Bug Memorials

October 11, 2012

By Koseli.

When it comes to insects, I think we can each be classified as either a saver…or a stomper! But Minneapolis-based Carmichael Collective has officially created a new and hilarious category: a shriner, or one who honors even the tiniest deceased with a proper memorial. Hilarious.

By the way, what’s your “Eep! There’s an insect in the house!” protocol?

{ 2 trackbacks }

Happy Weekend! | Snippet & Ink
October 12, 2012 at 8:00 am
Before We Go... | this heart of mine
October 12, 2012 at 10:14 am

1 Christina October 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Here’s what I tell my boys: Bugs outside the house can live — at that point, it’s their house, not mine. All bugs inside the house forfeit the right to live, except for crickets and ladybugs.

2 kim October 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm

thats timely! my almost 6 year old made a little ‘tent’ for a squished ant yesterday out of a leaf and some rose thorns. maybe I should send him over to minneapolis!

3 Liz Moore October 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I live in the deep south with Palmetto Bugs which is a nice way of saying GIANT flying roach. They get stomped AND flushed. I want them gone. On the flip side, I will let a giant garden spider live outside forever. I find them fascinating.

4 Carter Higgins October 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

This is amazing!! I am sadly a stomper, unless I get the feeling that Charlotte is watching. I could become a shriner, though!

5 Koseli October 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm

“Charlotte is watching” Ha!

6 agatha October 11, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I think it’s so strange that you can publish THIS right after your post about Ethiopia.

7 Tasha October 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm

So true…but life does go on…I hear you though…wow

8 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:48 am

Hi Agatha! Everything but my Ethiopia posts, and my Weekend Links post was auto-scheduled in advance this week, and then I’d write and hit publish on the Ethiopia posts whenever I could find internet access.

Sorry if the timing seemed bothersome to you! No offense was intended, I promise. : )

9 Tasha October 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I DO love this! I save everything!!! I even got a special bug catcher from my father (whom I have “fights” with about killing bugs all the time) and it has been so helpful. One of the first things my students “learn” is that we are a no-kill zone…I can’t take it. I just feel so compelled, even though it is a part of life, to save anyone I can…big or small. I think the innocence of insects, animals and of course humans (sometimes) makes me think of my own importance and theirs as well…equal to me really. I have cried for a fly, held a moth at its last breath and talked to numerous worms about their decision to be in my driveway! I guess to sum up, it comes down to respect of life…that is my stand. That’s all I can say as I’m sure I sound nuts enough lol. Peace ♥

10 Whitney Hardie October 11, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Oh man – the music really puts it over the top. This is brilliant!

11 Stephanie Precourt October 11, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Oh my gosh I love this! Well, I am a saver usually. I just can’t bear to kill a spider and will do everything I can to leave her alone. One time, though, I was at Bunco with some new friends and a fly got in our salsa, so I just took a napkin and “took care of it” to the extreme horror of my new friends. They were all vegans and very against harming any living thing. Including that fly. The vibe totally changed and I left soon after! Ugh. I had no idea and felt awful.

Steph

12 Tasha October 12, 2012 at 3:58 am

I got over a huge spider fear by saving them…especially the first time…I’m sweating now thinking of it…

13 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

I have a huge spider fear. Well, I really, most spiders are okay. I have a HUGE fear of HUGE spiders. I don’t dare go near them. I can’t imagine being brave enough to either smash or save them. : )

14 Design Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:51 am

Steph, I’ve never ever been at a dinner with people that would have been bothered if I took care of fly. I’m fascinated!

15 Elizabeth October 11, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Oh, my. I love this — and so needed the laugh.

16 Koseli October 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Agreed. The things people think of!

17 Azra October 12, 2012 at 6:57 am

This is just so cool! We live in an old house, so ants, spiders etc. are regular in here. The rule is, you find a napkin, gently scoop them up and send them outside. Except for flies… they have a sad ending. In my defense, it is hard to catch the fly. :)

18 amy c October 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hahaha! Oh my goodness, this is hilarious! Bugs do not fare well in our house. I don’t think I’m afraid of them but they creep me out and I fear that if I don’t exterminate them, they will crawl on me when I sleep. :)

19 Anonymous October 12, 2012 at 11:08 am

I didn’t take the time to read the entire post or video, so my comments may be ignorant base on that – that being said, I think this idea of a “Bug Shrine” horribly diminishes the real shrines that people up – to honor their loved ones that have lost their lives tragically. I think comparing that to a squashed bug is so degrading and heartless. (btw, smash the buggers)

20 Corinne October 12, 2012 at 2:12 pm

We always carry our bugs outside instead of squishing them. And I try SO HARD not to say “Yuck!” when I see a bug so my kids won’t be predisposed to see all bugs as yucky. :) I swear this has helped them to be more empathetic. So funny, because I just blogged about this, then I went back and included a link to your post. http://www.5for50project.blogspot.com/2012/10/an-un-ordinary-ordinary-day-around-here.html . So cute. Thanks for sharing your great content, as always!

21 Alie A October 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm