Birth Photos

October 8, 2012

By Whitney.

Some of my favorite posts to read on Design Mom are the birth stories. I am always so moved by the emotion and beauty inherent throughout the birthing process.

I’ve been photographing births for a few years, so I was very interested in what this article had to say about birth photography becoming more popular. For many women, photos of their child entering the world are an absolute treasure, while others cringe at the thought of a camera present during such a personal moment.

Have any of you had a birth photographed…or desperately wish you had? Did the presence of a photographer make you feel at all uncomfortable or as though you had to remain somewhat photogenic through the entire birth? (That would be impossible, wouldn’t it?) I’m so curious to hear your thoughts!

Photos by Hardie Photography.

P.S. — Have you seen sweet Erin‘s home birth photos captured by Betsy King? I was in tears by the end! And remember Baby June’s birth? So fast, the photographer arrived just after the baby!

1 Emily @ Peck Life October 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

This is so relevant for me today as I just announced pregnancy #2 on the blog this morning. :) I did not have a photographer with #1 but really would like to for #2, mainly to take the pressure off my husband having to take photos! So many of the photo stories, including Erin’s are so touching and I would love to be able to remember and see all the little details I might have missed while I was in immense pain! :)

2 Whitney Hardie October 8, 2012 at 3:23 pm

You’re absolutely right. Aside from having photos to remind you of what was happening while you were busy focusing, hiring a birth photographer does a lot to help Dad be fully present, instead of worrying about trying to capture the story.

3 kelsey October 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

I gave birth to my first last March, and I am so thankful that we hired someone to take photos. The pictures are so meaningful!

4 Whitney Hardie October 8, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for sharing this Kelsey – your birth story reminded me so much of my own first labor and delivery. The way you recount the story makes me feel like I was there. And of course the photos are beautiful!

5 Heidi October 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm

After a very long struggle with infertility and miscarriage, we had a daughter in January, and I knew I wanted photos from her birth. We talked about hiring a photographer, but we just didn’t find the right fit. Instead, my mom and sisters attended the birth and took photos for us. I asked them to take as many pictures as they could and that I’d “screen” them all later and get rid of anything that made me uncomfortable. They are not photographers – either professional or amateur – but I knew that if they took enough shots we’d get some very special ones.

What they captured have become one of the most precious things to me. The pictures represent raw emotion that had been building for many years as we waited for this sweet baby.

I blogged my birth story with the pictures here if you’re interested in seeing: http://slightlycosmopolitan.com/blog/2012/02/islas-birth-story-conclusion-part-3/

6 Whitney Hardie October 8, 2012 at 3:39 pm

For not being professional photographers, your family members did a wonderful job capturing those moments. Congratulations on your remarkable journey!

7 the emily October 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm

My good friend Sharon Johnson does the most beautiful birth photographs I’ve ever seen. I seriously plan on having another baby and one of the many reasons is so I can have her there to take the pictures. Our hospital pictures of the first three are dreadful.

8 Angela October 8, 2012 at 3:30 pm

My most precious photos are my babies births – they remind me of my innate power and how much i came to believe in my own abilities. I remember telling my sister, the midwife or whoever was taking the photo “no flash!” – such a concentration breaker. And while some of the photos are dark (and some unflattering!), they remind me of those two special nights when i was cocooned in my home, birthing my family.

9 Nikki @ Outnumbered October 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm

We had our fourth baby in January and we had a photographer there (our first time). I swear it was the best money we ever spent.

10 macarena October 9, 2012 at 8:59 am

My first pregnancy ended with a C-section, and my husband didn’t want to go inside the op room. So we gave the anestesiologist our super camera and had the best possible photos. She had the time to take the photos and didn’t grinche at all when my doctor open me and took Santiago out. She was the most exited one in the room, she loved the camera and shout endessly (almost 250 photos). For the second pregnancy it was a premature birht (29 weeks) so we didn’t had the opportunity, however I would love to have some really nice photos of Pia in the Neo, I dind’t had the heart or mind to do it. Could be a great gift for someone.

11 Tara October 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

I knew I wanted birth photos before I was even pregnant, so when we found out one of the first people we told was my friend Karissa who is a professional photographer. I loved having her there as a support and also to capture the events and the emotion of that time. I wrote about my son’s birth here http://thetinyhummingbird.blogspot.com/2011/11/remembering-day-ezra-was-born.html, if you’d like to see.

12 Larissa October 9, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I was born in 1969, and my father talked his way into the delivery room (a challenge back then) and photographed my birth. I grew up with a framed, beautiful b&w montage that starts with my mother with her Mia Farrow-esque short hair and funky print dress lying on the carpet as she’s going into labor. Then it’s her checking in with her suitcase, arguing with the nurses (because they were trying to shave her, which she was refusing), an actual shot of me being born, held, nursed, my mother on the delivery table looking thrilled and so young, and then tiny me in the nursery. They’re beautiful and not at all graphic and very much of the times.