Do I Really Need A…Crock Pot?

October 9, 2012

By Raleigh-Elizabeth.

Fall always seems to signal that annual flood of crock pot recipes, right? Seemingly mouth-watering, amazing displays of 12 unattentive hours that lead you straight to the land of the culinary gourmand. Your family will praise you! Your guests will hail you for your cooking genius for years to come! You are a domestic goddess! And all thanks to your handy-dandy electric slow cooker.

It helps you make hot dogs for a crowd! A delicious bread pudding! A whole chicken! Wait. Ten hours to cook a chicken?

I have a crock pot. I’ve long thought I absolutely had to have it. I would haul the space-hogging monster out of the cupboard every Fall to make chili, a fairly debased coq au vin, all manner of casseroley items, and a vast array of soups. If you’re like me, you like dishes that are extremely tasty. You really like dishes that are extremely tasty without being extremely time consuming. And you adore anything that helps you make those dishes and also fits in your kitchen, which is most likely tight on space already because of all the other kitchen electrics you’ve been told you absolutely have to have.

Secret: Your crock pot isn’t one of them.

I discovered this the day my husband convinced me we needed a french oven. You might know it as a dutch oven or stewpot, but as long as it has relatively tall sides, a tight-fitting lid, is made of cast iron or flame-proof stoneware, and can be used on the stove top, it’s all the same. He fell in love with an ancho chili short rib recipe that no, he told me, could not be made in the crock pot because it involved combination cooking: a quick browning on the stove before a slow cook in the oven.

And that’s when I discovered it: everything you can make in a crock pot you can make in a french oven. You can make it better. You can make it faster. And if you don’t have a single inch of shelf space left, you can even store it in your oven between uses. More than that, it’s given us a lot more flexibility. Now I have one tool that’s roughly the same size as my crock pot (smaller, really, in that it doesn’t have a casing and cord to deal with), in which I can make every single slow-cooker recipe I already loved, plus I can use it for roasts, artisinal bread, and every casserole that’s ever been invented.

So the next time you want to make hot dogs for a crowd, don’t waste four hours using a slow cooker. Boil water in your french oven and tell your friends to get their plates ready; those dogs will be ready in three minutes. When it comes time to make that delicious bread pudding? Get three hours back! It doesn’t need more than an hour to cook, anyway. And remember: roasting a chicken is just ten minutes prep-time when you make it in the oven, too, and you still get to walk away from it for a few hours. But it definitely doesn’t require ten.

Tell me: are you a die-hard slow cooker? Or are you as scared as I am to leave something plugged in and turned on for 12 hours when you might need to leave the house? (And if you’re living in Eastern North Carolina? I have a crock pot for sale.)

Image via Sur la Table.

P.S. — The best casserole book I’ve ever read is Being Dead is No Excuse. I’ve served these casseroles to hifalutin urbanites on raw diets who have gobbled them up like there’s no tomorrow. If you aren’t sure about casseroles, read this book. If you need a laugh, read this book. If you love casseroles and are ready for some actually inventive, impressive, foodie-casseroles, read this book. If you haven’t read this book? Read this book.

{ 1 trackback }

Happy Weekend | Pretty Morning
October 12, 2012 at 6:37 am

1 Sandra October 9, 2012 at 8:40 am

I soooo agree. I have one. I’ve used it a few times over the years but nothing that I make in it is BETTER than the conventional way. Especially stews – you NEED to brown the meat first to get that tasty carmelization for the gravy. And if you are going to do that, you might as well just pop it into a regular oven.

And any oatmeal ends up too gluey. Doesn’t take long on the stove top at all.

On kitchen appliances in general, I purged a few years ago and pared down to a kitchenaid mixmaster, a food processor, a toaster, and a blender. A French press for coffee and a manual can opener both save a TON of space.

A baker will make better bread than I ever can in a bread machine and a juicer has too many parts to wash to make it worthwhile for me.

2 raleigh-elizabeth October 9, 2012 at 8:49 am

AMEN!!! Living in nyc for eleven years really taught me how to pare down the kitchen necessities, although we opted to keep a coffee maker: my husband LOVES his coffee at the ready, and i love tea asap: the my k-cup system worked perfectly for us. he has a filter for coffee, i have a filter for tea, and taking up about 8×8″ on our counter top, we have one perfect machine that gives us both hot beverages in less than a minute. *happiness all around.*

3 Sandra October 9, 2012 at 10:12 am

Hah – living in a tiny house is what did it for me too! When we downsized from a Victorian semi to a 1930′s cottage I got rid of ALL sorts of kitchen gadgets and appliances. And I LOVE to cook!

4 Regis F October 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm

My story is sad. I was a single mom of 3 children. One year Our church had a yard sale. My kids and I were helpers and I found 2 large stew pots that were at least 20 years old. The ladies at church were very kind and gave them to me for just $ 5.00. I went through the crock pot thing and heated it!!!! I now have 8+ grandchildren . I can not tell you how much I used those pots. I had them for 18yrs. I re married and my spouse just hated them! heavy OLD POTS! NOT! I loved them. One day the handle broke. It made no difference to me I still used them. I was cleaning the cabinet and found the handle, planed to have it put back on and well my loving husband tossed it in the trash! I was just #@$%*!!!!!!! It was the larger of the two. Can not find another 20 year old pot. I have the smaller one still. So hang on to your stew pots ladies, The price of a similler one is $180.00 plus!!!!!!!!
Happy Cooking

5 t October 9, 2012 at 8:55 am

I hear what you’re saying, but I still have use for my crock pot, albeit just a few times a year. The two categories of use seem to be safe cooking while I’m out of the house and space/heat saving cooking. Last winter I used my crock pot to (safely) warm mulled wine to serve after a winter bike ride. I wanted the beverage to be ready for us the moment we walked in, and the crock pot served us well. Last July, I hosted a Christmas in July party, and used the crock pot to cook a turkey breast. It was perfect because I didn’t want to heat up the oven (it was a warm summer evening), but also I had the burners occupied with side dishes.

My frustration with the crock pot for daily use is how much I have to prepare for dinner even before I leave the house. I’m lucky to coordinate breakfast and to pack a lunch, so starting a crock pot for dinner is beyond my reach. I do love the dutch oven, but my new crush is my pressure cooker!

6 Giulia October 9, 2012 at 8:56 am

I disagree! I like that I can set something up in the morning and have it cook the 8 hours while we are at work. I know I can make a chicken in 1.5 hours in the oven and I do that on the weekend. But during the week I don’t have 1.5 hours to get dinner on the table. I would also NEVER leave the house with the dutch oven on my gas stove, way too dangerous.
So it might be large, but it comes in handy at least every two weeks at our house. And my pet-peeve? Those pretty coloured dutch ovens hanging out on stoves on all the styled kitchen shoots – often never used and just getting the way of things to be cooked.

7 my honest answer October 9, 2012 at 9:15 am

This, exactly. They do totally different jobs! You’re not regaining three hours using the oven if you are not at home – it’s costing you three hours!

8 Stella October 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

Totally feel the same way! I <3 my crockpot and would never give it up. I also have a dutch oven sitting in my closet unopened since we got it for our wedding… I can make dinner before I go to work, let it cook and when I get home after a long day, my house already smells delicious and I barely have to lift a finger. It actually saves me precious time so that we don't have to eat dinner at 8:00 if I want to make a soup or stew. Plus a crock pot is 10,000,0000,000x easier to clean than a cast iron dutch oven.

9 bdaiss October 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Yup, right with you girls. Crock pot is essential to those of us working outside the home. And I have a bunch of recipes I prep all at once on a weekend, toss in the freezer, then just pop one straight from the freezer into the crockpot, and head to work. Perfect dinner and lovely smelling home when I walk back in the door that night. And the kids aren’t biting my ankles dying from hunger while I try to cook something at lighting speed. Time, ankle, and sanity saver!

Plus – who can afford those perfectly pretty dutch ovens the world is trying to convince us we need?

10 rachel swartley October 9, 2012 at 9:00 am

Is a crock pot essential? No. But it sure does come in handy sometimes!

I use my crock pot most often for making main dishes if we’re having a potluck lunch after church. That way my chicken can cook unattended while I’m doing other things at church that morning.

Just recently I used it to keep pulled pork warm for a party I hosted on our patio. It would be hard to take my stovetop outside. ;)

And if my family’s evening schedule is tight but I still want to have a nice hot meal prepared, a crock pot CAN save time during crunch time. Dinner is ready when you walk in the door — and will stay warm for others who need to eat later.

I’m FAR from being a die-hard crock-pot user, but I’m expecting some readers to vigorously defend their crock pots! :-)

11 Amy3 October 9, 2012 at 9:02 am

You just made my day! I’ve wanted one of those Le Creuset dutch ovens (or french ovens!) for the longest time – so beautiful, so practical seeming – *but* I already had a crock pot. Now, I’ll ditch the crock pot in favor of the french oven! Thank you, thank you!

12 marie October 9, 2012 at 9:06 am

I just image-googled Crock Pot – I’ve never heard of (ok, living in Europe)…….and I stared at my screen in disbelieve. Yes, I agree: you don’t need such a thing. I love to cook. I love meat dishes cooked for hours (yes, I do sometimes leave it alone shortly). And yes, I have a Le Creuset. The perfect pot! Sometimes I wish to have it in a second size. That much i like it ! I never ever missed a thing like that electric-huge-something that just showed up as a result on my google search – wow.

13 Jimmy October 9, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love braising in those heavy dutch ovens. And they are beautiful besides, meaning I’m happy to store them out in the open despite their size. Add to it the lifetime warranty on the good brands (and they really will out-live you if you take proper care of them) and the ability to brown on the stovetop and then pop them in the over and they can’t be beat. They are pricey, but what is a couple hundred bucks spread out over a lifetime or two or three?

The one thing I prefer to make in a crock pot, and the reason I keep mine around: stock. The crock pot cooks it at a lower temperature than I can get my stove top, which really lets the chicken fat and tissue render away nicely. Also, because it doesn’t have to be on my stove, I can put it out of the way while I cook other things. Stock should cook slow for many hours, and is usually something you do ahead of time anyway, which is kind of a pain if you have it on the burner while you have other meals to prepare.

Otherwise, yes. The heavy braising pot wins every time.

14 Sally October 9, 2012 at 9:34 am

I love my slow cooker. I have Le Creuset too, and I use that when I don’t have six hours to wait, but the thing I love about my slow cooker is that it’s … slow. I have 3 small children and a work-from-home job. My late afternoon-early evening is a time of utter madness. But I come down for coffee mid morning, bung some ingredients in the slow cooker and… leave them there. I can stay in, go out, do the school run, and come dinner time, I cook some pasta or rice or whatever, and there’s dinner. It uses way less electricity than an oven, too, even if it’s on twice as long.

I use the Le Crueset at weekends when the schedule is more relaxed, but I wouldn’t be without my slow cooker.

15 Dani Lazar October 9, 2012 at 9:40 am

I have 6 different size enameled cast iron dutch ovens (we keep kosher so I have 4 for meat and 2 for soups that are vegetarian or dairy meals). They are wonderful and I use them for everything. I also have a crock pot that I received as a wedding present 20 years ago (it has little flowers on it.) For a long time I was scared of using it – I do a lot of cooking and just never understood the appeal. A number of friend told me to give it a try and I have tried it. What is it good for? Things that need to braise low and slow when you are not at home. I use it maybe twice a year because while it may be convenient, the taste is never as good as when I use my dutch ovens.

16 Meggan Hayes October 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

I actually love the crock pot. Why? Because I like to make dinner just after we have breakfast, clean the entire kitchen and then not think about it again until the evening time. I am much more energetic first thing in the am and tend to be more productive then. If I am doing meat I almost always brown or sear it first with a bunch of spices and then put it in the crock pot with whatever else and let it hang out on low for 8 hours. When the kids get home from school I am not trying to help with homework and make dinner at the same time. Win-Win! I guess it just works better for me because I am a morning person!

17 findingmagnolia October 9, 2012 at 9:49 am

I use both just like Sally, and these days I use the crock pot more than the Dutch oven; we are often out of the house until dinnertime, and I can put something in the crock pot that will be done when we arrive home. I like the flavor better in the Dutch oven, but I just don’t have the pre-dinnertime flexibility to use it most weeknights. I don’t have a huge kitchen or lots of storage, but I figured out how to store both.

18 Annie October 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

I’ve used mine a couple of times, but it’s not the great time-saver I thought it would be. So many recipes require that you cook some ingredients first before you throw everything in the pot. I don’t want to add “brown meat” to my morning routine. Maybe I’d use it more if I found more recipes that consist entirely of “throw everything in the slow cooker and let it ride” but for now I pull it out way less often than I do my Dutch oven.

19 Mary Ann October 9, 2012 at 10:01 am

Great article! Regarding the fabulous rib recipe, I could not get the part to load that tells how to buy those ribs. I have no clue. I don’t use my crock pot much, but I like to have it to keep meatballs or cheese dip warm on a buffet for a party.

20 mamalang October 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

If I was a work at home mom, I wouldn’t need my slow cooker. Between work and school, we are home for no more than 3 hours before it’s time for bed, and it’s usually less. Our meals are ready in 30-45 minutes while homework and chores are also being done, or they have to go in the crock pot. I use mine 2-3 times a week out of necessity, not out of love.

21 Alexia October 9, 2012 at 10:08 am

I don’t have a crock pot for the reasons you list here. HOWEVER, I also agree with the people who make the argument that it’s safe to cook with while you’re away and that I would not feel okay about doing that for 8 hours with my oven. (I have left things on a low temperature in the oven for an hour or two in the afternoon while I’m out and feel okay about that).

My solution to the issue of things that need longer cooking than that is to leave them at a very low temperature OVERNIGHT in the oven, which I do feel is safe. You just need to put your food in an oven hot enough to reach the point at which bacteria are killed (165 F) and not so hot that they’ll burn or cook dry. I usually choose 185-200 F, depending on what I’m cooking and how much liquid it contains. I put it in before bed at night and awaken in the morning to perfectly cooked whatever. Pop in the fridge and reheat at dinner. This has the added advantage of allowing you to degrease the sauces or stocks once they’ve been chilled.

22 Jen October 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

I am a parent of two young children and both my husband and I work outside of the home. I use my slow cooker once or twice a week. We often do not get home until 6pm, and although we cook most of our meals on the stovetop it is great to have a dinner that can be on the table in 10 minutes. It IS something I need and use. If I were home all day it might be a different story. I love my dutch oven, but it gets used on weekends!

23 Margaret October 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

Aw, I love my Crockpot! Mostly it’s because I like to be able to dump raw ingredients in around 10 am, and not think about dinner for the rest of the day. I usually avoid any of the recipes that involve searing the meat beforehand, because that seems to defeat the purpose of easy-prep, one-dish recipes. Lentil recipes are great in the Crockpot, as are chicken with sauce recipes. I wouldn’t want to be without it!

24 trina October 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

I adore my le creuset and am always scheming on how i can add to my collection. i just need a few new recipes to go along with it.

25 Kelly October 9, 2012 at 11:11 am

I agree totally with this! I just can’t figure out when or why my crock-pot is ever a more optimal option. And most of the recipes I see for chicken of meat cuts you have to cook or brown first, anyway.

I hauled out my crock-pot recipe book when our schedules got a little crazy with soccer practices recently…and still can’t figure out what to make that’s faster than regular cooking!

But to each her own…I could never figure out how to put my babies in a Bjorn carrier, either, back in the day! ;-)

26 Megan @meandwee October 9, 2012 at 11:51 am

LOL! I have a crockpot that just sits there. Everyone seems to sing praises to it, but all I see is all the prep work to get all the stuff in there! Ha! It’s officially very sad: I’m too lazy even for a crock pot recipe. sigh.

27 Beth October 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I love my Dutch Oven – and use it a lot on the weekends, but I bring my crock pot out at least once a week, especially during the fall and winter. It’s an indispensable tool for working moms. I throw everything in before I walk out the door (I only use recipes for the crock pot that do not require browning, etc. in advance), and walk in to a wonderful smelling house 8 hours later. As noted above, it’s probably not the best idea to leave a dutch oven unattended in the stove for the same amount of time.

28 Maria @ Busy as a Bee in Paris October 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I’m sold! But I do still love my crockpot! The whole chicken that becomes so tender it falls off the bones (after 5 hours on high), the pork roast that shreds so nicely for tacos, the albondigas recipe that yields tender meatballs in a hearty rice and vegetable broth, they’ve just become to intertwined into our family culture…. those delicious aromas that wait at home when we come home from church on Sundays!

29 Christina Lembo October 9, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I only use my crock pot when I know I don’t want to cook after coming home from work that night. And I only do recipes that involve dumping everything in the crock pot and turning it on. I’m not going to leave my oven on for 8 hours while I’m at work. So for me, a crock pot is actually far more essential than a dutch oven.

30 Kaely October 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I use my crock-pot at least once a week. I do love it for its ability to cook while I’m not home. Another huge benefit to me is that it doesn’t heat up my whole kitchen. We live in the deep south and I avoid turning on my oven and stove as much as possible during the hot part of the year.

So no, of course you don’t “need” it. But just like my rice cooker, I wouldn’t want to do without it unless absolutely necessary.

31 Miggy October 9, 2012 at 12:45 pm

So here’s the thing. I do like my crockpot. It’s pretty convenient and I’ve never had to have anything in there for 10 hours…I think mine is just extra hot (I learned through trial and error).

However, about a year ago we “invested” in a vintage Le Creuset. It was at a thrift shop (an upscale one as it turns out) it was in my color (aqua) and I had to have it. The price was ridiculous. They came down a little but it was still ridiculous and now we joke that it’s our 3rd child…but the only thing we’ve made in it is bread. So now you’ve got my mind thinking I need to bust it out more often… if for no other reason than dinner will definitely look prettier in the le creuset.

32 Leslie October 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Oh, I disagree heartily – I, too, am someone who works out of the house, and I love my crockpot for the freedom it gives me to prepare dinner the night before, store it in the refrigerator, put it in the crockpot in the morning, and come home to have dinner made. Family favorites are black bean soup, chicken parmesan, corned beef, baked potatoes… all ready within minutes of arriving home at night. It’s a lifesaver. And it doesn’t use much energy and isn’t unsafe at all; I have read it is like leaving a light on all day. Sure, if I were at home all day, it would be easier and faster to whip up something in the oven, but the crockpot is sure more convenient for me! I love the cookbook Make it Fast, Cook it Slow and highly recommend it to other WOHMs like me.

33 Meagan C October 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thank you for this post! I got a crock pot and a french oven at the same time- for my wedding. While I use my french oven almost daily, after 2 years I haven’t been able to figure out why I don’t like my crock pot. You have hit the nail on the head. Thank you- I think I’ll head to good will with it soon.

34 Becky October 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Crock pots are great for quick weeknight meals, when I know I’ll be exhausted after work (and with two kiddos, it’s not like I can just eat popcorn and call it dinner anymore like I used to back in the day).
In my mind, dutch ovens (is there a difference between a Dutch and a French oven?) are for luxurious, comforting meals when I have the time to actually stay home and cook.
But there’s no need to be worried about leaving the house for hours on end with a crock-pot running – just buy a lamp timer! You know, those things that people use to turn their lights on and off while they’re on vacation so burglars think someone is home. You can get them at most hardware stores.
Mine cost about $15, and I can program the time it turns on and off. I plug the crock pot into the lamp timer, the lamp timer into the outlet, and voila – the crockpot starts dinner about four hours after I leave for work and finishes about a half hour before I get home. Easy-peasy, no more overcooked pork and no worries about having an appliance run for 10 hours straight because I worked a little late.

35 heather October 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Just more proof that you read my mind before you start a blog post. Thank YOU! And btw…I look forward to your “Living with Children” posts every single week. I read them when my kids are quiet with a cup of coffee and I smile the whole time. :)

36 Sonya October 9, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I own both a Le Creuset French oven and a crock pot. I love both. I love that I can throw everything in a crock pot before work and come home and have dinner (and it smells delicious the minute I walk in the door from work. I also love using my French oven on the weekends – or when I have more time, to make more involved, time-consuming dishes. Also, my French oven is blue and it’s pretty and I have been collecting Le Creuset pieces for about 5 years now, both new and older, well-used pieces that I can find. I love the idea that I am cooking in what some other person’s grandma may have used for years to put family meals on the table.

37 Colleen October 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Timely post. I’ve just experimented with several much-touted crockpot recipes over the last couple of weeks and was very underwhelmed. Chicken just tastes gross after sitting in a crockpot all day. Plus I have a weird aversion to smelling food all day long. Now I think I need a dutch oven.

38 Kay October 10, 2012 at 3:11 am

I gave away my slow cooker and now just use a dutch oven. When I want to do long slow cooking.. for example cooking chick peas or a stew, I cook the for 10 minutes in the dutch oven and then pop the whole dutch oven into an insulated box (I use an old insulated bag lined with newspapers, and covered with a woolen blanket). I can leave it to cook for the day if I am not cooking meat, or for about 4 hours if I am. it is safe, cheap and saves energy.

39 Martha Frances October 10, 2012 at 4:01 am

Great comments! I use my crock pot less and less just because I like to have more texture to my food and I always seem to overcook everything to soup/mush in it.

40 Sarah October 10, 2012 at 7:15 am

As a busy mom I’ve always thought it was essential too. But the more my husband and I learn about GOOD cooking, the LESS we use our slow cooker! Pinterest seems to be plauged by seemingly delicious crock pot recieps, but in reality they never deliver as promised. I think it’s time for us to get a dutch oven since we essentially use our crock pot as one. You know, browning on stove etc and then using the crockpot.

41 Amy Hackworth October 11, 2012 at 12:59 am

This is one of my favorite sentences I’ve read all week, Raleigh-Elizabeth!!

“I’ve served these casseroles to hifalutin urbanites on raw diets who have gobbled them up like there’s no tomorrow.”

Perfect!

42 Ginger October 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love my 5 1/2 quart gray oval Le Cruset…..Love! Love! Love! As much as one can love an inanimate object, I love this.
There is nothing that can not be cooked in this pot! Scrambled Eggs, while the bread it getting warm and crusty in the oven, and orange marmalaide (sp) and greek feta cheese, and fresh tomato…..Can you say Yum?

43 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com October 11, 2012 at 6:20 pm

… and it’s SO much cuter to boot :)

44 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com October 11, 2012 at 6:31 pm

P.S. I’ve wanted one of these for a LONG time but we have a glass cooktop (no gass in our area BOO!), and I have never gotten a straight answer on if these work on a glass stovetop. Anyone know?

45 marie October 18, 2012 at 9:56 am

i have a glass ceramic top and it works perfectly well with a le Creuset !

46 Nicole T October 14, 2012 at 7:38 am

I totally agree that the Dutch oven is a more useful tool, but I will point out that the Lodge brand is just as pretty and long-lasting as Le Creuset and less than half the price. No need to pay the hefty price for LC now that they’re made in China. NWe’ve had ours for three years and use it regularly for soups, chili, and chicken and dumplings – love it. I’m much too scared of leaving a heating element plugged in all day to use a crock pot.

47 Alana Henry October 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I have the nicest slow cooker, you can turn it on high and it browns for you and then leave it cooking on a lower temperature the rest of the day. Works on the stove too as it comes off it’s base. I also use an incredibly heavy deep cast iron frying pan that goes into the oven and makes delicious chicken and stews. I wouldn’t think of getting rid of either of them.

48 Anne November 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Just to weigh in way late in the game, I’ve found I can use my dutch oven like a slow cooker in the set-it-and-forget-it-way. I preheat my oven to 350 or 400 degrees, depending on what I’m cooking. I do all on-stove prep, and if its a stew or casserole, heat up the sauce sauce/broth to a low simmer. I put it in the oven, and turn the oven off. When I get home 5 or six hour later it’s still above food safety temp (160 fereinheight), and every things been cooked to perfection. If I need to be gone longer I boil a pot of water on the stove, cover it, and set it in the stove too- the thermal mass slowly releases heat and keeps the temp in the oven higher for longer. Since my oven’s only on for about 20 minutes, it uses no more electricity than a normal crock pot (most crock pots are about 1200 watts/hour, my stove uses about 1,500 watts to get to temp, it’s actually a little better energy wise, may not be the same if you have a less efficient oven or more efficient pot).

49 Anne November 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm

that’s 200 wats per hour for the crock pots, not 1,200. typing mistake.