Dispatches From Ethiopia: Part 4

October 11, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Yesterday blew me away. We had a crash course in the rural medical system here in Ethiopia. And I’m writing up a post about it. But oh my. I have got to get some sleep! So instead of a report today, I thought you might like to see what Ethiopia looks like, through the viewfinder of Karen Walrond.

Friends. It is gorgeous. Gorgeous! We’ve been told this is the prettiest time of the year (sort of like the leaf-changing season is the prettiest time in New England), but it’s hard to imagine landscapes like this not looking beautiful.

I don’t know exactly what I was imagining. But it wasn’t this. And it’s been such a treat to be surrounded by this landscape. What about you? Do you picture any thing close to these images when you imagine Ethiopia? Have you ever been completely surprised by a place you’ve visited?

Thank you to all of you who have shared my Ethiopia posts on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest or your own blog. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the support.

P.S. Today, we are still in Bahir Dar, where we’ve learned about the ENGINE Program that focuses on the nutrition of women and children, including the production and consumption of diverse foods. We also took a boat ride on Lake Tana, with a tour of a Monastery. (It was amazing!)

This week, I’m in Ethiopia at the kind invitation and expense of The ONE Campaign, a nonpartisan, advocacy organization dedicated to the fight against extreme poverty and malnutrition, particularly in Africa. ONE works to convince governments to invest in smart programs that save lives. While here, I’m with a group of parenting bloggers to observe how the organizations for which ONE advocates are effecting real change in Ethiopia.

ONE doesn’t ask for your money, just your voice. If you’re moved by anything you read or see here, or on the ONE blog, please consider adding your voice, and join ONE by filling this form. Your information will remain confidential.

{ 2 trackbacks }

ONE | Dispatches From Ethiopia: Part 4
October 12, 2012 at 9:05 am
That’s A Wrap: This Week in Review | Blog con Queso
October 12, 2012 at 10:32 am

1 Tina October 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Wow, so beautiful…the landscape and the people!

2 nicole i October 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

i had no idea Ethiopia was so lush. beautiful.
blessings for your journey there.

3 julia [life on churchill] October 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm

beautiful photos! hope you’ve caught up on sleep :)

4 Christina @ Homemade Ocean October 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I adore that second photo!

5 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:52 am

Same here! I’d love it framed and hanging on my wall.

6 Chrissy Sparks (Brush Dance) October 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm

These are beautiful photos. Oh my goodness.. the second photo looks like it should be in a magazine! :)

7 Christy@SweetandSavoring October 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Gorgeous photos- I think I like the portraits best :)

8 kim October 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm

It’s beautiful, and beautiful in a completely different way than I imagined! I guess I pictured more desert than lushness – I have no idea why. And those portraits are amazing. Thanks for taking us to Ethiopia with you – ONE seems to be helping to make such a difference, and without involving you in their project I would have had no idea. Thanks ONE!

9 kim October 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I expected more desert than lushness, I guess – Ethiopia looks so beautiful. And those portraits are amazing, but especially the lady carrying the basket. Very moving.

10 Becky October 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm

My son is from Sidama, in the south. We took a 2 week pseudo-camping trip through the Omo Valley and were as surprised as you were by the brilliant colors and warm, beautiful people we met. We haven’t gone through the north yet, but I am sure we will be back with our family. Did you see Lalibela? Have you spent any time in Addis? Don’t miss the Ethnic Museum, and the amazing cathedrals, mausoleum, etc. You will be *floored* by the art!!!! Also you could stop into Tamoco Cafe, an Italian cafe from the 1920′s with the most amazing coffee ever (and I don’t normally drink coffee!!!). And have some macchiatos!! Oooh, and the spris drink! (layered smoothie with avocado, mango, and papaya juice). Now I’m dreaming of Ethiopia:).

11 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:54 am

A two-week camping trip through Ethiopia sounds like the adventure of a lifetime!

12 mom in mendon October 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm

There’s something comforting in knowing the countryside is beautiful.

13 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:55 am

I know what you mean. The beauty feels like a gift they couldn’t buy even if they had all the money in the world.

14 Joy October 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm

absolutely diggin the photos. these are incredible!

15 Azra October 12, 2012 at 6:52 am

A landscape is just beautiful and inspirational. I have never imagined pictures of Ethiopia being so lush and vivid. People are just beyond everything. So beautiful, with those big and sort of a speak for itself eyes. Thank you for sharing.

16 Sharon @ Discovering Blog October 12, 2012 at 7:59 am

I think that, if any of us were kids in the ’80′s, we were bombarded with much different images of Ethiopia. It was all about Live Aid, and starving children in Africa (specifically Ethiopia) and we were never shown any of the beauty.

These pictures that you share are just stunning, and it is wonderful to see the beauty and life in a land that is so far away.

17 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:57 am

I think you’re right on, Sharon. I’m one of those kids from the 80′s.

But what was funny to me, is that I read a bunch of essays and stories as I prepped for this trip, and nothing described the landscapes I have seen. It’s truly a stunning country.

18 Emily McKhann October 12, 2012 at 8:26 am

Wow, Gabby! The photos are breathtaking!!!!! They literally take my breath away.

19 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:55 am

I can’t believe how lucky we were to have Karen on this trip!

20 amy c October 12, 2012 at 8:35 am

Gorgeous. Simply stunning. And the beautiful people. Stunning.

21 Mom101 October 12, 2012 at 8:41 am

I could just look at these pictures all day.