Heavenly Day

September 3, 2012

Elizabeth left a link to this video in the comments and I wanted to share it immediately. It had me tearing up, and wanting to live with a greater measure of patience.

Do you have a child with a disability? If you could speak to yourself the day you received the diagnosis, what words would you share?

1 Lynn September 3, 2012 at 7:30 am

I think you’d like this blog too:

2 Blair Kawa September 3, 2012 at 7:46 am

Incredible. We are expecting our first baby – a son – in a few weeks… we don’t expect disabilities, but it’s possible. This was a special encouragment to me.

3 Elisabeth Schulz September 3, 2012 at 8:57 am

Thank you. This video has touched me deeply, and is just what I needed to hear today.

4 susan September 3, 2012 at 9:03 am

I have 6 kids, 3 with disabilities and my advice is:
Enjoy life, enjoy your kids and listen to your heart even when the “experts” think they know best. Parenting any child takes effort!

5 Chris Olson September 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

oh my. i am still crying. as a mom of two teens with disabilities, thank you for sharing. xo

6 Elizabeth September 3, 2012 at 9:17 am

Thank you so much for doing this. We had so hoped our little video would get a viewing — I really appreciate it –

7 Patty September 3, 2012 at 9:22 am

I just don’t agree with: “praying to the same God/Savior who put you in this position is futile, no?”
My daughter has special needs and she is a GIFT FROM GOD that makes us better people. And I need his help every day to be a good mom to her.
Otherwise I really enjoyed it!

8 Tasha September 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm

That caught my attention too, though I understand the point made as well.

9 Zoey's mom September 3, 2012 at 9:54 am

As one of the parent’s featured in the video, I would like to thank you for putting this beautiful labor of love our there in the world. I was so honored to be part of this vision of my amazing friend Elizabeth and it is our sincere hope that our journeys and the words spoken from our heart will in somehow, someway benefit other parents traveling a parallel road. I truly believe it will.

10 Elizabeth September 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

Patty, thank you for your comment. I thought it was important to include slides of the vastly different experiences out there of those parenting children with disabilities. As I know some of them personally (and most I don’t know at all!), I know that there are evangelical Christians, Jews and atheists mixed in. I hope that no matter one’s religious affiliation or lack of, there is a message of hope and love inherent in the video.

11 Claire September 3, 2012 at 11:09 am

thank you to Elizabeth, and to each and every parent in the video for sharing this. Sometimes intenet does really connect us all.

12 Kathryn h September 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

I would tell myself that being told my daughter was autistic was not the end of the world. In fact it was the beginning of the world we now know. I would tell myself that my daughter is still the same child she was before the diagnosis and I could not love her more. I would tell myself to stand by because I was about to learn a whole lot about the world around me and a whole lot more about what love really is. I would tell myself that the child in front of me is the smartest, funniest, craziest, sweetest and happiest child I could have hoped for.

13 Lisa September 4, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Nice :-)

14 Theresa September 3, 2012 at 11:49 am

Yes, I know Elizabeth, I know Sophie, it is very beautiful and so touching.

15 Miggy September 3, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I would tell myself, “Love will carry you through and it’s the exact same love you already know as a mother. You will learn that you don’t love your children because they’re gifted, smart, beautiful, clever or even able-bodied….you love them because they’re YOURS. All they have to do is show up.”

Great video Elizabeth.

16 Chris Olson September 3, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I saw the video on your blog this morning and I was so choked up by the powerful message of this video I couldn’t answer your question. Now I’ll try to put it into words. Here is what has held me up the past 12 plus years: Thank goodness for friends and family. If I could share one thing, don’t go it alone. Asking for help is the best thing to do. Having a little faith in your kids makes all the difference too. They are stronger, braver, and wiser than you ever thought possible. There is a community of moms and dads (and grandparents) out there going through many of the same emotions and struggles as you. Seek them out. These exceptional parents can hold your hand when words just don’t say enough. xo

17 nicole i September 3, 2012 at 7:07 pm

To myself, I would say, ” You will be a better person and a better parent because of this…hold on for your story is just unfolding.” and I would also say, “God has prepared you for this task, for this journey and for this life…and it will be a good blessed life.”

18 nicky September 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Miggy- I think what you said is perfect!
I would add “You can do hard things.” Because sometimes it all gets to be too much and even the easy things you took for granted are no longer easy.
I also loved the sign about understanding that you can feel joy and sorrow at the same time- they aren’t mutually exclusive.
Thank you for sharing this!

19 Amanda September 3, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Elizabeth and Gabrielle,

Thank you for sharing this precious video! As a momma-to-be in January, I feel encouraged and blessed.

20 Angeerah September 4, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thank you for this. Our son was diagnosed with autism and it’s been a bit of a struggle. What everyone said: all true. And it might not be Italy, but Holland is pretty spectacular: http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html

21 Beth September 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

I loved this. I often get emails from parents dealing with a new diagnosis and I’m definitely adding this to my message back to them. I wrote this as an answer to some of the emails about a year ago–the letter I wish would have been included in my diagnosis paperwork. http://vermillionrules.blogspot.com/2011/09/missing-letter.html Maybe it will help someone.

22 julia [life on churchill] September 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I love this. Our little guy was diagnosed on the autism spectrum a few months ago. If I could have written something to myself that first day its “you don’t have to journey this alone anymore” and “God you are good.”

23 Sara September 5, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Watching this made me sob to the point of loosing my breath. Thank you so much for sharing. I think I would tell myself that no one will ever love him as much as I do, always trust your instinct, and ask for help and you will always find it.

24 Jane September 6, 2012 at 7:22 am

Wow, this is timely….and beautiful. Thank you.

25 Natalie September 11, 2012 at 9:44 am

You always share wonderful things… this is definitely one of the top. A good reminder to all parents, and all people who love and feel scared sometimes.