Felt Collages

October 2, 2012

By Raleigh-Elizabeth.

I tend to buy lots of felt in every fantastic color whenever I happen upon it at the craft store; it’s cheap and happy, and rare is the person who hasn’t used the fabric to cut out the shape of their own hand or a choppy Valentine, right? So maybe we’ll all connect to this video of Venetian artist Jacopo Rosati creating a felt collage right before our eyes.

In a world of Photoshopped everything, isn’t it refreshing to see graphics made by hand? Each felt image takes well over two hours to make, which makes me feel better about all those Valentine hearts I labored over with safety scissors each February.

P.S. — What elementary school art project would you remake today if you had the time and supplies? Amped up shrinky-dinks and paper mache projects have my inner eight-year old begging for craft time.

{ 1 trackback }

Beware of The Black Belsnickles | doll envy
October 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm

1 Barbara October 2, 2012 at 7:25 am

Did you her that Drew Barrymore named her baby girl Olive?

2 Dale Coykendall October 2, 2012 at 8:44 am

Really fun,
loved seeing the letters drawn freehand !
thanks
Dale

3 raleigh-elizabeth October 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I thought that was so cool too, Dale!

4 Design Mom October 3, 2012 at 2:01 am

Oh my goodness! I had to rewind that part 3 times. That was amazing to watch.

5 Megan October 2, 2012 at 9:49 am

This is great! I actually just tried out a similar technique on a poster I created for a client, but using regular old colored paper rather than felt. I’d love to keep experimenting with creating ‘physical’ posters. And how amazing is the part (:22 sec) where he free-hands the letters backwards?? I’m in awe.

6 raleigh-elizabeth October 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I have to believe that was magic. That genius surpasses my understanding.

7 Maria October 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

When I was in grade 4 we modge podged colored tissue paper on the outside of jars and then after it dried we traced the tissue scraps with black marker making it look like stained glass. It’s still my favorite craft from school.

8 raleigh-elizabeth October 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm

That sounds amazing. Have you repeated it since then? I think I may gave that a try this Christmas!

9 Maria October 2, 2012 at 12:32 pm

It’s really great! I was thinking I would do it with my 4 year old this year as Xmas presents for the grandparents!

10 raleigh-elizabeth October 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I hope it won’t lose its punch when a 31 year old does it for Christmas for her family, too! My husband’s in the military, though, and he’ll be deployed this Christmas…. I was thinking if I took your idea and added some twinkle lights, it could be some Christmas magic in Afghanistan!

11 Maria October 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm

That sounds lovely! My husband just retired after 22 years…I am all too familiar with holiday deployments. I myself was in for 9 years and was deployed over many holidays. I can tell you that little bits of beauty and tradition (especially in the desert) are a welcome treat! I’m sure he will love it! I’d love to see some pics when you’re finished!

12 Felt-Fabulous October 2, 2012 at 12:23 pm

ooh ooh. how about creating felt books. start with pre-cut felt squares (the pages!). so many different options. i’d start when my first child is born: there would be a book with a page decorated by my child on her (just because i want a daughter, i’m sure i’m having a girl even though i’ve not taken any gender tests) birthday every year; then there would also be books for each of her favorite holidays during the year (the valentine’s book, the 4th of july book, the 1st day of winter-holiday book, you get the idea). then i might actually make a 12-days-of-christmas book (what a great pick-me-upper after all the excitement of dec 25th). the possibilities are endless. i’m dizzy with excitement. now i’ve got a lot of practicing to do if i’m going to be able to even approximate Jacopo Rosati’s versatility. He Is Amazing.

13 Ann October 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I did something like this last year for a school bulletin board. I sure wish I had traced directly onto the felt instead of pinning paper on top and THEN cutting. Wow, the time I would have saved! It was so fun though. A great departure from the lap top.

14 Design Mom October 3, 2012 at 2:03 am

“A great departure from the lap top.”

I agree. I feel like we’re having a really hi-tech and low-tech moment at the same time. We love our technology, but then we need a break, so we make bread from scratch or dye fabric using vegetables or cut out felt pieces — just to get a break from the same technology that we love.

15 Ezen October 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Felt is amazing! I’ve made bookmarks and cards with them but it’s been a while. Thanks for sharing the cute video! Adding your post to my favorites on NuffnangX to remind me of my love affair with felt :P

16 Mollie Frances October 21, 2012 at 7:25 am

I love this post! This video demonstrates the process behind the product so well. If you don’t often create or make things, it’s very hard to understand why art and handmade products are so valuable.

I’m an elementary art teacher and felt and cut paper projects are so successful with the kids. It’s almost immediate gratification with the shapes and colors and it feels so good to them to create something so bold and graphic!

And thanks for trying to remember back to your favorite art projects from school- mine was a picture made from yarn pressed into soft wax.
Mollie
Thealmondflower.com
Peacockmercantiles.etsy.com

17 Joanna Howe October 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm

How fun! Making family tree school project tonight for my daughter. and thinking about using felt as i have a lot of extra craft supplies. thanks.