Greta de Parry

September 6, 2012

Photo credit ©Alyssa Miserendino.

When I think of a wood worker, I imagine carpenter pants, flannel, and perhaps even a beard. But then there’s Greta de Parry.

She doesn’t brag, but if she did she might tell you that she graduated from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and was accepted as the sole artist in residence in a post-graduate program. Among other perks and apprentice opportunities, this means she earns a small stipend to create anything she wants!

Her work is matter-of-fact sleek with a solid sense of humor. Like her domino cutting boards. As she explains it, “The qualities I appreciate in friends I also value in furniture; they must be playful, resourceful, emotionally stable (tables carry a lot of weight), and go against the grain.”

I love artists who don’t fit the traditional mold, don’t you? Tell me: Do you enjoy a hobby or a skill where you’re kind of an anomaly?

1 susan September 6, 2012 at 8:31 am

She’s gorgeous and talented with a sense of humor………great combination. Love the cutting boards.

2 Sharon @ Discovering blog September 6, 2012 at 8:37 am

How totally awesome!
I don’t have a hobby where I’m an anomaly, but any time that I see a woman riding a motorcycle, I want to reach out of my car and give her a high five. I don’t have the nerve to do it, but love that there are women who do.

3 Design Mom September 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Oh man! I love that, Sharon. Now I want to high-five women on motorcycles too.

Recently, I took a motorcycle taxi from Charles de Gaulle airport to the Montparnasse train station. It was terrifying! But I felt cool. : )

4 bdaiss September 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

Love Greta (and her Chicago connection)! I played hockey all through college and a bit beyond. Had to give it up when I moved out here to the sticks and had kids though. I’m also an anomaly among my friends as a quilter, crafter, and gardener (along with canning and such). Seems those skills our grandmothers considered everyday necessities are now talents cherished by a few. (Although I am glad to see their resurgence in recent years. It just hasn’t happened in my circle yet. When both parents work outside the house full time, it’s much more difficult to squeeze in.)

5 val September 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

No anomaly here :( But, I think Greta’s work is amazing! I especially love the beautiful marriage of wood and metal in her barstools. So very cool!

6 Design Mom September 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I have a thing for metal + wood too.

7 mxadams September 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I am a 22 year old leather craftsman (leathercraft1990.deviantart.com) when you think of leather worker most people think of the older generation with gnarled hands. People are always supprised at what I look like… and what I like to do.

8 julia September 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Not currently, but in we built most our models in the shop with saws, sanders + power tools. I miss it, my husband and I would like to add a studio/shop space.

9 Emily September 7, 2012 at 7:16 am

I do have a hobby where I’m an anomaly, as a matter of fact. I’m seventeen and one of my two major hobbies is genealogy. Every family member I’ve come across in my research and corresponded with is in their 50s or 60s. Apparently there aren’t any teenagers who are interested in genealogy?