About The ONE Campaign

October 5, 2012

By Gabrielle.

I’m headed to Ethiopia tomorrow. My flight leaves Paris at 10:50 PM. It’s a red-eye, direct to Addis Ababa. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this trip and I think some of you are too, because I’ve been getting emails asking me what it’s all about.

Karen of Chookooloonks, a dear friend of mine, and the photographer for this trip, wrote up a really wonderful explanation about what the ONE Campaign does. It’s probably the clearest thing I’ve read on the subject, and I hope you’ll go check it out. I’m going to quote two paragraphs here:

“In their words, ONE is a “nonpartisan advocacy organization dedicated to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa.” What this means is that ONE is all about working to convince governments (primarily the U.S. government, but also others) to invest in smart programs that help to eliminate extreme poverty and preventable disease in a sustainable way. Furthermore, it doesn’t raise money or grants: ONE is almost completely funded by its board members and by foundations (like the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, for example) — and therefore, it never, ever asks for money from the general public. ​ Ever.​

​What they do ask for, however, is your voice. The way ONE does this is by using its budget to amplify the stories of the organizations that are doing all the heavy lifting on the ground on the continent, making sure that governments see all the good change that is happening in Africa in the fight against extreme poverty and diseases like HIV/AIDS and malaria, so that they are encouraged to continue to help. In addition, ONE works to make sure the general public (both in the US and internationally) also hears these stories, so they are moved to become members of ONE. The more members ONE has, the louder ONE’s voice is, and the more governments sit up and pay attention. And in turn, hopefully, the more good happens on the ground.”

Which brings us to the ONEMoms. For the last two years, ONE has taken a group of parenting bloggers to Africa to help tell these stories, sharing concrete evidence of how the organizations on the ground are using the governments’ support to make real improvements happen.​ I’m one of those parenting bloggers. Throughout next week, I’ll be traveling with a group of dedicated women. While there, each of us will be sharing what we see and what we experience, and we’ll be posting about it in real-time on our blogs, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and any other resources we can think of. My fellow bloggers on this trip are:

Alice Currah
Rana DiOrio
Asha Dornfest
Cathleen Falsani
Liz Gumbinner
Jennifer Howze
Christine Koh
Michelle Pannell
Diana Prichard
Maya Haile Samuelsson
Kelly Wickham

If you’d like to follow and learn along with us, that would be amazing. If you’d like to amplify our posts by sharing them on your own social media outlets, that would be double amazing. Thank you in advance!

I’m traveling to Ethiopia at the kind invitation and expense of The ONE Campaign. ONE doesn’t ask for your money, just your voice. If you’re moved by anything you read or see here, or on the ONE blog, please consider adding your voice, and join ONE by filling out the form. Your information will remain confidential. ONE.org also sent me the pretty bracelet at top.

1 The New Diplomats Wife October 5, 2012 at 8:59 am

I think this experience will likely change your perspective, if not your life. Have a wonderful and safe trip – waiting to hear and see more upon your return!

2 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 11:09 am

Oh. I have been thinking the very same thing. I keep telling Ben Blair that no matter how much I prepare, I know I’m not prepared.

3 Linda K October 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

Trying to sign up…won’t allow my Canadian Postal Code to be entered :( Have a wonderful experience. I can’t wait to read your posts.

4 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 11:10 am

Ugh. I wasn’t told it was a U.S. based form. I’ll see if I can find out any info on that.

5 Christina @ Homemade Ocean October 5, 2012 at 9:25 am

That is very inspiring! Can you do it if you arent a mama?

6 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

For sure! ONE.org is for everybody. Male and female. ONEmoms just refers to the group of Mom Bloggers going to Africa.

7 Sarah October 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

awesome! thank you for doing this.

8 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 11:12 am

You’re sweet to thank me, Sarah. Thank YOU for the supportive comment and the enthusiasm.

9 laura @ hollywood housewife October 5, 2012 at 10:43 am

What an amazing group of people going. Looking forward to following along.

10 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

It is an amazing group. I’m honored to be counted among them! Some are long time blogging friends — like Liz, Christine, Asha and Kelly. Others I have yet to meet but have admired from afar.

11 Julia @ Calm Cradle October 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

Thank you, Gabi, for using your blog to raise the visibility of such important issues. You never cease to inspire!

12 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

Thank you for reading, Julia! I so appreciate your positive comments about the coverage.

13 Azra October 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

Gabrielle, that is great! What a wonderful cause. I wish you safe and inspirational trip. Can’t wait to hear more.

14 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thank you for following along, Azra!

15 Elise October 5, 2012 at 11:37 am

Wow! wishing you safe travels. Can’t wait to see what unravels during your time there.

16 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I just got a glimpse of our itinerary and it’s ambitious in the best sort of way. 3 cities and tons of site visits. I can’t imagine how much I’m going to learn.

17 Nicole October 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I got chills just reading about ONEmoms. Amazing! I can’t wait to read your updates!

18 Design Mom October 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thank you, Nicole! It’s incredibly reassuring to know have an audience in mind when I’m writing up my reports. I’m glad you’ll be reading.

19 Gretel Patch October 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

This is wonderful and I will be following your trip. Four years ago we adopted our son from Ethiopia and he has greatly enriched our life. Ethiopia is a beautiful land, culture, and people who face very real struggles. I have been to Ethiopia many times and know you are in for a great adventure. Best of luck in this much-needed effort!

20 Kim October 6, 2012 at 10:14 am

As soon as I read you were flying into Addis Ababa, I am reminded of the book Cutting for Stone that I finished in September. It is a beautiful, heartwrenching story about brothers, Africa, and medical miracles. If you haven’t read it, I would recommend you read it. Safe travels on your trip. I cannot wait to follow your adventures.

21 Mom101 October 6, 2012 at 11:05 am

I am so excited to share this with you Gabbby. Sitting in the airport right now, waiting for our flight, catching up on posts…and thinking soon it will be “we’re here.”

22 Heather October 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I adopted my daughter from Ethiopia three years ago. You will definitely be changed after your visit there. I’ve never flipped a light switch or turned on the water tap with the same disregard since! Happy travels and enjoy your time there.