Dew Drops

October 5, 2012

By Raleigh-Elizabeth.

I have to confess: I’ve always been turned off by bugs and other creepy-crawlies. With a few notable exceptions — like aesthetically pleasing colorful butterflies, blue-winged dragonflies, and the occasional bumblebee — I have always taken the presence of bugs as my cue to head straight in the other direction where things were pretty, instead.

In a new series of macro photographs, David Chambon shows just how wrong I’ve been. These magical close-ups of insects covered in rain drops and dew have me mesmerized. It’s as though they’ve bedazzled themselves for a fancy party that we might just call morning!

P.S. — What’s the last not-so-pretty thing you saw that surprised you with its beauty upon closer inspection?

{ 1 trackback }

Weekend Things —studio 'g' garden design and landscape inspiration and ideas Studio G, Garden Design & Landscape Inspiration
October 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm

1 alexis_gentry October 5, 2012 at 7:31 am

Tis the season for spider webs and HUGE spiders in every imaginable place outdoors. As long as I’m not desperately trying to extricate my head from one, I can pause and think, Wow, that is incredibly beautiful. Especially covered with dew! Wonderful pictures. Thanks Raleigh-Elizabeth!

2 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 7:57 am

Oh. You are much braver than I, Alexis. We have huge spiders at the house from now till the first freeze and I all-out panic every time I see one. No amount of talking myself down (You’re 100o times bigger than it. It doesn’t want to hurt you. It’s not evil.) keeps me from freaking out. : )

3 alexis_gentry October 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

I am so giggling right now. I have heard that same inner dialogue…

4 raleigh-elizabeth October 5, 2012 at 8:00 am

Alexis… I just found two black widows when changing my wreath from summer to fall. I screamed, threw the wreath into the air, and ran inside to hide without even thinking about closing the door. Or anything logical. So… I’m right there with you. But sometimes the light hits those webs just so…

5 alexis_gentry October 5, 2012 at 8:42 am

Yes, I am truly grateful that the Pacific Northwest has very few ‘poisonous’ spiders. That said, I don’t think I could identify which are which, so…best not to think about it too much. :)

6 rebekah October 5, 2012 at 7:47 am

Wow, I thought that was jewelry!

7 raleigh-elizabeth October 5, 2012 at 8:01 am

Aren’t they just so surprising!

8 bdaiss October 5, 2012 at 8:01 am

Wow! Those are amazing! I’ve always loved bugs and spend a lot of time lately convincing my kids spiders and other creepy crawlies are more scared of us than we are of them. That (most of them) eat the bad bugs and we WANT them around…just not in our house. So we move them outside when we can.

9 Dew-Dazzled October 5, 2012 at 8:05 am

These images are beyond gorgeously stunning. I’m awe struck.

LOVE your posts, Raleigh-Elizabeth.

10 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity October 5, 2012 at 8:20 am

Those are beautiful. I thought they were jewels or brooches or something.

11 Giulia October 5, 2012 at 8:21 am

Macro photography is such an art because it brings things to our attention that we don’t normally see in that way. These are lovely and kind of futuristic – love it!
I don’t mind crawly things outdoors, but last week a spider dropped on my face while I was reading in bed – let’s just say I was not pleased at all and hubby found my reaction quite amusing.

12 Amy B. October 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

These bugs take the win, but I still can’t get behind … or really, anywhere near … this spider web business.

13 Christina @ Homemade Ocean October 5, 2012 at 9:26 am

I would have never believed you if you told me those were real bugs!

14 Christy@SweetandSavoring October 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

I agree, it’s hard to believe they’re real! My husband has taken lots of macro photographs of insects, but I’ve never seen SO MANY dew drops at once. Beautiful!