Powering Up

September 24, 2012

What a strange day. It was stormy and windy and power was out for ages.

Here’s what happened: I was scheduled to do some video projects, so I asked Rubi of She Let’s Her Hair Down, to take the train from Paris and help me get all styled up this morning. (Doing my hair has never been my strong suit.) Rubi started by using the curling iron on the back of my hair, and about 10 minutes in, the power went out, with no signs of coming back on and the storm getting stronger all the time.

So what did we do? We rallied our inner pioneers, built a fire in the fireplace and tried to heat the curling iron by hand!

Friends. Do not try this. Big fail.

Next, we drove to my friend Caroline’s house so we could borrow her electricity and finish my hair. And here’s the best part: I’m not sure my hair even made any appearances in today’s shoot. Hah!

But I’ve got power (and internet!!!) again, and I have some great posts for you today. So check back, because I’ll be posting over the next few hours. And that includes a Love the Place You Live linkup! Watch for it.

P.S. — I was looking up antique curling irons to see if I could find a photo for this post and found the image at top. What in the world is that crazy contraption? Is it for real?

1 Elbe1 September 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

Ha, that Lady is getting an oldfashioned perm. Creepy, huh?

2 Sonya September 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

That contraption is scary! I don’t think I have enough hair for it to work and I don’t think I would want it anywhere near my head!

3 Kate Littlemore September 24, 2012 at 12:19 pm

The photo looks like the equipment that was used to ‘perm’ hair, my Granny Betsy had her haired ‘permed’ with one the 1930s. She was the talk of her street and the height of fashion but then she did live in Northamptonshire, England!

4 elizabeth September 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I can picture the fireplace/curling iron shenanigans and it reminds me of something I would do with my friends. I’m having a really bad day (bad month, really), and I just wanted to thank you for giving me a huge laugh. I really needed it.

5 Mary September 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

My mother’s generation (early 1900′s) used curling tongs heated over the fire to style hair. She said many a girl lost her curl…literally. If they held the curl too long on the hot tong it burned right off.

6 Chellae September 25, 2012 at 6:59 am

There is this funny little museum in Rigby, Idaho (The Pioneer and TV Museum) that I visited this summer that has a machine just like that one above! When my three boys saw it they thought it was about the coolest thing in the museum, like a mega octopus. I was a little more creeped out by the hair wreaths and the tomato and carrot flavored Jell-O.

7 CMN September 25, 2012 at 10:38 am

Oh, Gabby! You crack me up! Curling hair via the fireplace indeed! I’m having visions of Little Women… Remember when Jo accidentally burned off a lock of Meg’s hair before the big dance?!? hopefully you didn’t run into that same level of, um, dedication. Lol!