Downton Abbey Primer

October 24, 2012

By Koseli.

Are you obsessed with Downton Abbey, or are you still wondering whether you should buy in to this popular series? For those new to all things Downton, here’s a quick schooling.

It’s pronounced “down-tun” not “downtown.” Fans will correct you if you get it wrong! It’s a British period drama that takes place after the Edwardian era. Downton Abbey itself is the grand country home of the aristocratic family, the Crawleys. It’s all about British social hierarchy, the major events going on at the time — the sinking of the Titanic, World War I, Spanish Influenza epidemic, etc. — and the effect this has on the Crawley family, their servants, and their friends. Sprinkle in some surprise romance, courting angst, dark pasts, and Victorian ideals, and you have a Golden Globe award-winning drama. It’s so good! Promise me you’ll curl up with some hot chocolate and cozy socks and try out an episode?

Have you ever been addicted to any other series? Sex and the City, Lost, Mad Men, The Wire, and Breaking Bad all come to mind when I think of devoted fans. But I grew up on Masterpiece Theater, so British dramas seem to be my thing!

P.S. — Obsessed Downton fans created some funny blogs here, here, and here. Careful! I hear spoilers are on some of those links.

1 Lori H October 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm

We are obsessed with Downton Abbey and cannot wait for the 3rd season to start!

2 Mary-My Life in Scotland October 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

YES!!! So obsessed! Season 3 is amazing so far! Something shocking happened the other week and I’m still crazy over it! I’m kind of secretly {or not to secretly} happy that we get season 3 before the USA. Finally the UK’s time has come!!!

3 Ann October 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Cruel, cruel, cruel! How could you?! It’s already a terrible wait until January without a little needling from you lucky ones. Hope you enjoy it enough for us, too.

4 Koseli October 25, 2012 at 6:50 am

Hee hee!

5 Damaris October 25, 2012 at 11:20 pm

You can watch Season 3 in the US here http://www.watchseries-online.eu/ Every Sunday night my husband and I watch a new episode together of season 3. Soooo good! I love that he loves it too.

6 Lisette October 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm

My husband and I are hooked. We love Downton Abbey!

7 Carlin October 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Although we are Canadians, we are in New Zealand for 5 months and already enjoying season 3 too. What a lovely series!!

8 Koseli October 25, 2012 at 6:51 am

Luck you. It is so lovely. I look forward to Season 3 with all my heart.

9 martha October 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I can’t believe there are still people who haven’t seen it, Downton has been so popular for a couple years now! It is on Netflix instant play or Amazon if anyone needs to catch up :) It’s very funny, especially when they slip in little phrases that would not have been used in that era.

10 Carla October 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I have been wanting to watch this for so long! It sounds like it would be right up my alley. Unfortunately I cannot find it in Canada. If anyone knows where you can watch it please let me know. (For the record, the Canadian version of Netflix is different from the US).

11 allysha October 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Have you seen the twitter account for Lady Mary’s Eyebrows? Hysterical.

12 Dee October 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm

O’Brien’s bangs have one too!

13 Koseli October 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

Those are hilarious. #browsapalooza People are so funny on the internets. I love what super fans come up with.

14 Erin S October 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm

LOVE this show! I’ve been watching some of Season 3 online…but if you haven’t watched any of it yet be careful clicking on the links above. There may have been a few spoilers!

15 karen October 25, 2012 at 7:58 am

I know. I clicked on the links and now I’m so bummed.

16 Dee October 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm

What is it about British drama that’s so fantastic? I don’t know, but I love them all. I love Downton! Can’t wait for Season 3 to return. In the meantime, I’m watching Upstairs, Downstairs and Call the Midwife on PBS. I’m also a Sherlock addict.

17 Koseli October 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

Yes, I love Sherlock as well. It’s brilliant and beautiful and scary.

18 RebeccaNYC October 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm

“are you still wondering whether you should buy in to this popular series” Fortunately this on PBS, so no one needs to buy anything…unless one wants to make a pledge, which I would highly recommend.

19 Christy@SweetandSavoring October 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Thanks for those links!

I’m in love with the show, but I just can’t seem to get my husband on board. He does contend, however, that it’s of a higher caliber than “Dr. Quinn” (just rewatched the whole series! :).

Haven’t seen any of Downton’s third season yet and can’t wait to see what happens with Mary and Matthew! Or Bates and Anna, for that matter…

20 Koseli October 25, 2012 at 6:56 am

I know! The suspense!

21 Sonya October 24, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I’m a Sex and the City fan, always and forever. Seinfeld is another favorite of mine. I own them on dvd and will not hesitate to watch them if I catch them on tv as well, even though I have seen them 1,000 times. That said, my coworkers are really into Downton and we all have similar tv tastes, so I think that will actually be my next show to get started on!

22 Koseli October 25, 2012 at 6:59 am

I have never seen Sex and the City, though I have eaten banana cream pudding and gluten free chocolate cake at Magnolia Bakery many times. :) I love Felicity, The Office, and Parenthood. I was also a huge fan of Friday Night Lights, though I was late to that game. I also love Little Dorritt, BBC’s North and South, and Wives and Daughters. So, so good.

23 Anneliese October 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Oh I love it! I CAN’T WAIT for the next season!

24 Lili October 25, 2012 at 4:55 am

I’m still addicted to Gilmore Girls, a lot of BBC series and, of course, Downton Abbey! It’s a classic and I love movies and series about the old times. It’s lovely, charming and enchanted!

25 Kat October 25, 2012 at 6:18 am

You should come and visit – the setting is only an hour’s drive from the ferry at Portsmouth…

26 Angeerah October 25, 2012 at 7:15 am

I am obsessed! I started watching season 1 on my iPad in the midst of selling and buying houses and now that I am settled, I need to finish it! I love this period in all forms: books, movies, and television. I can’t get enough of it!

I did love Sex and the City and I am seriously addicted to Mad Men. Also, I can’t miss Revenge. I know it’s like an evening soap opera but I can’t wait for Sunday nights!

27 Sandra Gonzales October 25, 2012 at 7:46 am

I seriously love Downton Abbey. Just wish we didn’t have to wait so long.

28 Martha October 25, 2012 at 8:30 am

So, I have been hearing rumors that if you like them on facebook you are linked to a site where you can start watching season 3. I haven’t tested this, but if you are dying to it see it, it might be worth a try.

29 nancypantsgirl October 25, 2012 at 11:56 am

If you google “Downton Abbey 3×01 putlocker” you will find it. You will need to change 01 to 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 depending on which episode you are looking for. You will have to click “continue as free user” and then you do have to suffer with an occasional popup ad. (And fair warning… some of them might be unsavory.) Clear your cache when you’re done watching it. I’m all caught up with the Brits. :)

30 nancypantsgirl October 25, 2012 at 8:39 am

I love it. I just watched season 3, episode 6 last night. I’m all caught up with the Brits!

31 Koseli October 31, 2012 at 7:47 am

Lucky. Can’t wait!

32 Sarah October 25, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m gonna try it! We have NetFlix on demand and I decided it’s time to give it a look-see… We are obsessed with Game of Thrones – the highest quality trash tv out there! It’s a very (VERY) guilty pleasure, but really entertaining & well planned (I love back-story and this series is full of it). :)

33 Erin October 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Sold! Adding to Netflix cue now.

34 Koseli October 31, 2012 at 7:46 am

Yay!

35 Annie October 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Watch out American viewers! Those links have spoilers!

36 Sasha Peterson November 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I was hearing about this downtown abbey so often – I was beginning to think it was spreading like an addictive drug… And then I partook. Oh, be still my heart. The love triangles, fashions, servant banter… It is more luscious than I ever thought it would.