Blushing

October 15, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Last week, I was telling Karen a little anecdote about my daughter Olive and the f-word (it’s a good story, I’ll have to share in another post), and I blushed while telling it. I’m not a big swearer and the few times I’ve had the occasion to say the f-bomb — even if I’m just quoting! — inevitably bring a rose to my cheeks.

Do you blush easily? Don’t be embarrassed; it’s a good thing. According to a few studies, people who blush easily are perceived as more generous and trustworthy than those who don’t. Another bonus? Blushers are considered to be great lovers, too!

But here’s a tip if the redness is getting out of hand: to stop that blush from creeping down your neck to your chest, simply take a deep breath and pull your shoulders down. This automatically relaxes your body and minimizes blushing!

Embarrassed with style, found here.

P.S. — As I predicted in my first post from Ethiopia, I experienced many embarrassing moments last week! There were mispronounced names, geography gaffes and interesting new foods that shocked my taste buds and had me scrambling for water. Oh, well! A little blushing is to be expected when you find yourself somewhere completely new; you’re going to make a few harmless mistakes along the way, and that’s perfectly okay.

1 marni zarr October 15, 2012 at 10:31 am

my sister and i both blush at the slightest thing and once we are aware of the heat traveling up our chest to our necks, or sliding from our ears down we are done! i will have to share the tip with her… and the good news ;)

2 Design Mom October 16, 2012 at 6:23 am

I hope you’ll let us know if the tip works for you!

3 Emily October 15, 2012 at 10:32 am

I blush terribly. I assume it’s b/c I’m very fair skinned. I also get really red when I work hard super hard-like run several miles at a fast pace or take a very intense boot camp class, etc and I don’t tolerate heat well. I find it so loathsome. I’ll try to chane my view after reading this.

4 Helena October 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Oh, I get so red from working out, too! I try not to let it bother me, but I definitely get embarrassed about it… which makes the whole thing worse…

5 Helena October 15, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I have red hair and translucent skin. I look like I’m blushing in my resting state.

That said, I can BLUSH like nobody’s business. I joke that my scalp even blushes when I’m embarrassed.

6 Design Mom October 16, 2012 at 6:22 am

” I look like I’m blushing in my resting state.”

Hah!

7 Christy@SweetandSavoring October 15, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I always feel like I’m giving myself away when I blush (as if I want to appear aloof?). Nice to read that study!

8 Ginger October 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Provocation of a man’s lust, not her husband, should make any woman blush!

9 *Dream Weaver* October 15, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I blush easily so its great to know that I could possibly be more generous and trustworthy and a great lover than those who don’t :)

I love it when my husband says something sweet and kind and I blush to no end.

10 Design Mom October 16, 2012 at 6:21 am

Hooray for kind and sweet husbands!

11 Lisa October 16, 2012 at 8:16 am

Blush? Huh. Let’s better say instant face paint. The reason why I started putting on foundation in Fall/Winter since I was 15. I’m very fair skinned and redness flashes like a Stop sign on my face and it is so obvious when chill comes along. The worst is when my neck blushes, which needs a long time to go away. I am aware that when you feel like blushing or you think you will go red, it actually makes you feel uncomfortable and maybe you turn red because of that. Sometimes I feel super blushed but when I look at myself in the mirror I just have tiny red areas on my cheekbones.

What I can’t bear with are the awkward and disturbing questions like ” Why are you red?” and comments like “Oh your neck is sooo red!”. Duuuuh!
I’m gonna try the tip Gabrielle and maybe I will thank you for saving my life :)

12 tere October 16, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I totally blush if I swear too!! I feel so dumb, haha! Unless it’s a really deserving situation, words were created for a reason…