Nicknames

September 27, 2012

Ben’s family, kicking it old school.

By Gabrielle.

My wonderful mother-in-law, Julia Blair, gave extravagant nicknames to her children. Ben’s is: Benjerbomboom. His siblings (or maybe it was the neighborhood kids) gave him another one: Ben-Benji-Bare-Bottom-Burp-Baby-Blair. All of his siblings have terrific nicknames. A sampling: Jenettikins, Blopsy, Caroliney-Deeny-Diny, Margretchie, and Deedle-Doos. (Just by reading those names aloud, you can probably guess that my mother-in-law is a wonderful singer. And you’d be right.)

We were telling our kids about their aunts’ and uncles’ nicknames, and realized that at our house, we’ve hardly used nicknames at all. Ralph is occasionally Ralphie. Maude is once-in-awhile Mimi. Olive is Olive. Oscar is Oscar (with an experimental Osc here and there). Betty is always Betty. And June is June.

I love the idea of nicknames and was kind of surprised to realize we didn’t use them! I wonder if it’s too late…

What are your thoughts on nicknames? Do you have one? Do your kids? Do you know anyone that was given a nickname as an adult and it stuck?

P.S. — I grew up with the nickname Gabby. Since I talk a lot, it’s always been a good fit. : ) Also, nicknames and alternate names always make me think of Dostoevsky. I swear, he uses like 10 different names for each character he introduces!

1 Connie September 27, 2012 at 8:51 am

My mom had a similar penchant for crazy nicknames. Apparently mine was Neeny-Weeny-Beanie-Bikini (They call me Bean for short), and my little sister’s was Punka-Schnnoodle-Doodle-Kaboodle (They call her Punka for short). The shortened nickname is actually what’s on our stockings. I remember back when we were engaged, my husband came to help trim the house for Christmas for the first time, and he pulled out the stockings and saw the names and asked, Puzzled, “Umm…which one’s YOU?” And I had to explain that I was, and always would be, Bean to my parents.

2 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 9:04 am

Oh my. Punka-Schnnoodle-Doodle-Kaboodle is pretty darn fantastic!

3 Janae @ Bring-Joy September 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

I agree! That’s quite a nickname.

4 Lyndsay September 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm

My mother used to call my Lyndsay-Loo. Then my grandmother transitioned the “loo” then to Luce, which then somehow turned into Lucy. So my nickname is an entirely different name. Makes things difficult to explain when I sometimes absent-mindedly respond to someone calling out to Lucy!

5 Megan M. September 27, 2012 at 9:00 am

My family called me Meg and Megamoo when I was little but it didn’t really stick. Similar with my other sisters, you can make short forms from all of our names, but we all grew out of our nicknames. My daughters’ names don’t really have short forms (Scarlett and Sosie) and we haven’t really invented any nickname for them that stuck. I guess we’re just not a nickname family! LOL

6 Marlena September 27, 2012 at 9:10 am

We call our daughter Noodle, since she was so floppy when she was little. My parents called me Birdie, since I was teeny when I was born, and my husband and I call one another Mr. and Ms. Pants – no idea why.

7 Christina @ Homemade Ocean September 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

I call my sister Leika….she just left for college and asked me if it was okay if she told everyone to call her Leika. haha

Glad I gave her one she liked :)

8 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Cute that she asked your permission. : )

9 Molly September 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

My parents gave me a name that didn’t have an obvious or easy nickname on purpose–they wanted me to use my given name. My mom occasionally called me Doll or Milly. Friends have generated a few nicknames–Mols, Mollinator, and Mold (thanks to iPhone autocorrecting Mols). All of them make me smile, especially the last two simply because they are ridiculous.

One thing I notice is that I am not good at giving nicknames and I’m only occasionally good at using them.

10 Chrissy Sparks (Brush Dance) September 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

Those are some seriously amazing nicknames!

My youngest daughter’s name is Deirdre (pronounced deer-druh), but I experimented with the nickname “Dee Dee” when she was an infant and it stuck. Now she prefers “Dee Dee” over her real name. She is in Pre-K and has told me that she will learn how to write her real name as long as everyone still calls her “Dee Dee”. :)
My oldest daughter is Isabel… we’ve experimented with “Izzy”, but it hasn’t stuck… sometimes people assume that “Isabel” is short for “Isabella”, so she used to think her nickname was “Isabella”..until I explained why they call her that LOL

11 Janae @ Bring-Joy September 27, 2012 at 9:18 am

“Since I talk a lot”–*gasp*, I can’t believe it :)

We purposely chose names for our boys that couldn’t be converted into a nickname easily. So our boys don’t have nicknames. But my girls do. Amalia, my oldest girl: Mali, Mali-May. My youngest girl, Salem: Sally, Sally-cheeks, Sal, “lovey-love”

I do love nicknames, especially for babies & kids!

12 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:38 pm

My youngest brother’s name is Salem! I’ve never met another one — girl or boy.

13 amelia September 27, 2012 at 9:19 am

Out of six kids growing up, mine is the only nickname that stuck. It is Missy which has nothing to do with my name Amelia. My grandfather called me Missy Prissy as a baby and it stuck. I’m Aunt Missy to a dozen nieces and nephews, and it is really strange to hear Aunt Amelia from the kids on my husband’s side. I really love my nickname and hope it never goes away.

My four kids do not have nicknames. Jonah, Nolan, August and Reta. August could be shortened but Gus sounds like a disease or illness to me so that isn’t gonna happen. ha. I guess one uncle does call Nolan, Fastball. It fits his personality and is a reference to the Texas Rangers pitcher, Nolan Ryan.

14 Christy@SweetandSavoring September 27, 2012 at 9:23 am

Fun topic! I love the idea of nicknames- I’ve been known as Christy Eliz (middle name Elizabeth), Christy Biscuit, Crystals, C Beans (my dad :), Christabelle (mom!) and my sisters call me Tissy, Chris, or Pippy (that one is so random but so cute). My husband calls me Wifey (ha!), and Sweetness & Light, or SNL for short <3

I call my husband Andystew (full name Andrew Stuart), and I also like calling some friends by their first and middle names together- or just their middle name :)

As far as future kids' names, I like some names specifically for their nickname possibilities- Everett/Rhett, Charlotte/Lottie, etc

15 Jenni Bailey September 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

My oldest daughter, Saige, is sometimes Saigeypants. It doesn’t come from anywhere or mean anything but I’m willing to bet she will be Saigeypants for the rest of her life.

16 Sarah B. September 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

I’m Sarah so the only nickname I’ve had was Sarah Sweets and only my Dad ever called me that. My kid’s on the other hand have lots of nicknames given by my husband and I, and their aunts and uncles. We’ve got Trance aka “Monkey-boy”, “Trance-inator” or “”Trance-ylvania”, Addison aka “Stinkerbell”, “Diddisinator”, and “Vada” (her middle name is Vadalynn. Ethen aka “The Boss” and my youngest Ollie is only 4 1/2 months so no nicknames yet, but I’m sure she’ll end up with one or two!

17 Giulia September 27, 2012 at 9:27 am

Well, my blog name was my nickname. We called our daughter Maelle, Majelly Belly and our son Desmond, Dizzy Desi – although, he does insist now at 3.5 that he only be called Desmond.

18 Elizabeth T. September 27, 2012 at 9:27 am

My dad has always called me Blueberry because he says when I was a baby I looked like a plump little berry. Other family members sometimes call me Lizzy, but I love having that special name from my dad. I have a sister named Eleanor, and we usually call her Ellie, but must confess that we also call her Smell or Smellinora.

19 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Smellinora made me laugh.

20 Miranda September 27, 2012 at 9:37 am

My dad was the nick namer in my family, and even shortened our nicknames into double nick names!

The middle three of the six children got the best ones Miranda: Mandunka (or Dunka as a nick nick name), Taylor: Tayjavu (or Vu as a nick nick name), Amelia goes by Emmy: Emmahonka (Honka as a nick nick name).

I remember hanging out with friends in my bedroom in middle school and having my dad call us over the intercom system, “Dunka, Honka, Vu! Come to the kitchen!”

My friends all looked at me like, “Uh, what?”

21 Stefanie September 27, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love nicknames! My daughter was most often “monkey” – it started out as Mommellah which is Yiddish for “little mommy” and is often used to refer to little girls then turned into Monkey then to Monkey Doodle (like magnadoodle) and now it is mostly just “Doodle”

22 Meggan Hayes September 27, 2012 at 9:41 am

I had a brother who gave the wildest nicknames to all the kids in our family (and I have 13 siblings so that is a lot of nicknames). Some of the most interesting…my brother Wes became Vazzerby, my sister Rusti became Hunt (long transformation there that started as Rustic Hunting Lodges), and mine went from Meggan to Wrotsk. As for my own children Mandy is Mandy, McKenzie is Kenz, Donn is Donnie, Melyssa is Lyssa-lou, and Maggie is Miss Maggie. The most interesting thing to me about nicknames is that sometimes they are shorter and sometimes longer than the original name, I guess it’s whatever rolls off the tongue more smoothly. :)

23 simplyblythe September 27, 2012 at 9:41 am

i love those sing-song-y nicknames.
i’ve taken to calling my one year old nephew hoogity-boogity-bo0 (hoogs or hoogity for short), though it’s nothing close to his actual name and i have no idea how or when it came to me, he responds.

24 Helen September 27, 2012 at 9:44 am

My daughters both have nicknames…. Nola is Nolie-Bear and Kira is Kiki-Kookie-Wookie.

Growing up my parents called me Hellie-Wellie (Helen) and my sister Hannie-Fannie (for Hannah). I was happy with mine, my sister hated hers!

My husband’s sister call him Ear-Ache instead of Eric!

25 Cindy Sullivan September 27, 2012 at 9:48 am

I was always called Sis by my parents and sister growing up because I was the baby:-) My husband is called Sully because of our last name. I remember shortly after we were married he referred to me as Sully – I stopped in my tracks and in sunk in that I was a SULLY!!!! Love! So now we both call each other Sully:-) Some of our kids nicknames came from their siblings – Isaac is Ike, David is Dodo or Davo, Caleb is Chabes or Chabiebaby, Levi is Lee but when he is in trouble I say Leviticus (silly but it just sounds really serious ha!) Our only daughter Grace has become Sis or Gracie by friends.

26 Ilene September 27, 2012 at 9:52 am

When I was little I carried a blanket everywhere and loved Charlie Brown so my dad nicknamed me Charlie. Even now 40ish years later he still calls me Charlie (or Charles if he is being formal). Some of his friends don’t even know that is not my real name! At my wedding a million years ago all of my cards from his friends were addressed to Charlie! I like it, it makes me feel special.

27 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Oh. That’s the sweetest thing! I love that his friends only know you as Charlie.

28 Shannon(8foot6) September 27, 2012 at 9:53 am

Our baby Trevor is TREZZIE most of the time…or Trevs, Trevi, Trezz

Actually, I make a point to call him Trevor AT LEAST once a day…but he answers to Trezzie…

29 hyzen September 27, 2012 at 9:54 am

We do extra long and silly nicknames in our house, but each kid has a variety–we haven’t really stuck with just one.

My daughter, Ivy, was “the Bean” when she was a baby (unrelated to the Ivy & Bean books, which I was only vaguely aware of at the time), but then grew into Peanut, Peanutty, or Peanut Butter Pie, or Ivy Ivy Pumpkin Pie-vy, Punky Pie, Punky, Punky Bean, or just Pie. And if all those weren’t bad enough, I’m actually embarrassed about this one every time it comes out of my mouth, but somehow I just can’t help it–Lady Potatey (sometimes mercifully shortened to just “Lady”).

My son, Oliver, often goes by his full first and middle names, but is just as likely to be Ollie J., Ollie Jakers (his middle name starts with J., but is not Jake or anything like that), Buster Brown, Brown Bear, Honey Bear, Baby Bear, or Snoogles (because he likes to snuggle).

Both kids are occasionally also called Snickerdoodle or Snickers, but I guess that’s more of a term of endearment than a specific nickname, since they both answer to it. This is fun now when they are 4 and 1–I’m not sure how long it will be before they try to ix-nay the embarrassing nicknames.

30 Aliesha September 27, 2012 at 9:56 am

My husband and I are both nicknamers. Our daughter was born Allie Marie but is rarely called that. She’s Allie Lou or A-Luna or Luna-Tuna or Lulu or Looney-Tuner or A-Mariesker. And, lately she’s started calling herself “Addie” (she can’t pronounce the Ls yet) and we keep accidentally calling her that too! Funny!

I even sing her a special lullabye every night – Hey Lou (to the tune of Hey Jude). She’s started asking me to sing it for her too (Hey You??) and my heart nearly breaks in two!!!

31 Beth September 27, 2012 at 9:57 am
32 Audrey September 27, 2012 at 9:58 am

I can’t think of a single person that I call by their full given name. I think nicknames are the greatest and a form of endearment. If I don’t give you a nickname, I obviously don’t like you. HA! My oldest daughter Sophie is Goose. Always. She just is a goose. My younger daughter, Clara Louise, has more nicknames than I can count. Her name is just ripe for it. LuLu, ClaraLu, ClaraLuHu, Clarabelle….and then others that fit her personality like Monkey Doodle or Sunshine. It amazes me that my children even know when to answer when I call them. Our dog, Kenzie, is Kenzie Snooter. Our dog, Hubbell, is Hubbalicious (and boy he is!). Why do I do this? I don’t know. Maybe it’s because my name is Audrey and no one ever gave me a nickname even though I wish I had one!!!! Great topic.

33 corrie anne September 27, 2012 at 10:00 am

My dad used to call me Corrie Anniferus. Lol. I love nicknames! When I chose names for my dog.. — it was based on nicknameability– Pippa = Pipperdoodle, Pipsqueak, Philippa, etc! Our other dog is Boydy-Boo. I see nicknames in our future.

34 KelliK September 27, 2012 at 10:04 am

Fun, fun!

Being at the end of a big group of kids has some unexpected benefits. Mom, Dad, little sister and I have created a kind of club with our own special nicknames. The older kids were out of the house and don’t get it. We have Strong, Creative, Gorgeous, and Brilliant. It still makes me smile and feel Gorgeous when I think about it. When I got married this summer, my mom decided I could call him Handsome, but everyone else would call him Brave. It’s kind of nice to have a nickname to officially include new family members!

I had friends and classmates growing up who never were called their own names. Instead, it was Pete, Boss, and Bobby- who I knew as Alan from church! Tripped me up all the time. I had an adult friend who went to live in China for a semester. The Chinese students called her Jules instead of Jessica (too complicated). I think she’s stuck with Jules ever since!

35 julia g blair September 27, 2012 at 10:09 am

Oh, My goodness, what fun memories!!! I don’t remember my mother ever calling any of us by a nickname, but my Dad did. John was “Peter Peanuts” and I was
“sunshine!” One of the delightful nick-name things with my siblings is that
each of my seven brothers has the same middle-name “Holbrook.” My mother’s maiden name. (She was raised in a family with eight sisters). Don’t know if she
ever knew that we all referred to the “Holbrook-Groberg” combination as “Hub- Grub!” My second brother, David’s nick name was the most extravagant and was known by his friends outside the family also. It was “Gazmo Gustineo, Hub Grub,
Chicken Noodle Soup the 24th!” I remember it so clearly!
It has never occurred to me until today that this was a unique Groberg thing. I inherited it for sure! Thanks for the joyful reminder!

36 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I didn’t know “sunshine” was your nickname! It’s a perfect fit.

37 Nicole September 27, 2012 at 10:11 am

I was known as Rufflebutt when I was little – thanks to the frilly diaper covers my mom had me in during the 70′s. In my teen years, my dad would only call me that at the most humiliating times (like when a boyfriend was over). In college I went by Sunny – a nickname my bestie gave me because of the Bobby Hebb song. Everyone knew me as that, even my profs. I’m now MamaMonkey – my son Conor is CocoMonkey. I started singing a CocoMonkey song to him while I was pregnant and we were keeping his name a secret. I also call him ConMan – which is great because as a 3-year-old he already is a master manipulator and gets his way a LOT! For a while I was referring to him as “Il Duce” – but a lot of people didn’t get the fascist dictator reference so I had to stop.

38 Fiona September 27, 2012 at 10:13 am

What I love about nicknames is how you can mark out what stage of life you got to know someone from what they call you. My husband went to two different colleges and he has a nickname from both MP and Goose. When I met him he was Goose, and I had to phone around mutual friends before I confirmed what his real name was. Now everyone just calls him by his name until recently we had a “goose” friend come to stay – my children were so confused.

When we named our 2nd son Nicolas Michael we had all sorts of ideas as to what we were going to call him “Nic-mic”, Nicky, Micky – but his brother immediately mispronounced it to be “Ness” and he’s been Nessie ever since.

39 Caryn September 27, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oh boy, my family is all about nicknames. Some of mine growing up were “Cookie Little,” “Renee” (not even close to my middle name), “Carriebeth,” “Kiki,” “Cay Cay,” and “Riny Renex” (no idea about that one). The only one that has really stuck is “Cay” although I did have a roommate who called me “Care.” My sister’s nickname is usually “Ti,” short for Tina, but I’ve always loved 2 of her others “Giana” (from an aunt) and “Big Bopper” (Saved By The Bell reference, points if you know why!). Her kids already have a bunch of nicknames as does my 5 month old daughter. We purposefully named her with good nickname options built in, although most nicknames are totally random – you had to be there stuff. :) I must be a nickname person as I struggle to not use them even with friends I don’t know well!

40 shadygrove September 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

Oh boy. My dad likes nicknames. My initials are MIB, and I was round and pink as a baby, so initially I was Mibby de Pig. But my dad composed a number of riffs on this: I am nearly 40 years old, but he still calls me The Mibical Pig, the Pibical Mig, and also (often) Pigusmibacalacus Type D. (Really. My dad is a physician. This is my “Latin” name. Yes, he’s a big nerd.) He calls my brother HoGo von GoGo, or sometimes just The Hogoman.

I guess I like nicknames too. My son was the Floppy pretty much from birth. Now he’s 9, and I tend to call him “Squeaky” instead. He was very floppy, but he is not especially squeaky, so I don’t know why I call him that. As long as I don’t call him that in front of his friends, he doesn’t seem to mind.

41 Sally Cage September 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Your Dad is so cute!! Hahaha :)
P.S. My nickname is Squeak or Squeakarooni!

42 Angela September 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

We always have nicknames, and even the nicknames get nicknamed. Our eldest was super colicky, and my husband started calling him “fuss-bucket,” which eventually became plain “Buck.” He is almost 11 and still answers to “Buck” (his name is John); he is also “Scrubber” or “Scrub,” but that is such a long story I can’t tell it here. :> Our other children have similar tales. :>

I think nicknames = endearments, and for us, the more ironic, the more endearing.

43 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm

“even the nicknames get nicknamed”

I love that!

44 Lauren September 27, 2012 at 10:30 am

Growing up my sister and I both had lots of nicknames–I was Wo-wo, Princess Poot Root, or Rashley (my middle name is Ashley). My sister was Hopey-Soapy-on-a-Ropey or Hopey for short. We have three younger brothers, the oldest of whom doesn’t really need a nickname; his given name is Spicer and you don’t really need any added spunk for that! The two youngest normally go by derivatives of their given names “Ti” for John Titus and “Jack” for Jackson. But I sometimes called Ti “Buster Brown” growing up, and Jack is sometimes Jack-Attack.

My husband is in dental school and so my family has taken to calling him Dr. or Dentist Dan. They also liked to call him Dan the Man with a Plan when we were engaged. I love nick-names! They always seem to have a great story or memory behind them and are a fun thing for our family to share. Even our six-month-old daughter London has already gained the moniker Londie-poo. =)

45 Sarah September 27, 2012 at 10:30 am

Nicknames are just a part of life for my family! Although as a “Sarah” I had fewer. My brother Harry was and is the MASTER of nicknames. He always came up with the most ridiculous variations just for the fun of it, but throw them into casual conversation. He gave my sister the nick name “Larry Dan.” For years they have been coming up with variations, basically anything that rhymes with “Larry Dan.” Gary fan, Betty Wan, Doodley Pan….
Perhaps taking nicknames a step further, we also had 19th century british alter-ego’s. Anytime anyone new married into the family the got one. Marjory, Elspeth, Sophie, Beatrice, Bernard, Agustus, Barnaby, Prudence……

46 Sara Steinke September 27, 2012 at 10:32 am

I always felt a little sad I never had a nickname growing up. So I’ve made certain each of my three girls had one. Bug, Lala (or La or Lally P or P as her dad has shortened it to), and last but not least Boo-Boo-Chicken-Noodle-Soup-With-Cheese-And-Crackers-Who’s-Purdy (NOT “pretty” but “purdy” and she’ll point that out too). She will also answer to Boo-Boo and, unfortunatley (I think), Chicken.

My husband has dubbed me “Nut” – because he’s pretty sure I have my own special brand of crazy. My parents are always offended for me when they hear him call me Nut, but they don’t know about all our private moments and inside jokes that make that nickname ok (and even GOOD) with me.

47 Kimberly September 27, 2012 at 11:04 am

I’m born and raised in the upper midwest (North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota area). People here LOVE to shorten names. My name, Kimberly is constantly shortened to “Kim” and I’ve always preferred Kimberly. I’ve never had a nickname that stuck otherwise. It’s interesting how where you live plays into things.

48 Another Kimberly September 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I’m always stomping out “Kimmy” and the occasional “Kimmer” which makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

49 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’m sure that’s so true, Kimberly. It would be fun to see some kind of map that showed nickname density from region to region. : )

50 Tracy September 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

My in-laws love nicknames too. We didn’t really have in my family, but my husband is great at putting them together for our kids. His sister was called Head growing up because they all thought she had a big head…and with our family he has nicknamed me, Madre cum Ladre (even before I was a mom), my son is Jacumo for Jack, and our daughter Ella was called the Cloven Hoof Princess. That has nothing to do with her name, but she was born with some foot issues, hence the name. However, she is developing just fine. I just think it is funny what he comes up with!

51 SarahBeth September 27, 2012 at 11:26 am

My head was spinning trying to keep up with all of Dostoevsky’s nicknames! So thankful for the glossary at the beginning of the book — without it I would surely have given up.

My daughter, Eloise Joyce, is often called “Joycie”, “Lou” and “Louie”. Shortly after her birth the unfortunate nickname, “Smelloise,” was also born. Looking back, it’s a horrid nickname, but somehow seemed endearing when she was a tiny baby.

52 TracieMcOB September 27, 2012 at 11:29 am

As a kid, one of my friends called me Trae and I called her Kimmer (Kimberly). Both stuck and to this day, that is what we call each other. (she married my brother – Terrence McGillicudy (Terry)) My sons are mijo and osito, (little bear) or Andrew Mandrew and Connor Bear (he’s 18 and 6’2″ and he lets me get away with that) Recently we ran into a old friend that hasn’t seen him since he was 2 – 1st thing he greeted him with was “Connor Bear”! Priceless. My sis-in-law, Kimmer, her father nicknames all his grand kids . fun, fun

53 pinay tambayan March 20, 2014 at 3:42 pm

hi
I was Pookaloo or Pipparinapicccolo.

54 Dee September 27, 2012 at 11:30 am

My husband, kids and I all have nicknames. The kiddos have several each from us, and then different sets used by their grandparents and uncles. My two year old has the distinction of having the longest nickname in our family…it’s six words, and has to be sung! My husband is a master nicknamer and has given several of his friends (and me, when we were dating) nicknames as adults. They have all stuck. :)

55 TracieMcOB September 27, 2012 at 11:33 am

oh I almost forget a classic – My Aunt couldn’t say “sissy” when she was little so she ended up calling my mother, her older sister, “Tiddy”. As adults, when they would be out shopping or such, she would call her “tiddy, dear.” My mom thought people were expecting this buxom woman to come by!! My aunt even had the nickname engraved on a bowling ball. I forgot about this until you asked about nicknames. I love that you do that. Your questions always bring back such wonderful memories. Thank you!

56 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

When my niece Zella was a baby, she couldn’t pronounce my sister Jordan and brother Salem’s names. The closest she got was Nornoh and Eeyah. For years, Nornoh and Eeyah stuck!

57 Laura September 27, 2012 at 11:39 am

But isn’t June sort of a nickname for her? Her first name is Flora and her middle name is June, correct? I sort of view going by a middle name as being a nickname. And out of curiosity, why did you not give her June as a first name?

58 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm

We thought about going with June Flora, but we didn’t like the flow of the name. We felt like it sounded better as Flora June. But we knew all along we wanted to call her June.

Someday, I’ll have to write out the story of each of their names.

59 Morgan September 27, 2012 at 11:41 am

I love nicknames!! I went bowling with some friends as a teenager and they tried to write my name on the electronic board but only “Morga” fit, so that has stuck with friends and family alike. One of my best friend’s name is Janell and I came up with lots of fun ones for her, including Penelope, Panells, Nels, Nelly, Nelsy, Nelsy-poo, and Valerie. Don’t ask me where that came from. But I still call her all of those to this day. My sister Whitney is Whittles or Whit. My nephew Joel is Joelie. My husband’s name is Nate, and some of his are Nateles, Nater-tots, Nate-a-liscious. My son Sayer was Sayer-bayer-baby for a long time, and now it’s been shortened to Say-bay, or just Say, or Saya-Baya. My youngest calls him Say-say, so that has stuck too. My son Bart is Barty, Barty-warty, Bartles, Barticus, Bart-a-ly-boo, and more which I can’t think of at the moment. I love nicknames though. There is just something so endearing about them, and it says so much about the person giving the nickname, as well as the one getting the nickname. :)

60 kockey September 27, 2012 at 11:46 am

I am the youngest of 5. My oldest brother who is 9 years older than me gave me a number of nicknames. I was a happy chubby little girl who giggled all the time – some nicknames that have stuck are Gigs, Baby Gut Gay and Bloat. As a 42 year old, Gigs is fine – Baby Gut Gay and Bloat, not so much!

He has given his own children very fitting nicknames – Spuds, Buddy, Toady and Beep. If you were to meet my nieces and nephews, you would see the nicknames fit – at least he has been more considerate with his own children. What are older brother for? other than to continually torment their kid sister into her forties?

61 Kace September 27, 2012 at 11:52 am

My husband and I decided that we wanted our daughter to have a name that sounded like minor European nobility (you know, in case the Hapsburgs come a’knockin’!), so her full name is Louisa Marie-Josephine. But, we call her “Lulu” for short and I think it’s perfect for a little girl. As she grows up, she has the option of going by Louisa, but for us, she’ll always be lil Lulu. :)

62 Hayley September 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh, nicknames! Growing up, my initials were HAM, so family called me Hambone – which was ironic, because I was the boniest, skinniest kid! Only every now and then do I get called that.

My kids are Kaylynn (almost 4) and Ben (almost 2). Ben couldn’t say Kaylynn for a while, but called her “Nay-Nay”. We catch ourselves calling her that from time to time. Even though I know she’ll hate growing up with that name. We also call her Kaylynnikins, or Kaylynn Noel-ey (like singing the Baby Beluga song, except Kaylynn Noel-ey). She even thinks her middle name is pronounced that way!

For Ben (Benjamin), Ben is an obvious one, but he has been Ben-Jammin (because saw it spelled Benjammin in a baby book once), Benny-Wenny-Boo-Boo-Boo (from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days), Benny, Benny-Boo, or just Boo.

63 Ellen W September 28, 2012 at 7:37 am

My Ben’s nickname is also Boo which comes from the Halloween pjs he wore as a baby that had BOO written on the shirt with a ghost.

64 Hayley September 28, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Oh, and I forgot. Thing 1 & Thing 2. They know which one they are!

65 ck September 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Oh, so many so far. She’s still only 2. Poopopolis. Bee’chen. Piglet. The noodle. Angel bottom. Moomoo. Each one is right for a different moment. And she insists that her actual name is Tinkerbell Princess Fairy Mermaid Glühwürmchen (German for Firefly). She will freak out if we try to call her by her given name. It’s especially difficult since no Americans can pronounce Glühwürmchen.

66 Lacey September 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I love nicknames! My name is Lacey, and everyone always calls me Lace. As far as my kids, they all have a nickname too. Horacio is “Nuny”, Ernesto is “Nesto”, Karla is “Narda”, Cade is “Boog”, Sawyer is “Saw” or “Saw Saw”, Asher is “Ash” or “Asher Dasher”, and Sadie is “Sadie Girl.” My kids love that they have a special name just for them, and something that just those closests to them use. I always felt special when those I loved called me Lace, and I think my kids feel the same. I hope they like it, all the names have stuck and it’s going to be hard to stop now!

67 Kate Littlemore September 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

My children don’t have nicknames but my siblings and I have:
I was Flo, not sure why but when I named by daughter we picked Madeleine Florence, it sounded better than using Kathryn as a middle name and I wanted her middle name to mean something.
My next sister was Sard (I couldn’t say Sara when she was born and I still call her this), everyone else calls her Tweaky!
My brother Simon is called Prim (short for Primrose – not sure why!) and our baby sister, Laura is Poppet because she was such a Poppet.
I love nicknames!
There is another weird naming convention in our family. My father was one of four and he and my aunt and uncles all called their parents by their first names: Betsy and Albert. Never Mum, Dad, Ma or Pa! Mind you their nicknames were: Prof, Tank, Our Kid and Janey?!

68 Eva September 27, 2012 at 10:48 pm

“Our Kid,” That’s great.

69 Ann September 27, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Conor is CBiscuit and Conor the Bomber
Devan is Devan the Destroyer (more when he was little) and Devi more now.
We had nicknames growing up that stuck too. This was a fun story.

70 julia g blair September 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Before I hear from my siblings that I really am losing it, I need to let you know that
I do remember that my brother, David’s nick-name was “Guss.” It was the
shortened form of “Guzmo Gusstineo, Hub Grub, Chicken noodle Soup the 24th.”
Wonder if anyone still calls him “Guss!”

Also, the Russian language (If I remember right!)
has marvelous endings for names that express logical terms of endearment. This is wonderful of course, but maybe lacks some of the creativity we have access to in Good Ole English!

71 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm

“Guzmo Gusstineo, Hub Grub, Chicken noodle Soup the 24th” is definitely the coolest nickname I’ve ever heard.

72 Crystal September 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm

My name is Crystal Dawn. Growing up my aunts called me Crystal Donkey (Dawn-key). Then my younger cousins couldn’t pronounce Crystal and started calling me Kiki, which stuck for a long time (some family members still call me that). In college, I got the unfortunate nickname, Monkey, which my college friends still call me.

My kids are Anna-Banana and Chase-bo-base/Chasilberryfin/Chasey.

I use to hate my nicknames but now I grow nostalgic anytime someone calls me by one of my nicknames.

73 hillary September 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm

My in-laws are serious nicknamers. Everyone in their family has about 10 nicknames, some of which seem to have very little to do with their given name. My husband, for example, was called Pete throughout his childhood (his name is not, nor has it ever been, Peter, Pete, or anything even starting with a P). Viola is called Dolly, Lydia is Lee, Byron is Bunny, etc. Many are called nicknames of their middle name (i.e. Michael Benjamin is called Benji). It took me forever when we were first dating to keep it all straight.

My family is almost the polar opposite! Those with nicknames were given them as given names (i.e. Jerry instead of Gerald). My sister and I were occasionally called pet names by our parents but we didn’t have any long-standing nicknames that became part of our identities. I find that I am not much of a nicknamer either. I chose my kids’ names because I liked them, not because I wanted them to be called something different!

74 Rachel Lyn September 27, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Our family was never big into nicknames, but I remember in highschool there were several people I only knew by their nicknames. One kid was Tuna, and I never did know what his real name was. A really good friend was Fuzz, so it always took my friends and me a while to realize who someone was talking about if they ever used his real name.

75 sandra September 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Oh my….. nickname. From day one, my Dad called me “Pookie”. Some people in my hometown to this day (and I am 51) do not know my “real” name. Even had it on my cheerleader uniform. When I went off to college… thought it would be gone. My two roomies were from my hometown so it stayed. To this day……. many still call me “Pookie”. Except my hubby – he met “Sandra” in college and has always called me by that name.

76 Grania September 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Mine is also a difficult name for a nickname only shortend to Grani or Granit (German for Granite! ??), my youngest brother Philip was caled Pippa, my husband Stephan was shortend to Steffi (actually the shortend form of Stefanie – see Steffi Graf) . But I love giving Nicknames to my kids. Conrads is Küg (short for Kügelchen -tiny ball -due to my huge bump whilst pregnant) but also Con, Concon, Conradinus etc. Lynn is Bimmi, or Bimchen stemming from “Bim”, coined by a neighbours daughter, who couldn’t pronounce Lynn, or Toni from her secoond name Antonia…

77 LauraLake September 27, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Both my husband and I just give out nicknames like crazy, I don’t know why we do, it just happens. Samuel became Sammy, then just Sam, then Sambo, then Bones from his dad, and Bowdie from me…and now little brother calls him Woah Woah (bro bro). Hadley became Haddy, then Haddy Bean, then Beanie, or Haddy Sue, which was shortened to just Sue, then Susie…
Miles became Milo, then Mo, then Moby or Moses, and he calls himself Mo Mo.
Maybe we’re a little nickname crazy. But I do think it’s interesting to see how those things evolve over time.

78 Teresa Coates September 27, 2012 at 1:47 pm

My GuyFriend calls me Ruckus (and Rucks) because I tend to be a little, uh, loud. I accidentally slam doors, drop things, trip, etc. far too often. It started soon after we started dating and I wasn’t flattered by it, but two years later I find it endearing.

He calls my daughter Drama. She’s 14 yo, that pretty much explains the reasoning there. ;)

79 Jeanette September 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Some of my own nicknames include: Jennamanoo, Nettie Betty, JJ, Jean, or Jeanette la baguette de la boulangerie (this is one my roomie gave me because I’m a Francophile!).

80 Leigh Ann September 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm

My mom used to call me Tigger because I bounced around everywhere. My girls are Claire/Claire-Bear, Rachel/Rachey/Rachey Pachey/Pachey, and Zoe/ZoZo/ZoZoBean/ZoBanks/Z-Meister. She definitely has the most. :)

81 courtney September 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm

But of course! I think it would be weird to NOT have nicknames!

I was Buggy as a child. My husband was Sparky. Sparky and Buggy married and had Zoe (Zozo, Zo, Zoo-eee, Zo-bird, ZZ, Z, ZZ Top, Zoes Toes, and many many more, probably the most fun name ever) and Charlie (Chars, Charchie, Cha Cha, Chaz, Chuckie, C-Man, Charlie Brown, Little C-Buddy)

82 M. Peterson September 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm

My children pretty much have no reason to know their real names. My daughter, Amelia (4), answers to all of the following: Mim, Mimmy, Midge, Midgie, Smidge, Smadge, Snug, Snuggy, Snuglette, Amy, Amy-Grace, Milly, Mizzy, Misery, Snoodle, Snoodlebug, and Baby (though she’s rebelling against that one these days, while I’m trying to keep it in rotation ala Dirty Dancing). I’m sure there are more. My son, August (16m), will already answer to: Gus, Gussy, Goose, Goo-goo, Deuce, Deucey, Doodle, Doodlebug, Doodlebear, Dew, Dewey, Bug, Buggy, Buggaboo, Buggadoo, Buggy-doodle, Guss-a-lump, Fuss-a-lump, Fuss-a-Gus, and Diapers.

83 Design Mom September 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I’m dying over your lists! So adorable.

84 M. Peterson September 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Thanks! My family thinks I’m crazy, especially since I made a pretty big stink about them NOT calling my daughter “Mia”. I just don’t like it. But they’re all like “and yet you call her Mizzy…???”

85 Annie September 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm

My dad’s side of the family is Italian, so there were a whole lot of nicknames in their family. As a result, my dad’s given us a fair amount of nicknames–mine at home is Belle. And technically, my name is Anne, but I think of myself much more as Annie.
Outside of home, I don’t tend to make up a lot of nicknames. I think it’s something you really can’t force; it’s got to happen naturally.

86 Katie September 27, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I call my youngest Gigi. It’s short for “Grumpy Greta.” She has a more sensitive, tender and grumpy personality. I needed to laugh about it, so I called 4pm onwards “Gigi hour.” And the nickname “Gigi” is sticking, for now. She’s only one a half after all.

87 amanda jane September 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I think nickname either naturally occur or they don’t. my dad called most of us by the same nick name and it wasn’t til I was a teen that I realized he was calling my younger sibs the same name. that I vowed I would never do!
but that being said our first daughter is Grace and will often go by Gracie or babe, otherwise not much happening there. where as our second daughter is Ella – Ella Bella, Girl Ella (gorilla), Ella font , my husband has loved playing with her name. our third is a Ruby and aside from Ruby two shoes, and Rub a dub girl and maybe Rubs, I am not sure any of those will stick forever. now our fourth, due in December, will be a fourth generation John – and he will forever be known as Jack, because you can only handle so many John’s in one family and five is more than we really need to keep track of! will be fun to see if anything develops from there. fun food for thought!

88 Kari September 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm

My brother had a girlfriend named Jessica, but no one knew her as that. Everyone called her Jecca. When she was born, her brother pronounced Jessica as Jecca, and it stuck.

89 Jennifer O. September 27, 2012 at 3:28 pm

My name is Jennifer. I always introduce myself as Jennifer, not Jen or Jenny. My mother always insisted that we not shorten our names (she named us Jennifer, Melissa, Catherine, Patrick, and Daniel, some of the most shorten-able names out there but we mostly all go by our full names). But my nicknames have included Shmogen, Jiffer, Fers, Jinx, Jennyferry, Juju, Jude, Number One, Jodom, and a few people call me Jen. I know exactly who gave me each one. I am NEVER Jenny, except my baby brother called me that for a little while (and my old boss randomly called me Jenny from the block).

90 Melinda September 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm

My daughter was very small when she was born and I said something about her being a pipsqueak when she was only three days old. It stuck and we began calling her Pippy, Pip, Pippa, etc. She’s now eight years old and goes by her given name at school and church, but in our home she’s mostly Pip. And she’s still pretty small.

91 Anné September 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I was nicknamed “Pumpkin Eater” by my parents when I was small for reasons that I’m not exactly sure of. So to keep it a little shorter I was always “P.E.” to them. It was funny when my husband first came to dinner and my mom called “P.E.” to help her in the kitchen. He was very confused when I got up to help!

I’ve always wanted to give my children longer names so they can have nicknames and still have a “professional” name in a business setting. I think nicknames are very personal and something only your closest friends and family should call you. It makes it special that way. :)

92 Summer September 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm

My brother Jonathan couldn’t say my brother Andrew’s name when he was a toddler, and so called him Ange-oo. Which eventually morphed into Angie, or Ange. But that is strictly a family nickname. He goes by Andy usually, which is funny because my mom was really opposed to the name because she didn’t like the nickname Andy. But apparently it was my Dad’s “turn” to name the baby (Andrew is #5 of 7). And my brother Philip is called Uncle Philly-dill by all of his nieces and nephews.
My daughter Eleanor is usually called Ellie, but my favorite nickname for her is Ellie-Ellie-Jelly-Belly, which sometimes is just Jelly Bean. And our youngest Clara is frequently called Clara-bear, though Ellie usually just calls her “My Baby.”

93 norah September 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm

My daughter Ramona answers RJ, RamJam, Momo, Mo, Mona, Monie, and Peanut. I was mortified when she started calling herself Momo because her 2 year old voice and way of speaking made her sound like a cavewoman. MOMO HUNGRY!

94 Monica Danna September 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm

There was this large italian family when I was in high school, the Sparacinos. And I’ll never forget that every single one has a nickname that meant something special. We memorized the order like a nursery rhyme and I still remember it to this day!

Angie, Razzy, Seppie, Petey, Reesie, Lombardi, Lacey, Mamie, Ashby, and Spud!

I always remembered having such fond memories of that family. There were so unique. :0)

95 Sally Cage September 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Cute topic!

A LOT of nicknames in my life!

For some reason my Dad has always called me “Squeak” – I’m 30 now and he still calls me that, and sometimes “Squeak-a-rooni”. I love it :)

Most common nickname is Sal (which most people call me), I get Aunty Sal from nieces & nephews, and friends from highschool call me Sal, Salvatore, Salvacore, Salamander, Sally Jessy Raphael. I have one friend in particular and we call each other “Bunchie” or “Bunch” or “Bunches” (which originally came from honeybunch and stuck!).

My husband Matt & I call eachother “Bunny” or “Buns”, and so some people in his family call us this too :) (Sally Bunny or Matty Bunny)

My husband’s grandmother calls me “Sally Dear” :)

….and finally, most of my husband’s immediate family (who are all hilarious!) call me “Sarri Wirri-am-su-dess” which is how you pronounce my maiden name (Sally Williams) in Japanese!! My husband’s sister, brother, and Dad pretty much only call me this :)

96 Sally Cage September 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm

One other thing – until I was about 12, I actually thought my great-grandmother’s name was Sylvia, because everyone in the family called her “Silv” – but I was shocked to learn her name was actually Rita, and people started calling her Silv when she got lovely silver hair at a pretty young age. Funny!

97 Amy September 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm

We’ve got Tom-a-lom-a-ding-dong who is also known as TomTom dot com (he loves computers) or Hanse (as in, short for Handsome). We also have Sarah Bear, aka Sunshine Girl or Punk (as in, short for Punkin Pie). And my husband and I call each other Bean. My family all had long, singsongy nicknames when I was growing up — I loved it!

98 kalanicut September 27, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Ah, I can’t imagine no nicknames. It’s not too late. I can just imagine your family planning some cheery event to gather around the table and discuss this. So cute.

My sisters and I apparently are nickname people. Everywhere we go we get nicknames. In my family we have nicknames that have evolved from nicknames. One of my sister’s best nicknames happened because our mom made a typo of my sister’s original nickname on her “About Me” poster in grade school.

My blog name is from a nickname. Every time I play sports with a bunch of guys, wherever it is, they start calling me Special K and it sticks. Now that I have my own little clan, I think we each have at least 5-10 nicknames. My current favorite for The Bug (her blog nickname) is ScribbleScrabble – a hilarious word she made up when she saw Elmo scribbling on a DVD.

99 Ginny W September 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm

My parents gave my 2 sisters and I names that couldn’t be shortened but they would add on terms of endearment to our names. For example, I was Ginny-boo, Ginny-honey. My sisters were the same with their names- April and Emily.
My daughter Amelia goes by goose (my husband called her that because she always was smiling and laughing-as in silly goose). When he brother came along he called her Mimi. Sometimes she gets Amelia-Bedelia (one of my favorites. When she was a baby she was babygirl.
My son’s name is Roxton. He gets called Roxstar, knucklehead. When he was a baby I called him Stinkerdoodle.

100 Emily Bennett September 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm

How fun! I was Priss when I was little and then when I was in my late teens, my baby bro was a toddler and he could only manage to call me ‘We’ and that is the one that stuck. My family calls me that and the neices call me ‘Aunt We’. (Also, In high school, I called my friend Steven ‘Stu’ and it caught on. Everyone still calls him that.) When we were in the process of adopting our daughter her name was Luna, which we liked. Unfortunately, the nicknames are all unattractive – Luna-tick, Luna-Tuna, and Luna-Balloona. So we went with Lucy, instead. And we call her Goose or Lulu.

101 Esther September 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I also love the idea of nicknames! I wish I had one, but there isn’t much to do with the first name Esther. We call our son Jacob “Jake-the-Snake.” Our soon to be born daughter has a name that has no nicknames. We’ll see what we come up with. I tried to call my husband Pip (his name is Philip) but it never stuck.

102 Shannon { A Mom's Year } September 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Fun question! Our daughter actually got her name from her nickname. During the long two years of the adoption process, my mother-in-law started calling her “lilypad” and the Lily part stuck when we finally got to bring her home!

We still call our 13-year-old son “Mouse” from Mem Fox’s “Time for Bed” (“It’s time for bed, little mouse, little mouse”), Lexie is “Lou Bird,” and I call Will “Willoughby” because of Jane Austen.

103 Alexis September 27, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Oh how I love nicknames! They seem so endearing and loving to me. I chose my girls names with the intention of also using a nickname. Hadley is Haddie or Haddie-Boom-Ba-Laddy. Mallory is Mally or Moo-Moo-Licious. Audrey is Ree Ree. Brinkley is Baby Bea or Brinky-Dink.
Get this….my mother-in-law is legally Linda. For some reason her family started calling her Nicki. Now she goes by that!

104 Jennifer Rodgers September 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm

We specifically gave our boys names that could not be nick-named. So Hugo and Malcolm are referred to by their full names. Occasionally, we will call Malcolm “Mac” or “Mac Attack”. Having grown up with a super popular name myself (Jennifer), that could be nicknamed all kinds of ways, I was adamant that our kids names would be just that.

105 Darci September 27, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I gave my older daughter nicknames that were longer than her given name of Evan. I call her: Ev, Evie, Evelyn, and EvaLinda
I called both kids Gooby as infants. It was short for ‘good baby’
So the 2 nd daughter is called Gooby girl, goobs, gooberini, goob-it, Gooby doobie do. Her name is Jillian, she goes by Jill. I also call her Gigi, jilly, jilly-Ana.
My husband hates most of those names, he sticks with Ev and Gigi

106 mom in mendon September 27, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I agree with those who say nicknames = endearments. It’s a language all its own within the family, a kind of intimacy. As one commenter wrote: we have “created a kind of club with our own special nicknames.” If the names spill out into public life, that merely extends the love.

PS: I’ve learned to make sure “legal names” appear on important documents so I’m not creating chaos at some future date.

107 Eva September 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I’ve been calling my younger brother “Boy” for seventeen years. Before that I called him “FouFou,” I haven’t used his actual name regularly since I was thirteen and he was nine. Only enough I don’t have nick names for my other siblings. My kids though, they all have multiple nick names.

108 pam September 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I’ve been called, Pamie, Pam-a-lam-a-ding-dong, Spam.

My kids-
Greta: G-girl, G-love, Gretie, Gretie-spaghetti
Elsa: Elle and E
Stuart: Stuey, Stu, Studabaker, Kicker (when he was in my tummy).

Fun to read so many nicknames!

109 Lamchops September 27, 2012 at 10:48 pm

How funny that you mentioned “GABBY” because when I tell people about your blog I have a habit of saying, “you know, Gabby S******, it’s her blog” (Awesome isn’t it). My mom hated nick-names. I guess she was really worried that we would not be known for who we are. What ever! Love mom & yet the nick names are still around. We have Rach, Nella, Sambodia, Verney wormy, Treese, La la, Eenie tiny & Nate. But do NOT ever call my oldest bro. Chuck or he might just kick-your-butt! Funny since he is the one who made up some of the other nick-names…Hmm. Ha ha. Isn’t family just grand.

110 Lamchops September 27, 2012 at 10:53 pm

My own kitlens are all their own. Randalloo, Lukie-pukie, Sassy & Coop.

111 Phillippa September 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I was Pookaloo or Pipparinapicccolo. My son Cameron is Cama-Rama-door-slammer. Nicknames are so special and can connect you to the best times in your life, to people who care and love you regardless.

112 suzzanne September 27, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I love this post. No one knows my sons nickname except him and my husband. I guess because it makes no sense and it just popped in my head one day while I was feeding him. His name is Noah and his nickname is “Nova Scotia” :). I dont know why but it sounds a lot like Noah so he responds to both.

On a side note I would really like to visit Nova Scotia, now that I can geographically place it on a map.

My other name is “susana-banana”. Thanks to my sister whom had a hard time pronouncing my name. To this day some 25 years later “banana” is still used and I still respond :).

113 Sarah W September 27, 2012 at 11:59 pm

My daughter’s name is Michal, and her nickname is Doodles. I started calling her Sweetly-Doo when she was a baby, and my husband shortened it to Doodles. I didn’t really like it at first, but now I do, and it’s what we call her a lot of the time. She went through a stage where she didn’t like it, and we tried really hard not to call her that, but then one day she said she didn’t mind it anymore and so we still use it. She’s 3 (almost 4), so we’ll see how long she lets us call her that. :) My husband also calls her Munchkin which I think is cute.

My mom’s nickname as a kid was Toadie, because one day when my grandfather came home from work she was playing in one of the kitchen cupboards with only her (bare) bum sticking out and he said “I think we have a little toadie in the house”. I think it is the cutest story/nickname.

I actually know quite a few people who have been given nicknames as adults that stuck. One that comes to mind is a friend from college who my husband nicknamed Cupcake because one spring break, his girlfriend (also a friend of ours), kept smelling cupcakes, and then saying how much she missed her boyfriend, and my husband said maybe she was smelling cupcakes because she missed her Cupcake. Funny how these things happen isn’t it?

114 Kelly @ Studio DIY September 28, 2012 at 12:52 am

I love nicknames! I never really had one (other than Kel… boring!) so it’s something I always think about when I hear a new name I like for a someday child. I can say that my dog has about 100 nicknames though, guess my future kids are doomed! ;)

115 Tanja September 28, 2012 at 1:38 am

I love nicknames! Mine is “Schnuppstern” from Sternschnuppe which means shooting star in english. My son is “Mucki” (the u spoken like in doodle) – no translation, because it’s not really a word – and my daughters are “Die Prinzessin” und “Frau Klitzeklein” in german. Would be translated “the princess” and something like “Miss Itsy-Bitsy”.

116 Caro September 28, 2012 at 1:57 am

Since childhood my dad calls me Doré (french for golden) as a french co-worker of him exclaimed when he saw me the first time “Ah – tu as une fille dorée!” (You have a golden daughter).
My two boys – now 3 and 5 – have nick-named ME: they call me “Mimi”

117 Abby K September 28, 2012 at 2:09 am

My friend in college was pulled up on stage for an orientation concert comedy. The guy leading it jokingly called him Squirrel and said, “Ok well this is your new nick name. Everyone call this guy Squirrel.” Well it stuck and fortunately he liked it. It’s now six years later and his wife still uses the nick name!

118 Karen P. September 28, 2012 at 4:06 am

My friends sometimes call me by my initials – KP. When I was a teen, one of the people I babysat for sent me a note and misspelled my name: KINREN. It’s been an inside joke with my brother ever since. He stills calls Kinren from time to time.

119 Tilly September 28, 2012 at 5:17 am

Which one is Ben in the photo? The smallest boy on his dad’s lap??

120 Betsy September 28, 2012 at 6:49 am

We love nicknames in our family. I am Boo, Bootie or B. My son is Sammyboy, Sammylamby, Bubs, sweet boy or dudeski. My poor hubby doesn’t have one, I call him love.

121 Gina September 28, 2012 at 7:30 am

I love this post! So interesting that your generation is the reverse. We’re the same but a mirror of your story. My parents were very proud that they carefully chose names for both myself and my siblings that would be nickname free, short names. Like June + Maud — 4 letter names and none of us ever, ever had nicknames. I always liked this idea but with our three children, we did the opposite: all have long names with definitely nicknames – nicknames that sometimes almost replace their given name. Nice post!