After The Rain

October 30, 2012

By Gabrielle.

There are so many worry-inducing headlines from the East Coast — I think I’ll always be homesick for New York! — so I guess I’ve got rainstorms on my mind. Mostly the calm that comes after a big one: when the air settles and the sun comes home and that first bird signals it’s safe again.

These photos from rural Indonesia capture that moment — the one I’m wishing comes quickly to those in #Sandy’s path — perfectly.

As seen on Colossal.

P.S. — Is everyone okay?

1 Christa the BabbyMama October 30, 2012 at 6:41 am

We’re okay here in coastal MA! It was a little scarier than it would have been with a newborn in the house – but I was actually more worried for my very pregnant friends. It would not have been cool to go into labor and have to go to the hospital during all that!

2 Hayley October 30, 2012 at 8:47 am

I was pregnant (6-7 months) when Ike came through Houston in 2008. We were without electricity for at least 2 weeks. Part of me thinks it was more than that. It was miserably hot, which never fun when you are pregnant! The poor East Coasters have it when it is cold. Both suck!

3 Sunny Day October 30, 2012 at 6:42 am

Gabrielle,
I guess our beloved New Yorkers are out of electricity or not using it for internet because apparently they are going for a rough week with electricity problems! I hope they are at least cozy and warm at their places…

4 Victoria (Victoria Larson Textiles) October 30, 2012 at 7:46 am

What charming photos – I’m looking forward to this phase! We were lucky in DC. Still no power but all are safe and sound. And now the clean up – ugh.

5 Azra October 30, 2012 at 7:58 am

Gabrielle, here in MA everything is OK. We had some strong winds and lots of rain. No damage and we are lucky to have electricity. I have other people on my mind.

6 Koseli October 30, 2012 at 8:45 am

We’re okay in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, but lots of people aren’t. It’s awful. Fires, high water levels, trees down, smashed cars, homes destroyed. We are feeling incredibly blessed and praying for those still trying to get to safety. It was a pretty scary day/night. xo

7 cal October 30, 2012 at 9:21 am

reminds me of the year of my mission that was on borneo, it would routinely flood and all the little boys would be swimming in the water…and then all be sick two days later…and then do it again…hopefully no one will be doing that in ny

8 Tasha October 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

Hudson Valley we lucked out! Family at Jersey Shore not so lucky…looks like my childhood boardwalk is gone:( We were lucky here although I have two neighbors with large trees on homes…be safe all ♥

9 Lola G. October 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm

We’re in good shape in our part of Connecticut, although some of the shoreline towns didn’t fare as well. We had our power restored in less than 24 hours, unlike the August storm last year, when it was out for 8 days, and then again during the big snowstorm in October that knocked it out for another four.

Lower Manhattan, the other boroughs, and New Jersey seem to have taken the worst hits, and by that I mean that some sections look worse than war zones. A section of Queens had 80 homes burn to the ground, the section of the city where our son and daughter-in-law live had cars floating down the streets with bumper-level waters going along with a fairly fast-moving current. The situation in the subway system is beyond mind-boggling, and it’s hard to even guess when the entire transit system will be restored to something resembling normal. This is just a thumbnail sketch of some of the horrific damage this storm has brought.

I suppose the best that can be hoped for with all of this is that families, neighbors, and communities rally to help those who have suffered the loss of loved ones and property, and that those affected find some peace sooner rather than later.

10 Lisa October 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Everything in PA is okay but my family on the Lower Eastside is without power, heat or hot water. Hoping that we can get them out of the city and take them somewhere warm soon! Right now, the difficulty is that Sandy brought cold weather.