A Few Things

October 20, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you? Are you enjoying your weekend? I am back in France after my little trip to New York (where I snapped the photo above). It was a short trip, but I packed it in with meetings and appointments and discussions over dinners and lunches. I arrived home yesterday and you know what we did? Nothing! Ben Blair and I gathered the kids around us on the couch and watched movies till bedtime. Oh my goodness, I was so tired! It felt amazing to just hang out.

While I soak up my family (I’ve missed them like crazy!), here are a few things I’d love to share with you:

- Wouldn’t you just want to touch everything in this fantastic shop?
- Curious what you think about this article. (I would agree with him…Ben Blair might not!)
- If you’re still looking for a Halloween costume… and have an unlimited budget. : )
- A nursery to pamper mom + baby.
- Universal wrapping paper.
- A little challenge.
- How to make paper pencils.

Here are the first posts I’ve written for my new Babble column called Celebrations. I hope you enjoy them!

- My first post: A very French party to say Hello.
- Easy Halloween decorations. It’s not too late!
- Halloween party? Here are really good printables to re-label your refreshments.
- What happens when your kids are “too old” to wear costumes?
- Here are the coolest Halloween party invitations. Just print and send!

I hope the rest of your weekend is lovely. I’ll meet you back here tomorrow. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — One fun thing about New York. You know the panel I spoke on? Well, Martha Stewart was sitting in the front row of the audience. Taking notes! And tweeting us out!! I about died.

1 alexis_gentry October 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Gosh that wrapping paper is clever! Perhaps I’ll rustle up something similar for Christmas this year…

2 Emily October 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

psyched to see you linking to the article about Cook’s. I’ve worked there for 7 years.

3 Marlo October 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’d love to know the source for the dresser and crib in the nursery photo.

4 Dee October 21, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I agree with the article as well. I love to look at and eat beautiful food, but at home, cooking is entirely functional for me. It was really great to meet you, Gabrielle!

5 Margo, Thrift at Home October 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Well, I read the entire Cook’s article because I’m weirdly fascinated by them and I subscribed to the magazine for a year; I stopped getting it because I didn’t really want to make the recipes, just read the process. Cooking is a mostly creative endeavor for me, a creative outlet, really. I like to know the science behind the recipes, but that’s not the core for me. (I’m a cookbook editor, by the way!)

6 Mara {A Blog About Love} October 22, 2012 at 12:10 am

YOU ROCK. :) xoxo

7 BON VOYAGE October 22, 2012 at 2:36 am

Awesomeness beyond words. Tell us more! Tell us more!!!

8 Aline October 22, 2012 at 6:32 am

Gabrielle,
you and your family are a lovely inspiration. Everytime I read your post I wish to get marry and have at least 5 children! But first of all I need to find a good man like Ben Blair! :)

Any tips to find a good man?

Sending love, from Brazil.

9 Lola G. October 22, 2012 at 7:43 am

While I agree that there are plenty of things I might want to touch in the Paxton Gate shop, I think I’ll pass on the raccoon penis bones!

10 susan October 22, 2012 at 7:44 am

Welcome home Gabrielle. As always I enjoyed your latest creative post.

11 mommio October 22, 2012 at 8:55 am

About the article: cooking, like any endeavor, turns out results commensurate to what goes in. Cooking is not hard, and anyone can come up with a small repertoire of successful dishes that feeds themselves or their family… IF they want to. As a someone considered an accomplished cook, it is easy to spot those who profess interest but fall short in their enthusiasm (“I have to buy flour and baking powder to make these cookies???”) If you want to get a “graduate” degree in food prep, then, like everything else you must put in the time and be capable of learning from your mistakes. CI is a great place for a cook willing to put the time in. I would say it is not for the cook who wants to have a few recipes they do they well for the only purpose of putting food on their table.

12 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay October 22, 2012 at 9:10 am

I have been to Paxton Gate and it haunts me. I have treasures from there that I would never give away. It is a tiny place and I could spend hours in there imagining what I would do with every splendid item. Go, just go.