray shows more quickly, ie, my hair is really growing.

68 Jenny also October 20, 2012 at 9:19 am

Have you stopped all hair straightening procedures? Those can be pretty harsh! I suggest letting your beautiful gorgeous curls be free and natural. You could use Baby June as your shining example! What an amazing head of hair she has.

69 Kate Blair October 20, 2012 at 9:49 am

This picture is STUNNING! I’ve never commented before – avid reader of your blog- but I felt I must tell you how truly beautiful you are, both inside and out.

70 jackie October 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hey, love your blog.
As a physician, I think you need a check up and some labs, at least to rule out hypothyroidism.
If everything else checks out, then maybe it is just that you need vitamins.

71 Ivana October 21, 2012 at 1:13 am

A mixture of warm olive oil, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon – you have to leave it for 15 minutes then rinse it off!

My mother-in-law is practicing this method from time to time and it works!!!

Greetings from Zagreb (Croatia),

72 Lucy Mitchell October 21, 2012 at 6:00 am

Ok, what I would do is take the Kerastase stuff, it sounds good, and have a good look at the ingredients to see what vitamins are in it, and then, buy these in bulk in a U.S. drugstore. I know you are in the land of amazing chemists but I have found the the generic brand of supplement you can get in America are way cheaper than Europe.

73 Karin S October 21, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Get that Thyroid checked Gabby!
I have an under active thyroid and can tell when my numbers are off when I find little “hamsters” in the shower drain. Yikes!
Good luck!

74 Rebecca Robison October 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I just wanted to share a few things that has helped my hair- grow-

First, talk to your doctor. Mine ran some blood tests. They found out that I was not getting enough vitamin D! I had to take a few months of extra, high concentrate doses of vitamin D to bring me back.

Also, coconut oil is amazing. Buy the pure, extra virgin, organic kind. Brushing the oil onto and into your scalp and hair helps amazingly. I do this 20 minutes before I shower.

Coconut oil is amazing. Coconut trees are known as the “tree of life” for their nutrient properties.

Hope that helps.

75 Charlotte October 22, 2012 at 6:49 am

I’ve recently suffered non-pregnancy related extensive hair loss, although it gradually thinned so I didn’t realise it was happening for some time. Diagnosed with a Ferritin deficiency which left me unable to hold enough iron in the body – apparently when iron levels are depleted the first place the body goes to look for more is the hair, I had no idea! – I’ve been taking a liquid iron supplement, Floradix, for several months and have seen a HUGE difference.

My hair is growing fast and thick and my hairdresser is amazed at the change. I’ve also been eating iron-rich food, so lots of red meat but even more importantly, seafood, particularly prawns as they are even more iron-rich than red meat. I’m using Moroccan hair oil and Phyto Secret de Nuit on my hair as well, both have made it feel much stronger.

I can’t recommend eating and taking extra iron highly enough – I feel altogether brighter, more alert and just better and it really is making my hair grow!

76 Deborah Beau October 22, 2012 at 9:14 am

I am going to read each and every comment later tonight. I have lost a lot of hair too and hate it. I had Miles when I was 40 and it’s never really been the same since . At 46 , I’m putting it down to pre-menopause and praying it will improve. Thanks for the Kerastase tip, I am taking regular vitamins and eat really healthly, but as a vegetarian, I always have done. My gynecologist here in France said it could be anemia, which was often overlooked as a cause of hair loss in women.
Thanks for broaching a difficult topic, lots of people are clearly affected and interested!

77 Alecia October 22, 2012 at 9:52 am

Another post I feel like I could have written! My youngest is 2.5 years old now and I am STILL losing hair! I went to my doctor about it a year ago and was told everything was normal and they couldn’t give me any answers. Luckily, I have pretty thick hair, so it’s not obvious to most people except myself, but it’s practically a running joke among my husband and kids that they find my hair everywhere! And don’t even get me started on what the drain looks like after showers.

I’d never considered it to be a nutrition thing, but I am going to look into vitamins and supplements to see if that helps. I’m borderline anemic, so maybe that’s something that could be affecting it too.

78 kristi October 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

thank you for this. i’m having the same issue. i’m on it!!

79 courtney October 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I have a ton of hair. Literally. It all fell out with Baby #1, and it took a good 18 months for it to return to normal.

I had baby #2 last November, and went through the normal (for me) three months of hair falling out. Then it got really thick and long again, then I chopped it off about 6 weeks ago. But……now it’s falling out again! What gives? Not sure what is going on, but thank goodness I still have so much hair that when I tell people I am losing hair, they look at me like I’m crazy. But if it keeps up I will be worried!

80 Makayla Sampson October 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Four things come to mind.

1. It could be caused by stress which can cause hair loss.
2. You possibly could need more protein in your diet.
3. Also, as someone else suggested, thyroid problems as well as anemia can cause hair loss, I would schedule a Dr’s visit to get those checked.
4. Try a vitamin that is for hair, nails, and skin. This could help.

81 Andrera October 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’ve had the same issue after 4 pregnancies. I’ve had my thyroid checked and I’m sure I don’t get enough sleep so that might contribute. However, my doctor suggested I take Biotin and it worked SO quickly! Perhaps it would work for you too. She says studies have shown it helps but they don’t know why. You should be able to get it at any supplement store.

82 Béa October 23, 2012 at 1:05 am

Have you tried Keratineforte (sold in parapharmacies in France)?
I’m taking it at season changes and after stressful/tiring episodes, when I notice losing slightly more hair. Maybe not the same situation but worth trying.

And while commenting, something completely different….
Have your kids read Les Contes de La Rue Broca?
A must read in France!
Bon courage!

83 Béa October 23, 2012 at 1:12 am

Here is the link:

Otherwise I’ve had some results with
But to be honest I think it was more the fulness that it helps and fighting hair loss.

And a shampoo I like (although the smell is to ‘men’ for me and I can’t tell if it works…since I’m taking it with Keratine Forte)

84 Béa October 23, 2012 at 1:14 am

oops, read ‘it was more the fullness that it helped, and not particularly fighting the hair loss’

85 ping October 23, 2012 at 2:13 am

hi, i got 2yrs.4months & 9months girls, both occassion i got hair loss when they about 5 or 6months baby. My first girl i did not when to G.P. so she loose her hair almost the same time as mine; now with my 2nd girl her pedia suggest that i consult a General Practice doctor and he did complete blood test for me, especially about thyroid and zinc. . . My blood test come out that i am low in Zinc and vit.D so the doctor ask me to take supplement for that. i still falling hair, but less alarming than before and i got that weird looking new hair growth too. and i am happy the my 2nd girl did not loose her hair, so she got this long nice or wild hair with curls… i guess the supplement help. and i ask my OBgyne too and she said its normal if you are breastfeeding because of the hormones.. .

i hope it give some info based on my expereince. Take Care all =)

86 sunny October 23, 2012 at 8:59 am

I work with teens at church and one teen suddenly began having problems with hair loss (and freaked out, understandably). Turns out she needed to eat gluten free – and that has taken care of her hair loss problem.

87 Heather W. October 23, 2012 at 10:46 am

You need to try a biotin supplement. It’s natural and it doesn’t cost anything close to how much the ones you are taking cost.

88 Heather October 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I’ve been having hair loss WITHOUT the benefit of a new baby and my doc finally determined it was due to “low ferritin,” which is something to do with iron. He said that even if you have “normal” ferritin levels in your blood, you need the number to be over 120 for optimal hair growth, and my ferritin level was 20 (still within the “normal” range but much too low for optimal hair growth). So he put me on an OTC iron supplement and after taking it regularly I noticed a huge change for the better – no more scary balls of hair in the drain and hair falling out all over the place. Not sure if the Kerastase supplements have iron in them… From reading the comments it sounds like hair loss can be due to pretty much anything! It is pretty scary, though, isn’t it?

89 TN October 24, 2012 at 7:23 am

YES! I never noticed it with my first child (maybe because we had carpeting) but with my second here in France YES! After the birth because we have hardwood flooring I just noticed it everywhere. I was complaining about it on FB when finally a friend told me it was normal from giving birth. I guess what happens is normally your hair sheds but only 20% at a time. But after birth it is a much higher %. But it should grow back. I did have the repair man come to look at the dryer because I was getting an awful smell turns out it was all my hair stuck in it! Finally after 3 months postpartum it stopped falling out. I am 1 yr postpartum and the little hairs that started to come back are about 1-2 inches. Its a real pain with flyaway’s all the time.

90 olivia October 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm

my hair was awesome during both of my pregnancies- then the after-baby hair loss happened- actually it’s still happening. my youngest is just 6 months. plus i’m such a worry mom and i stress over every little cough from my two littles- yoga has helped with the stress which i know adds to my hair problems- am also taking a prenatal and trying to eat at least 3 pieces of red meat a week (hard for me cause i don’t love meat). my body loves the protein though and so does my hair. i love Kerastase but i didn’t know there was a hair supplement. i think it sounds awesome- can’t wait to hear if it works- i’m on board too if it does.

91 Sam November 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm

here’s a good article on vitamins:,0,2875260.column

A humorous critique on how vitamins are portrayed as practically divine in ads, but anyone here would know that a single vitamin can’t keep us from feeling exhausted all the time. Enjoy!

92 Ashley February 13, 2013 at 8:01 am

Not personally, but a friend of mine had a son last summer. Soon after her hair was falling out and breaking off. She took Hair Formula 37 vitamins. These are pretty much like all-in-one supplements because they have vitamins, minerals, and amino acids for keratin.

93 Kate June 28, 2013 at 9:37 pm

If anyone has stress related hair loss my doctor prescribed vitamin B6 supplements and they worked wonderfully.

94 cristina March 3, 2014 at 10:04 am

Listen.. I gave birth to my second beautiful child Valerie 2 months ago and also had my placenta encapsulated – did it myself :)

I actually had no issues with hair falling out while taking my pills. my first child was different, My hair was falling out like crazy. but i hadn’t come across placenta encapsulation either.
After pregnancy i was litterally waiting for my hair to fall out but never did.
anyways because i had chosen to encapsulate my placenta i was up to par with all nutrients. my doctors even said that my test results for vitamins/nutrients were sky rocket high.
My hair was and still is soo beautiful and thick and just screams life. i have fine hair so i know what its like to have hair fall out or just be dried and whatnot.

think about – its a good research – PLACENTA ENCAPSULATION

95 Elizabeth November 23, 2014 at 6:56 am

Did you ever see positive results from taking the supplements?