Blaze

October 29, 2012

By Koseli.

Last weekend, we hopped on a train at Grand Central Station and took a 45 minute ride north toward Sleepy Hollow to see the world famous Great Jack’O Lantern Blaze. Have you heard of it? It is a Halloween dream. Five thousand pumpkins (five thousand pumpkins!) are carved into elaborate creations. A graveyard, scarecrows, a giant spider web, alley cats — but also unexpected creations: dinosaurs, titans, and underwater creatures.

It’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever done to get into the Halloween spirit. How about you? What does your town do to celebrate? Haunted houses? Maybe a corn maze?

Photos via Inhabitat. (But I have a million more if you’d like to see them sometime!)

1 Valerie {all mussed up} October 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

There is little to no Halloween fanfare here in the Netherlands — I find myself craving this kind of wonderful over-the-top holiday cheer! What fun that dinosaur is!

2 Koseli October 31, 2012 at 7:39 am

I think the dinosaurs were my favorite part. A few were even moving!

3 bdaiss October 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Wow! I am totally putting that on my someday list! Super cool!

4 Lola G. October 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I grew up in that area, and I loved going to Sleepy Hollow and Philipsburg Manor, although there was no major pumpkin event at that time. It looks like quite a production – I’m glad you had such a nice time!

5 Koseli October 31, 2012 at 7:41 am

Sleepy Hollow seems really fun too. We’ve only driven through but it looked like the perfect little town for a spooky Halloween.

6 Dee October 30, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Incredible! My town hosts a family friendly trick or treat event followed by a nighttime Thriller Dance Party in the town center. So fun! It was postponed this year due to Sandy.