Celebrations: Make the Spookiest Scarecrow Ever

October 23, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Friends. Here’s something new that I’ve been dying to share with you: Today, I launched a new video series on Babble!

The series is called Celebrations with Design Mom (just like the name of my Babble column). And the videos will cover everything that falls under the umbrella of celebrating. Baby showers and birthday parties. Holidays and special days (like the First Day of School). Even family gatherings and movie parties. All the fun stuff!

At the end of last month, I mentioned working with a video crew, and this was the project. We filmed 7 episodes that week and I get to share the first 3 this week. (It’s going to be video overload around here. Hah!) Take a look at the first episode. I really hope you enjoy it:

Confession: After all of the Olive Us episodes I thought I was used to working on videos, but it was a totally different feeling being in front of the camera instead of working behind the scenes. I was so nervous. Tiger in a Jar was the video crew and they did an amazing job. The videos are gorgeous! But even knowing how talented the video team is, and that they wouldn’t make anything that wasn’t lovely, this is still one of those projects where I have butterflies in my stomach, because I’m putting myself out there and trying something new. (Those darn butterflies!)

If you have ideas for future episodes, please feel free to leave a comment below. I’m totally craving feedback!

P.S. — For those who have asked, the fantastic stripey sweater dress is by Tea Collection.

{ 1 trackback }

Everything Halloween - Simple Sojourns
October 28, 2013 at 9:12 pm

1 Khali Whatley October 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Oh Gabby, what a fabulous idea and fabulous video. You did such a great job! You didn’t need butterflies, you’re a total pro. (As expected.)

2 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

Oh. You are such a sweetheart, Khali! Thank you for making the first comment — and making such a positive one! I really appreciate it.

3 amy c October 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm

This is great! Can’t wait for the others. And I agree with the above statement, you are a total pro. :)

4 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:57 am

Oh Amy. You say the nicest things!

5 Monique October 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm

This was awesome! (And it’s kind of wild to hear your voice! After reading for so long, I’m getting a real kick out of seeing–and hearing!–more of you).

This craft was totally achievable. I liked its simplicity and that it looks like something we could do after a quick trip to the hardware store in one afternoon. The instructions were super clear and obvious, and your tone was just right. :)

Congrats on your first video! Can’t wait for more.

6 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Oh man. Hearing my own voice always sounds so strange to me! I think everyone probably feels that way. I remember being a child and hearing my voice on a tape recorder and I didn’t believe it was really me!

Thanks you for the kind feedback, Monique!

7 Megan October 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I don’t know if I’ve ever heard your voice after reading for so long — it’s just how imagined with your writing. Can’t wait to see and hear more of you in your future Celebrations videos!

Such a great video and achieveable project… so perfect for this time of year.

8 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:56 am

“it’s just how imagined with your writing”

Yay! That is such good news to me.

9 Wendy and tyler October 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Terrific! This made me temporarily wish we weren’t living out of our car, so I could decorate! ;)

10 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’m dying to catch up with you, Wendy!

11 Julie October 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm

LOVE this idea! so simple! and I have some of those nice squat pumpkins already! Great video.. so to the point, fun, great music!

12 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:56 am

Funny you mention pumpkins. Sourcing them was the hardest part of this video! We had put a listing on the French Craigs List and bought them from a farmer. We wanted 3 but could only find two!

13 KelliO October 23, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I just had the thought a few days ago, “I wonder what Design Mom’s voice is like?” haha. Love the video! Good work.

14 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:54 am

Did you really? That’s hilarious!

15 SarahBeth October 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm

My husband was watching this over my shoulder.
“It kinda looks like pumpkin Jesus …”

16 SarahBeth October 24, 2012 at 6:09 am

we both love it ;) Such a fun, inexpensive idea that looks so much nicer than a plastic blow-up thing!

17 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:43 am

Too funny! In one of the recordings I made, when we got to the part where we nail the 2 pieces of wood together I said, “At this point, you’ll wonder why Design Mom is having you build a giant cross for your yard…”

: )

18 Jodie October 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I had to stop and think Is that DesignMom talking or someone else narrating? I guess we’ve never really heard your voice before. :) I’m excited to see (and hear) more!

19 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:44 am

It’s really me! : ) And I’ll be sharing the next video in a couple of hours. Stay tuned.

20 katie October 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Fantastic idea! I am an avid fan of your blog, and this just adds to the greatness of it!

21 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thank you, Katie! I love experimenting on this blog. I’m glad you like what I’m creating. Means a lot!

22 Elizabeth October 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I think you looked and sounded utterly natural! Great job and very cool project!

23 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:53 am

Elizabeth! I think you guessed one of the very things I’ve been worried about. I really want to sound natural!

24 bdaiss October 23, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Wonderful! I love the idea and you did a great job! I agree with the others – I don’t think I’d ever actually heard your voice before (at least not at length). It’s very you…or at least as I imagined you. : )

25 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:46 am

It’s so comforting to hear I sound like you imagined from my writing. I hope so! I’m really hope that if I stick with this, I’ll sound more and more at ease.

26 Jacqueline October 23, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Wonderful job! Martha Stewart step aside…

27 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:52 am

Hah! I hope she never steps aside. She’s one of my idols!

28 Sally Cage October 24, 2012 at 5:07 am

Gabrielle!!

I LOVE your voice! So neat to hear it after reading your ‘voice’ in words for so long.

This was a great tutorial, can’t wait to see more of them. Brilliant job! :)

29 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:51 am

Such kind words! Thank you, Sally.

30 Jan @ Family Bites October 24, 2012 at 5:41 am

I love the video! And it’s so nice to “hear” you….

31 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thank you, Jan! I hope having sounds adds a positive new dimension to the blog.

32 TN October 24, 2012 at 7:15 am

CONGRATS! You have so many things going on how do you manage it all?!? People ask me that all the time but this is nothing compared to you ;-)

33 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:47 am

I hear you! I feel like I’ve been unusually busy the last few months. But I think my life will be calming down again soon.

34 Maria October 24, 2012 at 7:36 am

Cool! I might make these on a smaller scale for the front yard. I’ve been trying to buy Halloween decorations for days now, but they’re all so gory they would scare the jeepers out of my 2 and 4 year old girls. I think these are just right, spooky, but not gory. LOVE IT!

35 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:47 am

Yes! That is exactly what I was going for: spooky, but not gory. I’m glad you like them!

36 Sharon @ Discovering blog October 24, 2012 at 8:01 am

My work blocks videos (stupid corporate job – expecting me to work!) so I can’t view it until later, but congratulations!
I know what you mean about butterflies! I always need to be pursuing new challenges and situations, but when those butterflies kick in, I find myself reverting to a shy 12 year old who just wants to melt into the walls.

37 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:50 am

Funny you mention videos at work. I was on a panel with Maxwell from Apartment Therapy last week and the topic of videos on blogs came up. He mentioned that from a business perspective, 9 to 5 was a blogger’s “primetime”, but that people can’t watch videos at work, so AT is experimenting with the idea of silent videos. Fascinating!

38 mom in mendon October 24, 2012 at 8:41 am

Fun! The video is so much more personal, getting to see and hear DM in action!

39 Design Mom October 24, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thanks, Mom!

40 Becca F October 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I loved this! You have such a kind voice in writing and in person! We just visited Sleepy Hollow last weekend and I found it all so inspiring. Glad to have some instructions to make something happen in our yard!

41 ali lanenga October 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

i hate halloween, totally hate being scared or spooked or anything of that nature. i did however love your video and that’s saying something. maybe good things can come out of halloween after all :)

42 Michelle October 24, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Really fantastic job! I’ve been reading your blog for a while and it’s so much fun to watch and hear you. I love the DIY scarecrow idea and look forward to seeing more of your ideas and you!

43 Laura October 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for a terrific birthday gift! I opened up pinterest to find these delightful spooky scarecrows! I am so ready to crank out these spooky guys this weekend! I just love your video and enjoy seeing you bubbly personality on my computer. Keep em coming!

44 MorticiA October 25, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I didn’t have a chance to see the video. However, my husband peeked over my shoulder and saw the scarecrows a few nights ago. When I cam home tonight, they were on the front lawn, and they sent a chill through my spine! And while he was putting it up, he did have someone come by and ask about the crosses on the front lawn :) Thanks for the great idea!

45 Shannon October 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Just in case you need a little more external validation, you were great. You have such a pleasant sounding voice that sounds like you have been making videos forever, really. This is a fun idea. Easy to execute. And definitely not yucky scary, I despise yucky scary, why do people think it’s cool?

46 Kimberly October 28, 2012 at 2:43 pm

LOVING these videos!! (I’m watching them in my blog reader and had a bit of a back log, so this first one is actually the last one I saw) It’s fun to hear your voice and these ideas are so simple and approachable yet elegant and fun. Great video series!! And you look great :)