Geek Chic

October 12, 2012

By Raleigh-Elizabeth.

Maybe it’s the piles of school work or an instinctual desire to spend cooler days curled up with a good book, but lately, I am loving the look of cute girls in nerdy glasses. They’re schoolish. They’re stylish. And both spec and wearer are the epitome of cool.

The thick black frames have been around forever, and we’ve all seen them on celebs like Zooey Deschanel and Demi Moore. Lately, even the less fashion-forward have been sporting them, like New York’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg. And why not? Many of us have to wear glasses every day. If we’re going to have to sport frames, they might as well be fashion statements.

What do you think? Have you tried this look? And do nerd glasses make you feel smarter…or sexier?

Pretty sight found here.

P.S. — My husband’s military issue glasses (long known as BCG’s or birth control goggles!) have just undergone a major fashion rehab.  The horrible, pale brown coke-bottle frames they were long issued are now replaced by a sleek black frame. They remind me of the Warby Parker Huxley. I can’t wait to steal them for myself!

1 Eyes-on-style October 12, 2012 at 7:33 am

Bespectacled; be cool! Love the post and love the twist you give so many ideas. Keep-on-postin’.

2 Erin October 12, 2012 at 9:22 am

I wear Warby Parker Huxleys! I have them in tortoise shell and clear frames and I love feeling geek chic in them. Almost as much as I love finally being able to see.

3 raleigh-elizabeth October 12, 2012 at 11:02 am

oooooh! I have been just DYING to try clear frames. Do you love them? Do you wear them as often as the tortoise shell? I have tortoise and then a pair of bright red frames… they’re both so fun. Yay glasses!

4 Erin October 15, 2012 at 8:29 am

I LOVE them in Clear frames. I don’t know if they still make them or if it was a limited edition deal, but if you can snag a pair, I’d recommend it! I’d say I still wear the tortoise frame more, because I wear them at work my office is fairly conservative.

5 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:35 am

Me too! I’m totally a Huxley girl. I have the tortoise frames as well, but mine are so dark they read as black.

6 Erin October 15, 2012 at 8:28 am

Mine are the same way! They read very dark, but I don’t mind. I was surprised though!

7 Jela Webb October 12, 2012 at 10:56 am

I wear a pair of nerdy specs! Booth and Bruce – the frames are a sort of smoky brown with hints of teal blue in them. Love them!

8 raleigh-elizabeth October 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

Oh Jela, that hint of teal sounds so fantastic! I bet it offsets the smoky brown brilliantly.

9 Lori B October 12, 2012 at 11:09 am

My almost-12yo daughter has been wearing glasses since she was a baby, and since she’s been choosing her own frames they’ve always been geeky :) She even started a trend on her elite hockey team last year when she got some new thick black frames- all of the girls wear uniforms to games and added 3-D glasses with the lenses popped out so they’d all look the same! Even opposing teams have a good laugh when they see them all together :)

10 Corrie Anne October 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I have nerdy warby parkers… and I love them!!

11 julia [life on churchill] October 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm

yes! I gave up contacts a few years ago and love my glasses. This last time I bought black Coach frames. When I’m feeling like a frazzled mom (and I often do!) its nice to have glasses that feel a bit like jewelry.

12 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:45 am

“its nice to have glasses that feel a bit like jewelry”

I really like that thought.

13 Koseli October 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Love this post so much. (And all of your posts!) Geek chic glasses are everywhere and I think they are super cute. It’s kind of cool that the nerdy smart girl is cool and fresh these days. It’s restoring my hope in humanity.

That being said, I only sport my specs at night. Contacts during the day. But this post has me contemplating a daring eyeglasses purchase…I do love many of the Warby Parker specs.

14 Christy@SweetandSavoring October 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I sooo want to learn to love wearing glasses! I’ve needed them since I was 8 years old, and got contacts as soon as I was allowed at age 14. Currently my one pair of eyeglasses is missing an arm so new ones are definitely in order :)
Maybe I’ll be bold enough to get a thick pair of frames soon…

15 Jenn8276 October 17, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Who IS the person in this picture??? She is seriously my doppelgänger.