Ephemeral Art

October 30, 2012

By Raleigh-Elizabeth.

Before the snow comes and the leaves fade away, British land artist Richard Schilling sets off into the outdoors to make art from the natural beauty all around him. Leaves become stained glass, icicles become sculpture. These pieces only last a minute, but in that moment, they find a perfect, natural beauty.

“There is a point a sculpture reaches where it is at its most vibrant and it is then that I take the pictures, and it is often just before it completely falls apart,” Schilling said in an interview.

His creations remind me so much of growing up. Just as you become accustomed to the equipment around you, and just as you’re able to make something momentarily perfect out of it, the seasons change, you grow some more, and the cycle starts again. It’s a beautiful process, and like Schilling’s art, it’s an ephemeral one, too.

What are your favorite moments of momentary beauty? I can’t help but think of the morning dew on my windowsill, catching the light and making rainbows all over the floor, and also that first frost, when everything just sparkles.

1 Angeerah October 30, 2012 at 8:00 am

This took my breath away. Beautiful.

2 Tasha October 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

Agreed! Glorious!!!

3 Robin Troxell October 30, 2012 at 8:01 am

wow, gorgeous!

4 Jenni Bailey October 30, 2012 at 8:01 am

I love the way long hair looks when the wind lifts it up around someone’s face. I’m always on the lookout for those moments when I work on an outdoor shoot. They pass so quickly and in person aren’t really anything special but a photo of that movement frozen in time is kind of magical to me.

5 KP October 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

This is simply beautiful! The colors are out of this world! What a lovely project and endeavor! I’m also a fan of combining nature within art pieces!

6 Miss Lindsey D October 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm

how amazing gorgeous is this work and the idea behind it is equally graceful. Gorge. ous.

7 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity October 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I love those. I’ve made leaf art several times which is a lot of fun. You can see them http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.ca/2010/10/we-heart-fall.html and http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.ca/2011/10/leaf-photos-and-leaf-art.html. I also love frost on the windows, but that isn’t really me who has created it.

8 Lindsay - Shrimp Salad Circus October 30, 2012 at 12:22 pm

These pieces are all absolutely stunning! They remind me a bit of the work of Andy Goldsworthy. Lovely!

9 Jackie October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

These are beautiful! I think my favorite moments of momentary beauty are my kids. They are little now but it seems with each passing day they are changing and growing. I just want to hold on to certain moments forever and all I can do is take a picture.

10 Avimom October 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm

My daughter’s class in nature preschool made art like this. The teachers would wrap twine between two trees in a grid pattern and the chicken would tuck leaves and twigs and things into the grid. Sometimes overnight a spider or two would join in the fun.

11 Barbara October 31, 2012 at 3:53 am

This article has added yet another original angle to my handmade scratch cards I’m working on now. I’m going to use leafs from my lovely garden.
By the way, you can try it yourself using this guide – http://www.winnings.com/blog/fun-stuff/how-to-create-handmade-scratch-cards/10-25-2012/

12 amy c October 31, 2012 at 8:17 am

The photos are gorgeous. They showcase my favorite part of fall.